Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

12 minutes ago, MK Dumfries said:

Yeah dortmund and red star was terrible🙈 you ungrateful cunt   

If it wasn't for mcgregor red star put us out but ok I'll give u that. What about domestically turning 6 point lead into a deficit since January? 

5 minutes ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

We haven’t regressed massively since he came in. When he took over we got a nice wee new manager bump and things looked rosy before the players went back to their half arsed pish. We’ve regressed since then but only to the point we were already at with Gerrard. Yeah Gerrard left us top of the league but the warning signs were already there, we were conceding first in almost every game and struggling badly.

The players are the problem here. We’ve got too many squad players who contribute nothing and our best players are either injured all the time or know they’re too good to get dropped so don’t perform like their place depends on it. You say he had January to bring his own players in, do you think he decided he wanted expensive loan signings and a nobody from Poland? The fact we had a European quarter final last night and not one of the January signings made it onto the pitch speaks volumes for me. 

50% win record since January in all competitions. That is massive regression.

The players are the problem. The management are the problem. The board are the problem. 

That's what I'm saying, we have zero clue about what he wants, the style of play hes trying in install or what hes trying to achieve. Everything basically hinges on the fact of the players turning up or not. If a manager can't manage that situation then is he really strong enough to continue going forward?

So you're saying he has an issue with Wilson? Everyone and their cat could see not playing Ramsey last night was a massive clanger.

10 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Was the players he got a Feyenoord "his players" or players he inherited from the previous manager? 

What even his a "Gio player"? Players that were good in Holland 5 years ago? Would they all come from the expensive dutch market? How many could he bring in? Would they all get work permits that are alot more difficult to achieve these days? 

His managerial ability with this squad says enough for me. Giving him time is basically until November. 

Are you suggesting he won the title due to an inherited squad of players?

That him blending a team with best of academy youth and experience,d players, including his signings,  on the cheap, and against opponents spending far more didn't happen?

11 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

All of your attacking midfielders and forwards out with your main striker should be 10 goals and 10 assists a season. 

I hate comparing but it’s necessary. 

Aribo, Kent, Arfield, Sakala. IIRC it’s 17 goals between them all season. 

Maeda, Giakomakis, Furuhashi and Abada have 46. Maeda has scored 6 goals in 3 month and will finish with more than Kent and Arfield combined over a full season, it’s actually pathetic how little they contribute. 

These stats are scary af.

29 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Similar openness from the fans would be good aswell, considering the majority of us were watching flight trackers n creaming our pants about getting him in! Like the board the majority thought it was a great appointment.

He was my first choice. A manager with experience and trophies on his CV. Felt like a good fit. 

However seeing red flags that happened with other failed managers in our time. 

After a good start we've been getting progressively worse since January bar Europe. 50% win rate and a 12 point swing in the league. 

We're not seeing what tactical game plan he's going for and some of his recent decisions have been baffling to say the least.  

I get the needs time and own players argument. But you want to see something to justify that time and right now gio isn't putting a strong argument forward. 

If we go crashing out of Europe and Scottish cup next week I really think we see a full turn on him. 

It would be disaster getting him out now. We need investment to Give him a good  transfer window and see what he brings in . Champions League still possible with Qualifiers I'm hoping Ross Wilson looking at to bringing in at least 10 new players and get rid of half of the present Squad while they still have value.

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

50% win record since January in all competitions. That is massive regression.

The players are the problem. The management are the problem. The board are the problem. 

That's what I'm saying, we have zero clue about what he wants, the style of play hes trying in install or what hes trying to achieve. Everything basically hinges on the fact of the players turning up or not. If a manager can't manage that situation then is he really strong enough to continue going forward?

65% win record since he came in, pretty standard record for a Rangers manager. Broadly similar to Souness, both Smith spells, Advocaat, McLeish, and virtually every manager we’ve had. 

I disagree that we don’t know what he wants or what style of play he wants to achieve. I think it’s pretty obvious when you look at the square pegs he’s putting in round holes. He wants quick wingers creating width, full backs pushing forward, a centre forward who can hold up play and bring midfield runners into the game. I simply think he doesn’t have any faith in our squad. I can’t blame him because I don’t have much faith in them either. The refusal to use the January signings to me is a message to the board. 

