Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

27 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Folk don’t like it, but this squad are a group without a real winner in there. They are serial losers.

55 was amazing, but it was a fluke season, and they’ve absolutely crumbled for the other 4/5 years.

Needs a complete clear out. 

Then that's still on Gio.

He's signed half a dozen née players. He's re-signed 4 others who had gone out of contract including senior players.

If there's still no leaders and serial losers then he is culpable for not addressing it.

5 hours ago, Vision said:

I think the whole fan base want to see young McCann in there. 

I was really hoping Kamara got his move, great player for us in Europe on his day but just blowing to hot and cold at the moment, the money brought in could have got us two players at least. 

And now his value will plummet. We really have geniuses in charge

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Folk don’t like it, but this squad are a group without a real winner in there. They are serial losers.

55 was amazing, but it was a fluke season, and they’ve absolutely crumbled for the other 4/5 years.

Needs a complete clear out. 

What do people expect to happen when a new manager comes in and has to work with the same group of jokers?

Goldson said the team had lost hunger after winning 1 trophy after a semi final defeat with his new manager in the stands. What chance anyone got working with this lot, should of got rid of them when we had the chance.

1 minute ago, Smell the hotdog said:

What do people expect to happen when a new manager comes in and has to work with the same group of jokers?

Goldson said the team had lost hunger after winning 1 trophy after a semi final defeat with his new manager in the stands. What chance anyone got working with this lot, should of got rid of them when we had the chance.

And yet we gave five of them new deals this Summer. A decision that I’m sure the manager had plenty of input in. They might be serial losers, but he had his chance to get rid of four of them this Summer and it didn’t happen.

32 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

their manager : you can see we belong in the top tier

gio:you need millions to compete at this level

One is chatting shit and the other isn’t… we cannot compete at champions league level. Finishing third would be spectacular.

I don't get why we would pay millions for players to leave them on the bench. If they're fit enough to be on the bench, they are fit enough to play. Davies should be playing and Yilmaz should be getting at least a look in. 

7 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

So why sanction their new deals?

I expect the manager to use transfer windows to improve the squad and if players are jokers/ serial losers then not to offer them contracts.

That interview will haunt him going forward.  But lets face facts he was under no illusion of the job he has to do. 

Tactics were utter pish and we desperately needed a massive overhaul in the summer which didn't actually happen as we just signed up the same players for another year.  We should have sold Kamara and Kent in the summer and actually had targets to bring in.  Surely we don't actually need a replacement for Kamara is that not what Sands is for?

Fair enough out with the Summer we have spent very little over the last few windows and now brought in vast sums for a few players.  If our Model is the Ajax model then start to play the youngsters not just 10 mins here and there. 

8 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

And yet we gave five of them new deals this Summer. A decision that I’m sure the manager had plenty of input in. They might be serial losers, but he had his chance to get rid of four of them this Summer and it didn’t happen.

We had chance to get rid of majority of them past 3 seasons, they all stayed. One constant in that, Wilson.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So why sanction their new deals?

I expect the manager to use transfer windows to improve the squad and if players are jokers/ serial losers then not to offer them contracts.

He will have been told what he’s got to spend, likes of Arfield Davis are easy to renew rather than find millions to replace. Mcgregor not so much, baffling decision. 

Kent should have been pushed out the door, why he’s been allowed to what looks like run his deal down is a joke. Goldson 90% of us were happy to sign a new deal, looking like a poor decision now.

I’m not absolving gio of all blame, he’s got to take his share I just don’t see how a new manager gets a tune out of a group who’ve consistently let us down.

6 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

We had chance to get rid of majority of them past 3 seasons, they all stayed. One constant in that, Wilson.

Stop it.

Goldson, arfield, Davis, mcgregor were all under contract until the summer.

Gio has wanted or agreed to it for all 4 and its a complete cop-out to blame Wilson whilst laying no fault with Gio.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Stop it.

Goldson, arfield, Davis, mcgregor were all under contract until the summer.

Gio has wanted or agreed to it for all 4 and its a complete cop-out to blame Wilson whilst laying no fault with Gio.

Hmm if Gio wanted McGregor to stay why did Gio bring him on to say goodbye in the cup final? :lol:

Also… everyone was pretty happy when Goldson renewed.

4 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

He will have been told what he’s got to spend, likes of Arfield Davis are easy to renew rather than find millions to replace. Mcgregor not so much, baffling decision. 

Kent should have been pushed out the door, why he’s been allowed to what looks like run his deal down is a joke. Goldson 90% of us were happy to sign a new deal, looking like a poor decision now.

I’m not absolving gio of all blame, he’s got to take his share I just don’t see how a new manager gets a tune out of a group who’ve consistently let us down.

Of course he's got a budget, every manager does but fights for more, especially after guaranteeing more money than the budget was originally for.

Wilson deserves huge criticism but Gio has wanted or sanctioned these players returning. If that's the best he can do with his budget then it's appalling. Multiple signings across the city from players k own to the manager or scouted have already looked huge successful for minimal outlay.

And btw the re-signing players won't be that cheap, they'll likely still be on good wages and have cost us in agents fees or signing on fees in the case of Goldson.

Haven't noticed you blaming Gio, just defending / excusing him tbh.

Just now, Big Al 55 said:

To be fair lots of us were lauding Goldson contract as deal of the summer. I appreciate some don’t like him but seems to me the majority do.

We needed him and many including me thought his performances dipped because of his deal running out.

His form is utter pish just now

7 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Wilson is however he is not the person that signs the checks. For years now since Pedro the board have been talking of developing players to sell and until this season this has not happened.

Even now when you look at the squad you would struggle to see where the next major sale is coming from. They are the ones sanctioning extending contracts for the likes of Davis etc rather than saying to the manger we either need to replace or promote our youth. Ever since Robertson said "20 million minimum" for Morelos his hands have been tied.

Unless we get a manager in after GIO who wants to control the signings and actually believes in developing players we will keep on signing players 26/27/28 with little or no resale value simply because the next manager wants results.

3 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

Hmm if Gio wanted McGregor to stay why did Gio bring him on to say goodbye in the cup final? :lol:

Also… everyone was pretty happy when Goldson renewed.

All the eejits that defend him every week on here were happy he renewed , some of us have seen for a long time hes the major problem in our team.