Gio to blame

RangersMedia

Soo many negatives tonight, but Tav hardly getting into any dangerous positions is one of the most worrying things about Gio style of play? Was the same on Saturday, Tav having that "winger" infront of him seems to nullify his threat, we are losing out on double figures for assists and probably goals by using this set up!

4 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

Soo many negatives tonight, but Tav hardly getting into any dangerous positions is one of the most worrying things about Gio style of play? Was the same on Saturday, Tav having that "winger" infront of him seems to nullify his threat, we are losing out on double figures for assists and probably goals by using this set up!

It's the fact he's pushed into midfield with Lundstrum behind him and no room ahead because Matondo is there. He's played as an attacking but orthodox right back since he joined the club. Tonight he looked like a player who had no idea where he was meant to run, when he was meant to track back and what he was meant to do with the ball when he had it.

Many of the players, maybe all of them were poor tonight but the biggest problem was the formation and the manager who didn't or couldn't change it.

1 hour ago, Professor_Chang said:

Yup. Wingbacks n wingers don't usually work in the same team. Players look confused still no excuse for their performance 

Strangely, Barisic and Bassey seemed to make it work with Kent but tonight Borna was lost. Again. And fuck knows where Matondo was.

Either we go three at the back (Souttar, Goldson, Davies) and let the full backs loose (Ridvan looks well up for it) letting the forwards either side of Morelos cut inside or we revert to a rigid 4-3-3 where all the width comes from Kent and Matondo.

Tonight we did neither.

This constant passing from side to side is not “probing for weaknesses and gaps”, it is simple proof of a lack of ideas and creativity.

And it has gone on too long.

Just now, Colin Traive said:

Strangely, Barisic and Bassey seemed to make it work with Kent but tonight Borna was lost. Again. And fuck knows where Matondo was.

Either we go three at the back (Souttar, Goldson, Davies) and let the full backs loose (Ridvan looks well up for it) letting the forwards either side of Morelos cut inside or we revert to a rigid 4-3-3 where all the width comes from Kent and Matondo.

Tonight we did neither.

This constant passing from side to side is not “probing for weaknesses and gaps”, it is simple proof of a lack of ideas and creativity.

And it has gone on too long.

Kent spends as much time cutting inside as he does with playing on the wing though. The last time this model worked with a genuine wide player was with Tav and Candeias. The reason it worked was because Candeias, for all his limitations, tracked back and actually played behind Tav at times when he was overlapping.

Fully to blame.

Why we played our best midfiekder as a 3rs cb back for MA BAW goldson to dilly salky play passy wi i do not know!!!

Setup like we were in the group stages away to Real madrid ffs.

Board will be on edge me thinks here. We have spent for a CL campaign here!

Gios been backed.

I want to know if any players have came from Gio rather than Wilson out if interest.

Tillman is aribo like and has to play the no 10 role n supporting colak pushing forward/linking.

He was wasted out wide left.

Lawrence instead or jack or kamara and we win tonight imo.

Lundstrum pushed forwrd. Cant believe we sat off and looked so laboured playong passy games on our own 18 yard box.

5 hours ago, The Beast said:

It's the fact he's pushed into midfield with Lundstrum behind him and no room ahead because Matondo is there. He's played as an attacking but orthodox right back since he joined the club. Tonight he looked like a player who had no idea where he was meant to run, when he was meant to track back and what he was meant to do with the ball when he had it.

Many of the players, maybe all of them were poor tonight but the biggest problem was the formation and the manager who didn't or couldn't change it.

Should the formation be dictated by allowing our right back the ability to put crosses into the box. Why can’t our formation be more attacking minded through the middle allowing players like Tillman and Collak to be the more attacking threat. 

6 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Let’s not beat about bush here. If we go out next week and leave Parkhead points behind them Gio will be under all sorts of pressure.

Never mind Parkheid, the 3 points at the weekend are crucial, and based on the ltwo competitive matches played far from guaranteed.

In his career as a player Gio has won the Champions league and captained his country to a World Cup final.

As a manager he’s won the Dutch league at Feyenoord, won the Scottish cup and guided Rangers to the Europa league final against all odds so there’s no lack of experience or ability.

Last night the team were awful and Gio must take his share of the blame but he can’t be blamed for all the individual errors.

We also have to take into account he had attacking players Kent, Alfredo and Roofe all missing as well two of our best players transferred out. He didn’t have too many options other than to bring the new players in when our pre season had barely finished.

After our European run last season too many of our fans thought we just had to turn up to beat a team that had an excellent league campaign and as we seen are very well organised.

Some of the criticism of Gio has been way over the top after one bad game. Calm down a wee bit.

5 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

In his career as a player Gio has won the Champions league and captained his country to a World Cup final.

As a manager he’s won the Dutch league at Feyenoord, won the Scottish cup and guided Rangers to the Europa league final against all odds so there’s no lack of experience or ability.