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Are you suggesting he won the title due to an inherited squad of players?

That him blending a team with best of academy youth and experience,d players, including his signings,  on the cheap, and against opponents spending far more didn't happen?

Merely asking the question. Every manager inherits players from the previous. Managed 3rd then 1st then 4th. Spent about the same as Ajax in the 1st season then Ajax spent much more after getting a huge amounts for 3 players. 

Gio spent money after winning the league and ended up 4th. 

6 minutes ago, Orange and Blue said:

It would be disaster getting him out now. We need investment to Give him a good  transfer window and see what he brings in . Champions League still possible with Qualifiers I'm hoping Ross Wilson looking at to bringing in at least 10 new players and get rid of half of the present Squad while they still have value.

How is getting rid of someone who has been hopeless a disaster?

2 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

You're at it

They werw shite, shite players that was obvious, but they took the lead twice against the tarriers at hampden, didn't crumble when pegged back twice, and came back against hibs in the final only to do their usual and not defend set pieces

Absolutely no chance this current mob do that

Aye warburtons teams will have had their moments of making a cunt of it, but imo that ead mostly down to being honkingly bad at football and not being shitebags

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Merely asking the question. Every manager inherits players from the previous. Managed 3rd then 1st then 4th. Spent about the same as Ajax in the 1st season then Ajax spent much more after getting a huge amounts for 3 players. 

Gio spent money after winning the league and ended up 4th. 

So what you're saying, but not wanting to actually say, is that he rebuilt the squad which won their title.

Out of interest, would he have won their title if sacked in his first season?

2 minutes ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

65% win record since he came in, pretty standard record for a Rangers manager. Broadly similar to Souness, both Smith spells, Advocaat, McLeish, and virtually every manager we’ve had. 

I disagree that we don’t know what he wants or what style of play he wants to achieve. I think it’s pretty obvious when you look at the square pegs he’s putting in round holes. He wants quick wingers creating width, full backs pushing forward, a centre forward who can hold up play and bring midfield runners into the game. I simply think he doesn’t have any faith in our squad. I can’t blame him because I don’t have much faith in them either. The refusal to use the January signings to me is a message to the board. 

So a manager that uses square players in round holes? Does that sound like great managing to you? 

He wants wingers creating width yet consistently puts a right footed winger on the left and a left footed on the right? Barely ever seen the full backs push forward unless we turn into a back 5. Fantastic wanting a centre forward who can hold up play when we have only one forward who does that. Midfield runners? :lol: running side to side and backwards maybe.

If that's what he is trying to achieve then he is failing massively doing it. 

41 minutes ago, NI said:

These stats are scary af.

Not really. For starters, those players have scored 25 goals between them, so it’s a pretty shite comparison already. Arfield and Aribo mainly play in central midfield for us, whereas all four of the tarriers are out-and-out attackers. If you compare those 4 to Roofe, Morelos, Sakala, and Kent, then the papes have scored 46 to 44 between our 4. Not really so scary any more. Kent only has 3 goals but he’s also got 16 assists. 

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So what you're saying, but not wanting to actually say, is that he rebuilt the squad which won their title.

Out of interest, would he have won their title if sacked in his first season?

Finishing 3rd for Feyenoord is good enough for them. Winning it is over achieving. He can't win a title if he is sacked. Finishing 2nd for us in the league is not good enough, especially behind a celtic team thrown together at the last minute.

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

They werw shite, shite players that was obvious, but they took the lead twice against the tarriers at hampden, didn't crumble when pegged back twice, and came back against hibs in the final only to do their usual and not defend set pieces

Aye warburtons teams will have had their moments of making a cunt of it, but imo that ead mostly down to being honkingly bad at football and not being shitebags

Blew a cup final against Hibs.

Could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Hamilton in our first game in the top flight for four years.

Got scudded 5-1 by celtic

Hearts 4 Rangers 1.

They were shite at football and they were spineless cowards.

1 hour ago, Copland bear said:

It's not the managers fault the board failed to invest in the squad,   Gio deserves a chance as he took over a team who were playing pish poor and were only top of the league because the tarriers where so poor.

Changes will happen the next transfer window and Gio can bring in his own players and then we can judge him.  

