Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

He will be here for quite awhile yet.

His European success last season without a doubt saved him because the league collapse was remarkably bad and if we hadn’t done so well in the EL he would already be away imo.

Mind boggling how well Ange has worked out for them tbh. I honestly thought he was going to be a complete disaster, but apparently an arrogant nobody is exactly what you need to win the title in Scotland 

10 hours ago, KingKirk said:

To me our priority is the league title. To Rangers football I feel the priority is European football. There is the disconnect between the board and the fans imo. It needs fixed fast.

Apart from Walter Smith the Manchester run and big eck getting us to the last 16 of champions league. We've never been brilliant in Europe but we had some fantastic nights. Come May we had cups and titles to celebrate that always triumphed the disappointing European campaign.  

I'd take a few poor years in Europe if it meant a period of dominance domestically sadly that's not the boards priority anymore. 

That's because no Europe = no money to win the league.

Back to the Europe-less days with Warburton/Pedro/Murty. Brilliant. 

25 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

His European success last season without a doubt saved him because the league collapse was remarkably bad and if we hadn’t done so well in the EL he would already be away imo.

Mind boggling how well Ange has worked out for them tbh. I honestly thought he was going to be a complete disaster, but apparently an arrogant nobody is exactly what you need to win the title in Scotland 

He won't be if results and performances don't pick up domestically. Europe will only give Gio so much credit. 

If we fall further behind our fanbase is going to turn. Everyone board, Wilson and Gio will be getting it. In those situations it's the manager that's usually disposable. Need to see changes and improvement from gio right away. 

Thought the same with postecoglou. It looked like their version of Pedro. The frustration is he figured this league out quickly. Gio is still far too respecting of these teams.

9 hours ago, KingKirk said:

To me our priority is the league title. To Rangers football I feel the priority is European football. There is the disconnect between the board and the fans imo. It needs fixed fast.

Apart from Walter Smith the Manchester run and big eck getting us to the last 16 of champions league. We've never been brilliant in Europe but we had some fantastic nights. Come May we had cups and titles to celebrate that always triumphed the disappointing European campaign.  

I'd take a few poor years in Europe if it meant a period of dominance domestically sadly that's not the boards priority anymore. 

I agree. However I don't think we need to trade one off for another to be honest. With the standard of the other teams in this league we should have a squad and manager capable of playing midweek and then making some changes for the weekend. Problem is we don't. Most big teams in other more competitive leagues can manage both in the first half of the season. When we go deep like last year then I totally understand it can have an effect. 

31 minutes ago, Unionblue said:

When I saw gio hugging that  idiot and colak attempting to hug that other clown I knew we were living in different days,  does the club understand these cunts tried to permanently destroy us?  Moreover, do they actually give a flying fuck ? 

Good questions !  Perhaps the board, and the players should all be sat down and given a wee  (recent) history lesson.  Whether it would make any difference I don't know.

We need to reset and get back to being hard to beat as a minimum. When Gerrard came in that's what he done first was make us hard to beat and build from there. It feels like with gio we are trying to do the complicated and fancy stuff but we have lost our foundation. We need to be hard to beat and work harder than the other team. If you do that your always in with a chance in the tough games. It's clear as day we aren't working on the basics in training and it's probably out of arrogance. Look at our corners ffs at both ends for a start it's a disgrace. I honestly feel a lot of our problems fall on the manager and coaching staff. 

12 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

He won't be if results and performances don't pick up domestically. Europe will only give Gio so much credit. 

If we fall further behind our fanbase is going to turn. Everyone board, Wilson and Gio will be getting it. In those situations it's the manager that's usually disposable. Need to see changes and improvement from gio right away. 

Thought the same with postecoglou. It looked like their version of Pedro. The frustration is he figured this league out quickly. Gio is still far too respecting of these teams.

Did he figure out the league?

He seems to have come here and implemented his preferred style of football without making any changes to it whatsoever and fuck the consequences.

He's repeatedly said he's going to do the same in European football too even if that means they get hammered.

There's nothing particularly clever about it.

If he gets the chance at an EPL job he'll win 4-0 one week and lose 6-0 the next.

Gio’s turgid domestic brand of football has been shown up to be somewhat flawed. No getting away from it. He badly needs to change it and galling to say but he needs to get us coming out of the traps like them at a far higher tempo than we are currently seeing. Why do I have a depressing feeling that he just won’t ?😞

16 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Craig Moore talked about how the Aussie was a good manager but was told to shut the fuck up on here. However he would have been out by October had we done the business in those early matches. We gave him a lifeline. Sickening.

