Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

Ideally we would be looking to get him out the door just as the season ends so the end of May but we need a new executive board to make those decisions. Think if Park n co were going to make the change that's needed we would be seeing movement in the executive board now. If they are all still in place come the end of the season then its highly likely Gio will be manager next season.

15 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I was really trying to remain positive with GVB but I have no idea what we’re trying to do and I think from body language and effort, the players don’t want to play for him anymore. 

Nail on the head here.

The players just don't fear the manager anymore... play good/play bad, there's no consequences for them. 

Could score 3 own goals and probably still be named in the squad the following week.

19 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I was really trying to remain positive with GVB but I have no idea what we’re trying to do and I think from body language and effort, the players don’t want to play for him anymore. 

I have no idea where this has come from. We won 9 on the bounce when he came in now we don’t even look like scoring and are giving up a defensive howler in every single game. 

Ramsey not starting is really pushing me to go off the manager. Lets be honest you’d have started him last night not this weekend and told him you better be fit next week to play 2 games because you’re starting at home to Braga and the cup semi final. 

If he doesn’t start either of those 2 games GVB is finished with me. Ramsey looks like our only creative and goal threat at the moment and that isn’t something I blame GVB for that’s on Wilson that we still rely so heavily on Morelos 3 years later. 

If GVB goes, so does Wilson and Robertson. 

I think you could see with Jack's body language when he came off that something doesn't seem right. 

There's just no motivation or energy at the side of the park to gee the players up. You'd think he'd get animated but he literally stands there like the occasion is overwhelming him. 

I honestly don't think the board will sack him no matter what happens from now until the end of the season. I think they will be happy to give him the summer window and see where we are after that, I hope I'm wrong though. 

36 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

We didn’t look capable of creating clear cut chances let alone scoring last night. The substitutions continue to baffle but worse, we don’t seem to have any kind of system under Gio at the moment, we’re just kind of running about aimlessly. Can’t work out what he’s at. 

That can happen in games. Sometimes things just don’t click, HOWEVER, my biggest concern is the fact that we just kept gifting possession with some truly horrific passing. I lost count the number of times we under-hit/over-hit passes or’ worse still, panicked and played it straight to a Braga player.

6 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

I think you could see with Jack's body language when he came off that something doesn't seem right. 

There's just no motivation or energy at the side of the park to gee the players up. You'd think he'd get animated but he literally stands there like the occasion is overwhelming him. 

I honestly don't think the board will sack him no matter what happens from now until the end of the season. I think they will be happy to give him the summer window and see where we are after that, I hope I'm wrong though. 

I want to see him do well but if in 9 days time we’re out the cup and Europe I think he’ll walk

8 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I want to see him do well but if in 9 days time we’re out the cup and Europe I think he’ll walk

I agree I want him to be a success as well but I genuinely don't think any managers walk these days, it's all about money and they'd rather be pushed with a pocket full of cash than walk without anything. I wish managers would read the room sometimes and walk knowing nobody wants them there but It rarely happens. 

30 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

A guy in the boozer hit the nail on the head last night . We'd given away possession in the middle and they had a chance and we jogged back and gio stayed in his seat and did nothing . He shouted why you no up there giving them fuckin dogs abuse . Looks like the manager doesn't care so why should the players .

I don’t think club will sack him in summer purely down to the fact we can’t afford to pay off him and his whole staff! So he will  most likely start next season as our manager! But the team needs absolutely gutted!

If there is a split between manager and team it’s because imo the team have checked out already! Too many of them aren’t professional enough to do a job for us even if they do want to leave or retire! That’s unforgivable for me! The complete lack of the basics at the moment from our players is embarrassing  

so He has to start from fresh and perhaps with his own players he will go back to the performances before Xmas! Don’t get me wrong that wasn’t always enthralling but at least we were winning!

Id literally keep Bassy, Lundstrum & Jack from first team last night and Sakala would be a squad player for me. Everyone else should be sold or if contacts up let go! 

But we could be back here next season with Gio having failed with his own players and facing another potential rebuild/new manager! I hope he proves me wrong!!

