Last 2 Old Firms

Rlm

5 minutes ago, tm91 said:

They're flat track bullies who can consistently beat the dross. That wins titles in this backwater of a league a lot of the time. They'll regularly beat the other 10 teams but fail miserably in Europe most of the time whenever they play a decent side that can match them. Their tactics aren't particularly nuanced and they haven't really got any stand-out players, for all their desperate marketing of people like Kyogo.

It's highly annoying that we lost the two OF league games and dropped stupid points this year but it is what it is. Gio shaped us up wrong the first game and the second didn't go our way, and he's since learned a lot about the team and who he can trust. He's learned his lessons since. There's also a whole bunch of what-if questions - Morelos makes us a different side for those Old Firm games.

I'm pretty confident that we can win the league next year if we don't have a fire sale/if we get quality in.

They bum there players up to some tune but I’ve never seen a bigger trifecta of average than the 3 Japanese lads.

We should have won the league this season.

1 hour ago, Bigdave30 said:

They are a 60 minute team, they are also fucking bang average.

It’s a riddy finishing second to them.

The way they have finished the last 2 games has been shocking .They have been out on their arses .No way did it look like it was our team who had just played tough Euro ties 60 odd hours earlier .

Even the 3 nil game they were done in the 2nd half ..Pundits claimed they took their foot off the gas .The gas had ran out .

3 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

They bum there players up to some tune but I’ve never seen a bigger trifecta of average than the 3 Japanese lads.

We should have won the league this season.

They close players down pretty quickly, but that's about it really. Spend most of their time on the deck, and that Maeda just runs about fouling people. 

11 minutes ago, tm91 said:

They're flat track bullies who can consistently beat the dross. That wins titles in this backwater of a league a lot of the time. They'll regularly beat the other 10 teams but fail miserably in Europe most of the time whenever they play a decent side that can match them. Their tactics aren't particularly nuanced and they haven't really got any stand-out players, for all their desperate marketing of people like Kyogo.

It's highly annoying that we lost the two OF league games and dropped stupid points this year but it is what it is. Gio shaped us up wrong the first game and the second didn't go our way, and he's since learned a lot about the team and who he can trust. He's learned his lessons since. There's also a whole bunch of what-if questions - Morelos makes us a different side for those Old Firm games.

I'm pretty confident that we can win the league next year if we don't have a fire sale/if we get quality in.

The big what if is the 2nd old firm for me. If that game went ahead when it was supposed too league could look very different. 

Last few weeks has convinced me as well we can win the league next year. Recruitment has got to be on point and we've got to get better at putting away the rest of the shite in the league. 

19 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Hatate seems a decent enough midfielder, though nothing special. I don't think Kyogo is anywhere near as good as they think though and Maeda is absolutely fucking rotten. 

They make kyogo out to be the Japanese Larson but all the times he’s played us all I remember is him being in Baloguns back pocket and takes about 5 gilt edge chances to score against the dross.

Hatate seems a shitebag myth while Maeda runs about like your average SPL dross.

21 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

They close players down pretty quickly, but that's about it really. Spend most of their time on the deck, and that Maeda just runs about fouling people. 

Biggest myths in Scottish football, up there wae Nessie and the abominable snowman.

It's pretty mental that in roughly 6 months Gio has had about 3 lives as Rangers manager and tbh I hope this is the true form.

The first life was the honeymoon stage and that run up to the break which was either pushed on by the fact that this group needed a new influence as things may have gone stale or that Gerrard's teams usually kicked on up until the turn of the year. Maybe it was both.

The second life was the dip. A bunch of calamitous results in 2/3 weeks that lost us top spot. We looked disjointed, pretty clueless and were making mistakes everywhere which lead to a 3-0 going on 6/7 nil against them.

The third is where we are now and since then. It may sound weird considering we've dropped 5 further points to them but we actually have improved a shit ton in the last 3 months. 

He has sorted out the form against the weaker sides winning 7 out of 9 since losing to celtic (which actually matches their 77% win rate this season). The two draws, one of which against Dundee Utd was down to bad finishing and even worse officiating then Motherwell in what was probably our worst half of football outside the celtic game at Ibrox since losing top spot. 

He's clearly sorted us against celtic. We've gone from losing by 3 goals, to looking like losing by 3 goals to having two games were we have been the better team.

In the third life he's cut out the defending deep pish after going a goal up, his subs are so much better - Aberdeen at Ibrox, Hampden, today and Dortmund at Ibrox being prime examples. His use of the squad has improved a lot and I actually think that came from the 2-2 against Motherwell when he slept on making subs after the Dortmund game. He's also answered our biggest issue for 4 years and found a way to play without Alfie. Doing all of this while getting us to European semi.