17 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

He also fucked up the final with his Ramsey on for a penalty shite so it’s not all goodwill in that department.

1 hour ago, Dickie said:

He also fucked up the final with his Ramsey on for a penalty shite so it’s not all goodwill in that department.

Mate no manager in the world is getting the sack for losing a penalty shootout :lol:

I don’t believe in bringing players on especially for penalties when they haven’t played any significant part of the actual game, but end of the day Ramsey is arguably falling into the world class bracket of football players so there will have been absolutely zero blow back towards Gio for thinking he would be capable of taking a penalty in that final.

We punched well above our weight to get to that final last season so nothing he did during it was going to impact his job security. 

Europe got him out of jail last season.

He's not going to get out of jail with Europe this season, we will be lucky to take 4 points in this group.

The problems run far deeper than GVB. Nothing will change until Wilson, at a minimum, is removed from the club. However GVB will be the fall guy later in the season.

- No idea where GVB's signings are, or people he's had an eye on.  Even though he's more pragmatic than many famous Dutch managers, I do worry he only rates players at his old level, at Barcelona or Bayern Munich type of level, and trying to play beyond our capabilities.  We end up not recruiting because we can't get players at that level, and end up with the sales bin.  Or rather, not embracing the limitations of the players we could get.

- We start the season with such vital European games every season that new signings are less likely to be trusted, and we end up with the Yilmaz situation, and perhaps not signing players before the Champions League because we won't play them in it.

- So strange that nobody tried to mitigate what was an entirely predictable shitshow if the OF went awry.

- Kent's contract situation is from Ripley's Believe it or Not; fuck if players won't sign and they're fit, get them sold.  We're just storing up problems for later.

Gio's thought train should've been clear over the summer ,modify the tactics for games against the fodder( he's not, we're still struggling) , compete in celtic games by any means/tactics necessary , Europe revert to what's worked really well the last few years . 

It looks like he's too one dimensional and ultimately we need a shrewder tactician.

I wished him well but but ultimately it's looking like he's the wrong fit.

3 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Europe got him out of jail last season.

He's not going to get out of jail with Europe this season, we will be lucky to take 4 points in this group.

The problems run far deeper than GVB. Nothing will change until Wilson, at a minimum, is removed from the club. However GVB will be the fall guy later in the season.

He’s already out of jail with the Board by qualifying for the CL. His European record is fantastic, and that’s where the money is. 

I'm not exactly chasing him right now, but tbh if he walked I'd not be disappointed. I'd actually see it as an opportunity to progress again (subject to Board getting right replacement in).

And tbh that's not good enough for Rangers. We need a manager at the top of their game and improving us continuously trophy / results / performance wise. Europe can't excuse domestic failings any longer.

He NEEDS to do better. Now.

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

He’s already out of jail with the Board by qualifying for the CL. His European record is fantastic, and that’s where the money is. 

If we get horsed,  finish 4th and the champs league is a disappointment alongside the league, then pressure mounts and discontent amongst the fans spreads.

This discontent and pressure will be applied to the board as much as Gio, so they'll cover their own arses.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'm not exactly chasing him right now, but tbh if he walked I'd not be disappointed. I'd actually see it as an opportunity to progress again (subject to Board getting right replacement in).

And tbh that's not good enough for Rangers. We need a manager at the top of their game and improving us continuously trophy / results / performance wise. Europe can't excuse domestic failings any longer.

He NEEDS to do better. Now.

Think a bit of slack needa cut for him as well though, the arse collapse at parkhead was spearheaded again by players that were signed in a previous regime who have had many arse collapses

Im not absolving him of blame, but when the likes of kent, tav, goldson and kamara all are off boil or playing shite, we're never getting a result at parkhead 

Dunno whats going on behind the scenes, bit going to the piggery you need fight first and talent second, id much prefer starting with jack and arfield and the loss of Lawrence was a big blow, 

Davis is finished at that level, kamara is a shitebag and lundstram can't carry two other centre mids

Same with up top, colak has been banging them in, but he's never gonna throw his weight around to ruffle them up

And as for that shower of pussies at the back, im separating the usual tav from the OF tav, you'll never see tav leading the line in OF games like gough, butcher, fergie, hell even big amo for all his faults always gave a battle to the likes of sutton and hartson