1 hour ago, Gaffbear said:

I love Gio but I'm seeing why some want him out . Ramsey is class yet we leave him out . 3 midfielders doing the same job last night . Sakala playing with his back to goal.  Our defence looking like they've never met ( bassey the exception). 

Too many negatives every week and we're not resolving them .if we go out of Europe and Scottish Cup I feel his time will be up with most supporters. 

I reckon his time with a lot of supporters is already up. I have pretty big doubts myself. Lack of identifiable tactics and use of the squad the main concerns. I would  probably still give him till the end of the season though, its irrelevant anyway cos he  wont be sacked and will be here for the start of next season regardless. No way would our board take such drastic action even if its the correct thing to do.

The worry then is if he cant sort it and we make an arse of the ch/league qualifiers, the atmosphere then would turn pretty poisonous towards him and he would be a dead man walking. We are then looking for a new manager in the autumn and probably writing next season off. Bleak.

Im left hoping against hope that contrary to all the evidence so far that him and wilson make a decent job of a rebuild and he can turn it round next season. 

I think Gio has decided to start planning for next season and install his style of play even though a lot of players aren't comfotable with it.

Gio knows a lot of these players won't be here next season and will be replaced by players who can fit his style of play.

In some ways I can see the sense in that, but it's been a bit premature with 2 cups to play for and still a bit of a chance of the league.

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Even if there is a tactical plan, it goes right out the window when they shitebags realise the opposition are gonna pressure them

I honestly dont think warburtons teams ever crumbled like this mob do

You're at it

Can’t understand the Ramsey situation at all tbh. If you weren’t even going to call on him for 30 mins when we needed a lift, why even bother telling him to board the plane? Likewise with the boy diallo to a lesser extent. 

There’s a feeling of stubbornness and pettiness about the way Gio picks his teams/makes his subs. His way or no way. Regardless or wether it’s working or not. 

4 minutes ago, CrawfordRfc said:

Can’t understand the Ramsey situation at all tbh. If you weren’t even going to call on him for 30 mins when we needed a lift, why even bother telling him to board the plane? Likewise with the boy diallo to a lesser extent. 

There’s a feeling of stubbornness and pettiness about the way Gio picks his teams/makes his subs. His way or no way. Regardless or wether it’s working or not. 

Diallo deserves another chance tbh, guy hasn’t played in ages and is better on the ball than Sakala

1 hour ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Ryan Jack wouldn't have reacted like that with Gerrard which makes me worry about the relationship or respect between Gio and the players. Actually thought it was a bit of a sly dicky move from Jack. A guy who has collected most of his wages from the treatment table. He was also playing pish and on a booking.

It hurts to say because he’s a former player but I don’t see it going well. Maybe if we see huge improvement in the last few weeks of the season and maybe go onto win the cup then maybe another season could be justified.

If he fails to win Cup or Europa (lol) he should 100% be gone but everyone knows the board won’t sack him.

9 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Ryan Jack wouldn't have reacted like that with Gerrard which makes me worry about the relationship or respect between Gio and the players. Actually thought it was a bit of a sly dicky move from Jack. A guy who has collected most of his wages from the treatment table. He was also playing pish and on a booking.

100%, can tell there is a real lack of respect/regards for the current regime amongst far too many players - Aribo, Jack, Kamara and youd also have to assume the likes of Davis aren't happy either.

I thought he would do a good job, seemed like a solid manager with league winning experience.

The fact is we've been terrible under him and the thought of him being here beyond this season is depressing. I don't think the players are blameless here either quite a few of them look like they can't be arsed.

I would love us to go for someone like Kjetil Knutsen, the Bodo Glimt manager. He has them unbeaten since August, they perform well in Europe and by all accounts play high pressing, attractive football.

It's not the managers fault the board failed to invest in the squad,   Gio deserves a chance as he took over a team who were playing pish poor and were only top of the league because the tarriers where so poor.

Changes will happen the next transfer window and Gio can bring in his own players and then we can judge him.  

The buck stops with the players and with no investment the team have become stale.