Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

To the board’s credit the finances are looking much better despite having a  clueless manager in charge of the team.

That's all well and good but if they want to be running a successful football club they better improve quickly or we could find ourselves chasing the rodents across the city for some time to come.

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

OK, let’s look at who is missing and the impact they might have had.

Goldson, Hagi, Helander, Souttar, Jack, Roofe, Davies, Yilmaz, Lawrence, Morelos probably missed more games than the others with occasional knock.

In defence, Goldson has been a miss and we certainly wouldn’t have conceded CL goals at the same rate with him. Helander, if fit, would also probably have played and a settled pairing with Goldson would have helped. However, he is no Franco Baresi as some on here would have you believe.

Souttar, Yilmaz, Davies and Roofe are irrelevant as they would not be in the first team.

Jack’s sporadic injuries and Lawrence are probably the biggest loss. A settled midfield would have made a big difference. But there is plenty of cover, the problem is tactics.

Sorry but a few first-teasers doesn’t excuse the huge loss of points, nor the CL embarrassment 

I dont think thats a fair assumption mate. Helander was regularly our best defender and Roofe when fit is a brilliant footballer. 

If we dont get rid of him we need to back him with new players as the squad was never improved on adequately. We stood still. My biggest issue is that he repeatedly said he was happy with his squad and wasnt looking to add more. 

2 minutes ago, WWTC said:

If we dont get rid of him we need to back him with new players as the squad was never improved on adequately. We stood still. My biggest issue is that he repeatedly said he was happy with his squad and wasnt looking to add more. 

My biggest issue is we have a squad good enough to compete in Scotland even with injuries and how he took a team that were fit and playing decent stuff to this level. 

I wouldn't trust him with money or new players. 

Just now, sausagetrunks said:

My biggest issue is we have a squad good enough to compete in Scotland even with injuries and how he took a team that were fit and playing decent stuff to this level. 

I dont think our squads anywhere near good enough to win a league and cups and compete in europe. Not even close.

8 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Know what you’re saying mate. I just don’t feel the confidence at all to get on the “In Gio we trust” wagon at all. 

Just now, Hadron Collider said:

Know what you’re saying mate. I just don’t feel the confidence at all to get on the “In Gio we trust” wagon at all. 

I agree with this completely, but if he’s being backed then he needs backing in terms of players. Its as if some believe a new coach will turn it all around and we’ll be world beater. We’re absolutely pish, and that’ll take players to correct it.

33 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

It’s Wilson I don’t trust more than Gio mate. 

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Perhaps your theory is fucked after a consistent team playing consistently in Europe and a so close final and a cup final win.  

injuries are why teams faulter. 

And ridiculous tactics and a stubborn attitude don't help either. 

32 minutes ago, WWTC said:

I agree with this completely, but if he’s being backed then he needs backing in terms of players. Its as if some believe a new coach will turn it all around and we’ll be world beater. We’re absolutely pish, and that’ll take players to correct it.

I'd be confident that another manager could get more of a tune out of these players than Gio. We do need signings though. We lack genuine quality.

On 18/11/2022 at 13:50, Garnock Blue said:

1 year of Giovanni Van Bronckhorst at Rangers 

His record...

Games - 68
Wins - 42
Draws - 11
Defeats - 15
Goals for - 135
Goals Against - 77
Total Points - 137
Av. Points per Game - 2.01
1x Scottish Cup

He needs to go, but the EL final has to be included in his record.

1 minute ago, BelfastWillie said:

It does, as getting there was some achievement.  But we're going backwards.  The worst ever CL group stage performance - and the lack of fight, drive, ambition, that is required to get this embarrassing honour - should never belong to a Rangers team.  

17 minutes ago, left winger said:

He needs to go, but the EL final has to be included in his record.

It does, as getting there was some achievement.  But we're going backwards.  The worst ever CL group stage performance - and the lack of fight, drive, ambition, that is required to get this embarrassing honour - should never belong to a Rangers team.  

I've Probably set myself up for years of ridicule when this turns out not to be true.

The board seem focused on measurable objectives of "success" rather than emotoin based decisions. As reported last week on H&H, he had a points tally of 91 over 38 games, a haul which would win the league most years if across an entire season.

He's also made a European final and qualified for the champions league. So if you take those cold, hard fact and remove emotion or comparison with another club then they will view him as a "success".

They've got over the worst of the criticism as well and bought themselves 3 or 4 weeks of calm so I don't see why they would sack him now.

So doesn't make any sense to me. Hopefully I'm wrong though.