Our backline now, would you trust them to hammer a tarrier player if need be, could you ask them to lay down a marker, cause i wouldnt

Dunno if you mind the 5-1 game at ibrox after they scudded us 6-2, ricksen had a mare at parkhead, bobby petta ran him ragged, next game wee dick played reyna at right back, within 6mins iirc ge had put petta into the middle of the govan front, took a booking but knocked the wee cunt right out of his game, 

Absolutely not one of our backline would do that to jota, they are too pussylike

14 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Think a bit of slack needa cut for him as well though, the arse collapse at parkhead was spearheaded again by players that were signed in a previous regime who have had many arse collapses

Im not absolving him of blame, but when the likes of kent, tav, goldson and kamara all are off boil or playing shite, we're never getting a result at parkhead 

Dunno whats going on behind the scenes, bit going to the piggery you need fight first and talent second, id much prefer starting with jack and arfield and the loss of Lawrence was a big blow, 

Davis is finished at that level, kamara is a shitebag and lundstram can't carry two other centre mids

Same with up top, colak has been banging them in, but he's never gonna throw his weight around to ruffle them up

And as for that shower of pussies at the back, im separating the usual tav from the OF tav, you'll never see tav leading the line in OF games like gough, butcher, fergie, hell even big amo for all his faults always gave a battle to the likes of sutton and hartson

Our backline now, would you trust them to hammer a tarrier player if need be, could you ask them to lay down a marker, cause i wouldnt

Dunno if you mind the 5-1 game at ibrox after they scudded us 6-2, ricksen had a mare at parkhead, bobby petta ran him ragged, next game wee dick played reyna at right back, within 6mins iirc ge had put petta into the middle of the govan front, took a booking but knocked the wee cunt right out of his game, 

Absolutely not one of our backline would do that to jota, they are too pussylike

I get much of that and as I said I'm not chasing him. But I've got big and increasing concerns.

If he thinks players are too inconsistent then why renew Goldson and the golden oldies? If he can get better why not demand the sales of Kent, Morelos, Kamara in the summer? Are they all still all playing for him? Can he not resolve inconsistencies one week to the next in his players?

Where are the signings that make benefit from his past experiences ie the Dutch league? 

Is he the manager or a coach of players brought in for him?

The buck will always stop at the manager. He's signed (or renewed) players and too many aren't cutting it. And too many of the others aren't great either.

It's his gig to lose and unless he gets them consistently playing better and getting results domestically then he'll be out. It's just a matter of when.

8 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Mate no manager in the world is getting the sack for losing a penalty shootout :lol:

I don’t believe in bringing players on especially for penalties when they haven’t played any significant part of the actual game, but end of the day Ramsey is arguably falling into the world class bracket of football players so there will have been absolutely zero blow back towards Gio for thinking he would be capable of taking a penalty in that final.

We punched well above our weight to get to that final last season so nothing he did during it was going to impact his job security. 

Where the fuck did I say he should have been sacked for the Ramsey penalty fuck up.

When the fuck was Ramsey world class and he wasn’t even half decent with us. 
We all agree Gio did brilliantly to get us to the final but he fucked it up big style,he was hired to win the league and is proving to be a complete dud domestically and self preservation will see this shambles of a board bin him once the protests start.

3 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Where the fuck did I say he should have been sacked for the Ramsey penalty fuck up.

When the fuck was Ramsey world class and he wasn’t even half decent with us. 
We all agree Gio did brilliantly to get us to the final but he fucked it up big style,he was hired to win the league and is proving to be a complete dud domestically and self preservation will see this shambles of a board bin him once the protests start.

First of all you need to calm down, you’re coming across as completely unhinged. 

Secondly you quoted a post saying that our European exploits had saved him last season and said that it had only given him a certain amount of leeway because of how poorly he handled the penalty shoot out selection. There was no chance anything he did regarding that final was going to harm his job at all.

Ramsey at full fitness is arguably in the world class category of footballer. Fact is if he wasn’t so injury prone we wouldn’t have been anywhere near him. You don’t go from Juventus wanting you to be a starter for them to being on loan with us unless you were a top level of player and something has went south somewhere along the line.

I find it incredible that you think his level is even that much up for debate. Although maybe that’s not what you mean as you clearly struggle to articulate yourself very well and feel the need to swear repeatedly.