Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

5 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Ironically, our best source of encouragement in this current state actually comes from across the city.

In the 55 season, they imploded with Lennon and Liewell among the casualties. They ended the season in complete disarray with Eddie Howe leading them on for months.

They found Postecoglou, he rebuilt almost from scratch and now they’re clear favourites for back to back titles.

If they can do it, so can we but I’d rather we didn’t dive any deeper into the manure because it just makes the recovery that much tougher.

He’s spent close to 40 million though. Which is money we just don’t have. Can’t think of any serious transfer fee we can expect either now for one of our players.

But the time constraint is a valid point. He needed two windows to get them firing. So if we want to have a shot at next year. We need to punt Wilson and Gio now

6 hours ago, A.T.G said:

Kent and Tillman got it tight a few times they fucked it up. Thought we were pish tbh and any half decent side would have caught us on the break.

I’m not looking forward to playing the scum with Tav, King, Davies and Barasic as the back four. Sands and Lundstram together with Tillman who is as energetic as a 50 year old is some fucking midfield man. Horrible to watch tbh 

We should have a lot of injured players back by then. 

No need to slash your wrists yet. 

10 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Those holding onto some hope that injured players will turn it all around are kidding themselves on.

Probably only talking Lawrence and Goldson who would be in starting line up and we still have no set style of play, no set starting line up and zero athleticism amongst squad.

Depends on the attitude of the players who return from injury 

15 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Those holding onto some hope that injured players will turn it all around are kidding themselves on.

Probably only talking Lawrence and Goldson who would be in starting line up and we still have no set style of play, no set starting line up and zero athleticism amongst squad.

Even with a fully fit squad, our CMs and wingers are appalling. 

10 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Out of who is available who should he have started instead of Matondo? Wright, while excellent IMO when he came on against tired legs, and the catalyst for our win, has received tons of abuse on here for his playing ability.

I would've played a different shape to be honest , however GIO plays the same way hence Matondo started , his cameo on Sunday forewarned us so last nights performance wasn't a surprise ,if Gio maintains the same  shape on Saturday then Wright should start. It seems Matondo is only suited to the left side. 

2 minutes ago, mark1963 said:

Another issue many of us have with Gio is his refusal to change tactics, a case in point is sticking with outswinging corners , we seldom capatilise and often succumb to a breakaway. 

Spot on.

The corners clearly don’t work and he sticks to the same corner every time. You want to be dropping the ball in between the keeper and the centre backs with the forward momentum of the ball you generally just need a glance. With the ball moving away from the goal you need to generate power which will only happen if the player is making a run into the box (our players largely have a standing start).

Even when it’s played short it’s then an outswinger, then we get cross from open play which are also outswingers.

We are also piss poor at counter attacks ourselves. Last night in the second half I can’t recall who won the ball back just inside our half, played it to Tilman and instead of turning and going forward with the ball he rolled it sideways to borna when he had space and time to turn and run at the defence. This let hearts get their shape back, the ball then came to him again and once more played it safely.

I don’t know if the above is an example of the players issues or the managers or both, but it happens an awful lot. If you win back possession the other team have lost their defensive shape and that’s when you run at the defence as they’ll rush to player on the ball which creates space for your other attackers.

If Gio is trying to do this the players aren’t listening and if he isn’t telling them to do this what is he telling them to do?

1 hour ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Spot on.

The corners clearly don’t work and he sticks to the same corner every time. You want to be dropping the ball in between the keeper and the centre backs with the forward momentum of the ball you generally just need a glance. With the ball moving away from the goal you need to generate power which will only happen if the player is making a run into the box (our players largely have a standing start).

Even when it’s played short it’s then an outswinger, then we get cross from open play which are also outswingers.

We are also piss poor at counter attacks ourselves. Last night in the second half I can’t recall who won the ball back just inside our half, played it to Tilman and instead of turning and going forward with the ball he rolled it sideways to borna when he had space and time to turn and run at the defence. This let hearts get their shape back, the ball then came to him again and once more played it safely.

I don’t know if the above is an example of the players issues or the managers or both, but it happens an awful lot. If you win back possession the other team have lost their defensive shape and that’s when you run at the defence as they’ll rush to player on the ball which creates space for your other attackers.

If Gio is trying to do this the players aren’t listening and if he isn’t telling them to do this what is he telling them to do?

i dont know how many times ive seen this under gio, it's obvious this is what he tells the players rather than attacking, i did my nut in seeing borna do this against ajax and you could tell he wasn't happy having to stop and play back to the midfielder

1 hour ago, mark1963 said:

Another issue many of us have with Gio is his refusal to change tactics, a case in point is sticking with outswinging corners , we seldom capatilise and often succumb to a breakaway. 

We had 20 corners against Saints, fuckin' 20! and did the square root of fuck all with each and every one of them, actually disgusts me.

5 minutes ago, Goofy The Scot said:

We had 20 corners against Saints, fuckin' 20! and did the square root of fuck all with each and every one of them, actually disgusts me.

1.27% of corners in football worldwide leads to goals, they’re not the goal scoring opportunity people seem to think they are 

Corners are another strange one for me.

We are consistently going with out swinging corners which imo limits your chances, but we also take a winger out to stand next to the taker and very rarely play it short so what is the point?

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned on here, but I thought it was interesting that the stadium announcer last night didn’t introduce Gio, Vos and Makaay as he usually would.

Seems to be an indication the club know the manager is unpopular.

20 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

1.27% of corners in football worldwide leads to goals, they’re not the goal scoring opportunity people seem to think they are 

Also, i didnt know gio took all of our corners, im defo sure I've seen barisic and tav take some, and if they see outwingers arent working and dont decide to take it upon themselves to change it then they are every bit as culpable