Last night the team were awful and Gio must take his share of the blame but he can’t be blamed for all the individual errors.

We also have to take into account he had attacking players Kent, Alfredo and Roofe all missing as well two of our best players transferred out. He didn’t have too many options other than to bring the new players in when our pre season had barely finished.

After our European run last season too many of our fans thought we just had to turn up to beat a team that had an excellent league campaign and as we seen are very well organised.

Some of the criticism of Gio has been way over the top after one bad game. Calm down a wee bit.

It's not one game though. It's actually several. There is a list of unacceptable results under him. And a longer list of pathetic performances. The experiment has failed and if we don't change very soon the child molesters will win the treble. That's the reality of where we are right now. We are not as good as we were last season and we've added 7 or 8 new players! We aren't a good team to watch. There is no style or ethos or brand to our play, it's basically go out and hope for the best, maybe someone can nick a winner somewhere. Every week. 

Why are people saying we should run over the top of the opposition, finishing where they did in belgium (a bawhair away from the title) is fucking decent

And it wasnt a back 5 all night, its a back 4 when we have the ball (lundstram steps up) and he becomes a sweeper off the ball, but we gave up posession so often and so quickly he didn't have time to step up and become part of the midfield, 

The big issue again last night is that we don't have a midfielder that can take the game by the scruff of the neck, and dictate the game how we want it played, and 1 up top against 3 centre halves is wrong, especially as our wide men offered fuck all all night

8 minutes ago, Rangers Da 1872 said:

It's not one game though. It's actually several. There is a list of unacceptable results under him. And a longer list of pathetic performances. The experiment has failed and if we don't change very soon the child molesters will win the treble. That's the reality of where we are right now. We are not as good as we were last season and we've added 7 or 8 new players! We aren't a good team to watch. There is no style or ethos or brand to our play, it's basically go out and hope for the best, maybe someone can nick a winner somewhere. Every week. 

FFS, if we were 2 or 3 months into the season with the 7 or 8 new starts failing and the team playing as they did last night I’d agree with you but we’re only 2 games in with some of our top players out injured or no longer at the club. That really should be taken into account before slaughtering the manager and players.

I’m not denying Gio has made mistakes but after reading your previous post going on about supporters being shitebags I’ve came to the conclusion you’re a panic merchant with a very selective memory. 

Imo you only adapt to a European team if their considerably better than you and/or you’ve played the system correctly with the right players. 

GVB adaptation in-game has been really good, in fact probably some of the best tactical switches we’ve seen in a long time. 

Last night however against a team we’re much better than we set up to get it back to Ibrox and paid the price when we should’ve at least went toe to toe with them. 

Fwiw we’ll be coming out all guns blazing 4-3-3 next week imo just like the start we made under Gio against Braga, Red Star and Liepzig so we won’t be doing what we done again, still frustrating however when we should be favourites to progress instead we’re nursing a 2-0 defeat 

Our players have not produced anything that makes me say we can do them at Ibrox. I expect the Belgians to dive and time waste from the off and for us to get more frustrated when we can't unlock them. Is it the system, don't know, but no system works when you are consantly giving the ball away and being forced to defend because of your own sloppiness and lack of attacking.

This is totally on Gio. The players are playing to his instructions. Last nights display reminded me of the performances when he first came in. When we started dropping points. 

this is his team he’s no excuses now. 

tbh I think they are on par with hibs etc 

we could easily turn this around but I worry about Gio. 

6 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

This is totally on Gio. The players are playing to his instructions. Last nights display reminded me of the performances when he first came in. When we started dropping points. 

this is his team he’s no excuses now. 

tbh I think they are on par with hibs etc 

we could easily turn this around but I worry about Gio. 

Most of the players at fault last night were not his players , no excuse though last night was down to the managers tactics and substitutions , again.

2 hours ago, Rangers Da 1872 said:

Imagine going after the messenger and not the real problem. Typical shitebag behaviour. Sitting there with your Superfan T-shirts in crying into your huge pillows trying desperately not be critical of the club, players or manager so turn on your own. Pathetic. 

Turn in your own? All you have done since you signed up here is abuse the club. Absolute freak.

20 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Most of the players at fault last night were not his players , no excuse though last night was down to the managers tactics and substitutions , again.

Far too negative. I wish we could get decent money for kamara and buy a more attacking mid. It’s far too slow when him Jack and lunny play. 

the players simply played the way gio wanted them to play. We showed that team far to much respect. It could’ve been worse. 

if Gio doesn’t learn from that last night we’re in trouble. 

20 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

They are all his players. He gave new contracts to a number of them and didn't sign replacements for other thus he deems them part of his plans. On the flip side look at how he has treated Katic for further evidence of this. 

I am willing to give him a bit of time to sort it out but his own unwillingness to take responsibility for that showing last night leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Ultimately I don't know what he is trying to achieve and our performances and style of play is extremely erratic.