Gio to blame

RangersMedia

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

I'm quite interested to hear your views on what our actual style of play is

Well we’ve played a consistent 4-3-3 for years, moving between that and a 4-2-3-1 under Gio where we tend to play our best attacking stuff, with Lundstram and Kamara (or Jack) as the sitting 2. This allows Tav to play make from deep / make late timed runs into the box where he’s such a goal threat. 

It also puts more crosses into the box which we barely did today because we couldn’t get forward from wide areas. 

Got it wrong tonight - Peetty much played 3 CB as Lundstram was so deep and we gave up the midfield. Jack looked leggy and Kamara and many others were well off it… Had a chance to change it at HT and didn’t then got desperate just chucking players on.

Its early days but I’ve got the fear with any balls into the box and we don’t look good at all going forward.

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

Well we’ve played a consistent 4-3-3 for years, moving between that and a 4-2-3-1 under Gio where we tend to play our best attacking stuff, with Lundstram and Kamara (or Jack) as the sitting 2. This allows Tav to play make from deep / make late timed runs into the box where he’s such a goal threat. 

It also puts more crosses into the box which we barely did today because we couldn’t get forward from wide areas. 

Yes I know all that but what is our actual style of play? Do we bully teams into submission? Do we play a fast counter style of play? Tika taka passing teams off the park with quick triangles attacking?? I literally see no team identity with us bar looking for tav or Alfie to dig us out a hole constantly. 

The problem is personnel. We really lack creativity and another window has nearly passed and it’s not been addressed. We’ve tried to fill that gap with cheap options with no real pedigree. Colak looks to me to offer no more than Itten would so far. Was the Davies signing necessary or would Balogun have been adequate? Personally I think the money would have been better spent in the final third. We are just consistently adding squad players in this department. There is such a lack of goals in our squad. We’re too reliant on Morelos on Tav. I fear the worst for this season.

19 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

I won't be a hypocrite and say I wasn't behind the team tonight.

However, I certainly wouldn't have been as keen if I knew that Lundstram was playing as a CB.

For someone who normally has very solid game management Gio had a really, really off night. 

Half time was a huge opportunity to turn this tie and we fucked it, a massive mountain to climb.

But B, we never started that way mate after dominating first 15 he dropped him in.

I don’t get that at all, they weren’t a braga or Leipzig so I didn’t get it at all, it might have cost us 

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

But B, we never started that way mate after dominating first 15 he dropped him in.

I don’t get that at all, they weren’t a braga or Leipzig so I didn’t get it at all, it might have cost us 

Yeah it was odd, Tillman started well and we did too. 

But then we seemed to drop into a pre-agreed formation with Lundstram in a 3 and it just spiralled from there.

Bizarre as fuck.

1 minute ago, GabrielTomato said:

Yeah it was odd, Tillman started well and we did too. 

But then we seemed to drop into a pre-agreed formation with Lundstram in a 3 and it just spiralled from there.

Bizarre as fuck.

See spurs, for 25 mins they couldn’t really cope (I know they had two good chances) but when we scored we dropped him in again and they absolutely fucking shagged us with the extra man out of midfield 

2 minutes ago, Dickie said:

They were terrified of us for 15 mins then realised we are pish and then we totally handed over the midfield to them.

Gio was either unable or stubbornly unwilling to change things and I fear the worst under his negative style of play.

Gio said they were scared of us too.

I don't think they were. I just think they'd decided to focus on the defence to begin with and look to counter. When we were then so shite it gave them more and more confidence as you say. I really doubt they were terrified tbh, they barely panicked or even got flustered.

35 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

See spurs, for 25 mins they couldn’t really cope (I know they had two good chances) but when we scored we dropped him in again and they absolutely fucking shagged us with the extra man out of midfield 

Said this at the time. Spurs cut through our defence once or twice (to be expected no?) and we shit the bed and drop Lundstrum back. We end up conceding even more chances because we’ve one less out-ball in midfield. Learning from your mistakes is surely a basic requirement for a top level manager? Unless he addresses this quick, the players are going to lose trust in his decisions if they haven’t already.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Let’s not beat about bush here. If we go out next week and leave Parkhead points behind them Gio will be under all sorts of pressure.

Rightly so. Spent big money and has his own team now.

Results need to be positive 

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Let’s not beat about bush here. If we go out next week and leave Parkhead points behind them Gio will be under all sorts of pressure.

The European run was a godsend for him as our league form was abysmal and he is now going to be found out.