The buck stops with the players and with no investment the team have become stale.  

This.

i think folk are forgetting that outwith 55 this team have won fuck all trophies in 4 years and, to be brutally honest, celtic imploded last season removing all pressure from their shoulders. 

With pressure, their form falls off a cliff: did so under Gerrard, doing so under GVB.

The club have failed to implement their much heralded sustainable model of buying low & selling high, missing the boat with several players.

I’d give GVB two transfer windows to allow him to get shot of the dead wood and bring in players he values both in terms of ability and spirit.

12 minutes ago, Johnstone Burgh said:

Croc Dundee has a 71% win record with a thrown together team that's been pumped out of 3 european competitions. 65% is similar to previous managers over a greater spell of time. That win ratio of Gios is dwindling down fast.

1 minute ago, beararse said:

This.

i think folk are forgetting that outwith 55 this team have won fuck all trophies in 4 years and, to be brutally honest, celtic imploded last season removing all pressure from their shoulders. 

With pressure, their form falls off a cliff: did so under Gerrard, doing so under GVB.

The club have failed to implement their much heralded sustainable model of buying low & selling high, missing the boat with several players.

I’d give GVB two transfer windows to allow him to get shot of the dead wood and bring in players he values both in terms of ability and spirit.

Well hes had one already so this summer then?

2 minutes ago, beararse said:

This.

I get that arguement but this season they weren't under any real pressure, if anything everything fell our way!

We were 6 clear at the break, the tarriers just lost their top scorer to injury and had just drawn with St Mirren reserves

We were on a good run, just got through a tough fixture list and had mostly everybody coming back to fitness.

Whatever happened in the 2/3 week break absolutely screwed us, we've not looked the same team ever since. 

Just now, esquire8 said:

Finishing 3rd for Feyenoord is good enough for them. Winning it is over achieving. He can't win a title if he is sacked. Finishing 2nd for us in the league is not good enough, especially behind a celtic team thrown together at the last minute.

So he rebuilt / developed a squad to the extent he over achieved and won a title. Against financially stronger opponents. Is THAT what you're saying? Doesn't sound bad eh, but for some reason you're desperate for it not to be a favourable and positive reflection.

Ffs. That cobbled together team cost in the region of 25m plus llikely hefty loan fees and supplemented some very decent players there ie Rogic  McGregor. Not trying to down play how excellent their domestic form has been to make it seem even worse by GVB are you....(rhetorical)?

13 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

You're using a game where they threw away a lead with 10 minutes to go to claim they wouldn't bottle it hahahahahaha

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

So a manager that uses square players in round holes? Does that sound like great managing to you? 

He wants wingers creating width yet consistently puts a right footed winger on the left and a left footed on the right? Barely ever seen the full backs push forward unless we turn into a back 5. Fantastic wanting a centre forward who can hold up play when we have only one forward who does that. Midfield runners? :lol: running side to side and backwards maybe.

If that's what he is trying to achieve then he is failing massively doing it. 

No but the squad we have right now is dreadful. He’s given squad players chances and they have failed to deliver. The established first team know they won’t get dropped because they don’t have any competition. He can only achieve so much with the players at his disposal, especially when so many of them are playing like amateurs right now. He clearly doesn’t trust the squad, which is why he stubbornly refuses to make subs. 

Playing inverted wingers is irrelevant, we need wide players to stretch teams that play a low block so players can exploit the space that is being left. Right now the players we have are not doing that. Kent is regularly doubled up and even tripled up on, but nobody takes advantage of the gaps that leaves. We don’t have a winger that complements him on the right, which has been an issue for years that has not been addressed.

Saying the full backs don’t push forward is nonsense. For the first few games under Gio the full backs were clearly instructed not to get forward but he dropped this after 8 games or so. Our fullbacks get forward and put crosses into the box just as much as they were doing at the end of Gerrard’s tenure. For some reason they seem to have forgotten how to deliver a ball, but again this was already happening under Gerrard. 

Our players are letting us down badly. Too many of them have stayed a season too long and aren’t enjoying life here any more. The likes of Goldson, Aribo, and Barisic need to go because they can be as bad as a man down at times. We are due a huge rebuild in the summer and I’d be shocked if Gio wasn’t in charge of it.