What do we need next season?

13 hours ago, Bears r us said:

I know this will not be a popular opinion (because of his stats) but I think we need to get rid of Tav, his time as captain has been hellish with losing cup games and just one league win in a strange season.

If he stays I hope the manager (whoever he is) would at least take the armband from him, we surely cannot continue with him as captain. 

Now if we win the EUROPA and the Scottish Cup I will come on and say I got it wrong, but I doubt that will happen. :sad:

Popular with me mate👍

The guy’s heading for a testimonial.

Virtually unheard of in modern day football.

Think we’ve seen ‘peak Tav’, along with a host of others, including Alf.

At least as far as their worth to Rangers is concerned.

51 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

That's nonsense.

Souttar's alright, but by fuck he's been built up to be some player in the past 3-4 months.

47 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Souttar will be annihilated on this forum.

Hope I'm completely wrong, but people are in for a shock with Souttar.

Can't see changes at DoF or manager positions so I'll talk about squad changes and needs...

Release every player going out of contract, no exceptions.

Get rid of as many of those we can who've contributed nothing during the months to date - Simpson, Wright, Itten spring to mind.

Offer extensions now to those out of contract summer 23. If they don't commit by August sell them - Morelos, Kent, Helander etc. Even Lowry though hopefully not.

Sell those whose hearts aren't in it - Barisic, Kamara, Aribo.

If we can make money on Tav,  Roofe, Sakala Hagi Sands take it.

Our new squad consists primarily of McLaghlin, McCrorie, Zukowski, Bassey, Jack, Lundstram, plus Souttar and promoted youth King, Weston and I'd give Kelly a space. Hopefully Lowry too.

The vast majority of salary savings and transfer fees needs reinvested.

If Morelos extends, we need to sign another forward who plays similarly. Not easy.

We need signings who should be considered starters in all positions, as many as possible brought in early.

If Tav, Roofe, Sakala, Lowry,Hagi stay but none of those due to leave summer 23 extend their deals then we'd still need at least

GK 

3 x CH

LB

2x CM

2 x RW / RM

2 x LW / LM

2 x CF

Huge turnaround needed and expected.

16 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

We’ll have to spend a similar amount or we can forget it , if we try to build a squad of freebies and loans we are fucked

The scum's best player (Jota) this season is on loan and their best centre half (Carter-Vickers) is also on loan. Their other loanee Maeda, while not having the same impact as the other two is also a starter and probably hasn't done too badly.

The problem with loanees for us is that we mostly get it wrong. Ramsay could have worked out but with his fitness issues and lack of football over the past year it was always a massive gamble. The less said about the Man U youngster (he's made that much of an impact his name escapes me) the better and he can be added to the same list as all the other promising youngsters we've had on loan from English football who have failed. 

1 hour ago, HG5 said:

Popular with me mate👍

The guy’s heading for a testimonial.

Virtually unheard of in modern day football.

Think we’ve seen ‘peak Tav’, along with a host of others, including Alf.

At least as far as their worth to Rangers is concerned.

:thumbup:

I like him as a person but unless we win at least the Scottish Cup then surely his time as captain has to come to an end, he has great stats for a full back but not a winner IMO. I hope he proves me wrong and does win the cup but I am not very hopeful.

As I said in another thread if we end the season with no trophies I would like to gut the main 15 players by about 10, regardless who the manager is. 

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Hope I'm completely wrong, but people are in for a shock with Souttar.

Never rated him despite the Dundee Utd valuation promoting machine and have not rated him in our top league with Hearts either. The ongoing ankle  problems also makes me doubt that he will be the answer to our needs in central defence.

10 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

The scum's best player (Jota) this season is on loan and their best centre half (Carter-Vickers) is also on loan. Their other loanee Maeda, while not having the same impact as the other two is also a starter and probably hasn't done too badly.

The problem with loanees for us is that we mostly get it wrong. Ramsay could have worked out but with his fitness issues and lack of football over the past year it was always a massive gamble. The less said about the Man U youngster (he's made that much of an impact his name escapes me) the better and he can be added to the same list as all the other promising youngsters we've had on loan from English football who have failed. 

The 3 players you mention they all have an option to buy

However plenty of their loans in the past have been utter shite as well

I think if we have loans in the future it should really be for a position we need to we can actually make use of them meaning we should get a higher calibre of player. There are lots of players like Diallo out there that have very little game time. You ideally want someone who has been signed for 7-15 M who has featured for a year or two in another league before getting signed for an EPL as a backup/prospect.

3 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

I reluctantly agree, but can't help but recoil when I picture where we would have been without Tavs numbers in recent years.

I think that's the whole point, while his numbers have been top notch, I feel other parts of the team have hidden behind him when their numbers should be much better than they are, it's been like that for years imo, no hate on Tav but the phycology of the team needs to move in a different direction now.

15 hours ago, Bears r us said:

I know this will not be a popular opinion (because of his stats) but I think we need to get rid of Tav, his time as captain has been hellish with losing cup games and just one league win in a strange season.

If he stays I hope the manager (whoever he is) would at least take the armband from him, we surely cannot continue with him as captain. 

Now if we win the EUROPA and the Scottish Cup I will come on and say I got it wrong, but I doubt that will happen. :sad:

Let's look at tavs stats. 1 trophy out of about 21/24 is an absolutely outstanding return for a Rangers captain. The o one can argue that is fucking shit 

3 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

I think that's the whole point, while his numbers have been top notch, I feel other parts of the team have hidden behind him when their numbers should be much better than they are, it's been like that for years imo, no hate on Tav but the phycology of the team needs to move in a different direction now.

Can the same argument not be made for Morelos?

15 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Let's look at tavs stats. 1 trophy out of about 21/24 is an absolutely outstanding return for a Rangers captain. The o one can argue that is fucking shit 

Yes his trophy stats are shite, his personal, assists and goals are good.

I just feel keeping him as captain again whoever is manager would be a huge mistake, I thought that when Gerrard kept him on as well. 

49 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Yes his trophy stats are shite, his personal, assists and goals are good.

I just feel keeping him as captain again whoever is manager would be a huge mistake, I thought that when Gerrard kept him on as well. 

Don't agree, if he stays on he stays as captain.