In fact the only thing he's doing right now is playing McGregor. However if we keep performing like this against celtic it wont matter who the goalie is.

Unfortunately it is too late for the league this year but a lot in the last 3 months has given me hope that this is the right man we have in charge. 

4 hours ago, magic8ball said:

The way they have finished the last 2 games has been shocking .They have been out on their arses .No way did it look like it was our team who had just played tough Euro ties 60 odd hours earlier .

Even the 3 nil game they were done in the 2nd half ..Pundits claimed they took their foot off the gas .The gas had ran out .

Again the media frame this as "title nerves" as it can't just be said we're the better team when we're the better team. Had a look at some stats over the season. We had way more shots at goal and somewhat surprisingly slightly more possession given the world class "angeball" over the 5 games played we played them. OK there's context within these stats (even the most staunch would struggle to make a case for winning the 3-0 game) but overall shows our performance levels v them weren't too bad. Again our failings lie within the stupid points dropped against the other teams whereas for some reason they mostly seem able to turn up and score at will, even with utter dross in their side such as Ralston and Taylor. Problem is I don't see this changing next season. Whatever their limitations it's been more effective than what we've managed. We're going to need to be 20/21 season consistent to get the title back by the looks of it.

16 hours ago, Bigdave30 said:

The most concerning thing for me is I always have a feeling that we could lose a goal from absolutely fuck all, just like today.

It’s not really fuck all tho, it’s generally us not being street smart.  Their goal yesterday there is a lot of discussion around, Tavs and Goldson’s position and also Barasic going to sleep(again) which is certainly part of it.  But it initially comes from Tav launching the ball along line to Arfield who stands and watches a celtic player run in front of him and cut it out which leads to pass to Maeda and goal.  Arfield just watched the guy intercept the pass.  no busting a gut to close him or FOUL him if he can’t make tackle.  Their first goal at Ibrox, McGregor skipping into our box as well.  No one willing to FOUL him again if they can’t make tackle.

I’m not talking about scything opposition players down as we know how refs will treat us doing that. Or us becoming a dirty team, But the wee simple, body checks, obstruction, trips sort of play that breaks up a teams momentum and attacks. we are absolutely awful at this part of the game.  The “schoolboy” stuff that allows our  players to get back behind ball and get set. Defending set pieces is another issue tho!

It’s the same for me, with getting territorial gains by getting an easy shy. When players have no where to go and are closed down, just knock the ball off the inrushing opponent. Take an easy shy and restart. Not that we are great at shys to be honest.  I’m fed up of seeing our players stuck in corners and trying to beat a man when we are wanting them to run down clock and they lose ball and it gets launched at our defence for the usual last few squeaky bum moments. 

Again, just the wee streets smarts part of the game, I think we are poor at. 

15 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

When the season is done and dusted come the monday after the SC final, is when it will hit us, how we have thrown this league tilke away to an average tarrier team full of nobodies.

Hope that monday sees a egm.calked and heads from the exec board gone.

What if on that Monday we've won both the EL and SC? What if we've lost the EL final but won the SC? 

On 01/05/2022 at 21:41, STEPPS BOY said:

If Morelos is fit or available we win every OF game this season.

Morelos is a fuckin nightmare when he plays against them...hes battering them, dragging them all over. Plus loved the kick in scott browns balls and that slap round the lug.

I’m satisfied that Gio has the Aussie sussed now.

They are one-dimensional and their mega-pressing approach caught us out in the 3-0 game but it’s not exactly rocket science and I truly believe Flange is a one-trick pony.

Sadly, that frantic approach is usually enough to blow away the rest of our division and makes the points safe before they run out of steam around 60-70 minutes.

Thats why we have to get back to picking up three points week in, week out against the Aberdeens and the Motherwells of this world as we did last season.

It took Gio longer to turn us around than any of us thought but we’re definitely going in the right direction now.

2 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

I’m satisfied that Gio has the Aussie sussed now.

They are one-dimensional and their mega-pressing approach caught us out in the 3-0 game but it’s not exactly rocket science and I truly believe Flange is a one-trick pony.

Sadly, that frantic approach is usually enough to blow away the rest of our division and makes the points safe before they run out of steam around 60-70 minutes.

Thats why we have to get back to picking up three points week in, week out against the Aberdeens and the Motherwells of this world as we did last season.

It took Gio longer to turn us around than any of us thought but we’re definitely going in the right direction now.

Gio is miles ahead tactically of Fange.

Reckon he’s the most tactically fluid manager we have had .