Ridvan

TheKingObv

5 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

Ridvan will be a very good player for us but I agree with the wider point. £5m on a left back when there are massive holes elsewhere in the side is a strange use of resources 

Love the confidence , I have seen nothing to suggest this guy will be a very good player for us.

39 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Properly replacing Wright was a bigger priority than replacing Barisic.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Barisic had been truly awful the season before and we’d just sold Bassey, his only competition for the LB spot. 

At the time most seemed delighted with the business. Perhaps that was because we thought it was part of a squad wide upgrade and it now sticks out as an unusual and unnecessary  outlay. Had we signed a left back for £1m after pocketing £20m for Bassey it’s guaranteed folk on here would have been howling at the moon and saying you pay for what you get etc 

As @.Williamson.said, it’s typical of our ‘luck’ that Barisic’s form improves dramatically as Yilmaz beds in and it becomes impossible for GVB to drop him. As night follows day Barisic will revert to type and we’ll see Yilmaz introduced.

Also, as far as we know Barisic might have intimated he wanted to leave in the summer but there were no takers.

Yilmaz is the least of our problems at the moment.

As for replacing Wright, we did sign a replacement. It just happens Matondo doesn’t look very good at present.  

I thought the signing made sense at the time. Barisic had been on and off before Yilmaz signed and since then he's upped his game massively.

The actual money spent on him is another matter entirely though. 4-5 million while that midfield hadn't had any investment in it since, when? Mendes? 

58 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Wasn’t really a bizarre signing at all. Bassey had just left and the majority wanted a good replacement brought in because nobody trusted Barisic.

At this point Barisic decided to find form again and made the whole signing look like a waste of time and money. It’s typical more than anything else 

There's an argument that without the signing of a player as good as Ridvan, we might not have seen Barisic find his form again.  I think too many on this forum seem to have forgotten how Barisic was playing last season and the eagerness for us to replace him.

Where is all this” barasic has found form again” coming from,he flung in a couple of good crosses yesterday but he is supposedly a defender but if you look at the first 3 goals then you’ll see he is posted  missing.

As with tavernier he is good going forward but neither of them can defend which is somewhat of a problem when it is your main job.

l

8 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Where is all this” barasic has found form again” coming from,he flung in a couple of good crosses yesterday but he is supposedly a defender but if you look at the first 3 goals then you’ll see he is posted  missing.

As with tavernier he is good going forward but neither of them can defend which is somewhat of a problem when it is your main job.

l

Wouldn't take a great deal but Barasic was the best player in the team yesterday

3 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Wouldn't take a great deal but Barasic was the best player in the team yesterday

Best player in a defence that shipped 4 goals and the man he is supposedly marking ran riot.

He picked up a stupid booking early on which then limits how effective he can be for the rest of the game,if judging him as a winger then he would have been ok but as I said he is meant to be a defender and was as culpable as the other duds.

1 hour ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Nothing against the boy personally boy but like you say it’s absolutely insane that we decided to sign a left back for that amount of money who it would appear is only earmarked to become a first team player in 6-12 months or so. 

Another in a long line of examples of how bad Ross Wilson and co’s transfer strategy is in terms of identifying what we actually need.

I wouldn’t want to see this lot with any money to spend in Jan. The number of signings we make that either don’t work out or don’t really improve us is scandalous. 
How much are we paying in wages for permanently injured players or players who just simply aren’t good enough to take us forward. 
High hopes for the likes of Lowry and McCann but we need a huge change both on and off the pitch. 
We might as well buckle in because we are playing second best for another extended period. 
It’s a struggle watching Kamara and co shuffling balls wide for Kent and Wright to constantly give it away. 
We are fucking brutal 

26 minutes ago, Dickie said:

I never seen the third, but how can you blame him for the second? 😅

Its the RBs opposition player who makes a run off him, nothing to do with Barisic.

Some people just want to blame players due to their dislike, same ones over and over.

The first he had two players right next to him, he had to mark the Greek striker. He can't mark both.

The blame for the first is with Kent, Tav, the CBs and McLaughlin first.

As for the LB signing, we 100% needed one, however the money spent on an untested 21 year old is madness. Never said anything at the time, but I honestly had no idea where the hype on here for Yilmaz came from, nobody has seen him before signing and it was classed as this great signing.

Probably all based on the hatred of Barisic.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Its the RBs opposition player who makes a run off him, nothing to do with Barisic.

Some people just want to blame players due to their dislike, same ones over and over.

The first he had two players right next to him, he had to mark the Greek striker. He can't mark both.

As for the LB signing, we 100% needed one, however the money spent on an untested 21 year old is madness. Never said anything at the time, but I honestly had no idea where the hype on here for Yilmaz came from, nobody has seen him before signing and it was classed as this great signing.

So because I criticize a player it means I hate him,what utter shite.

If the guy I am meant to be marking scores 2 goals then I ain’t doing my job right. And like yourself barasic never saw the third goal either.

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He’s shit. His positioning and reading of the game is shit. 
their first he was marking the goal scorer but stepped inside to pick up a random player waiting on a second ball. He should have tackled or blocked the shot. He didn’t anticipate properly 

the third he got pulled right across the box to the RB position chasing a player who wasn’t even in possession  ffs and left a massive gap on our left which is exactly where the scored from.  

he tackled nobody, I mean physically tackle them ie attack the ball while the player has it. He prefers to stand making himself look big shuffling about.  Not one single time did he do that.  

open your eyes and watch the player 

we haven’t seen Ridvan but surely it’s time 

7 minutes ago, Dickie said:

So because I criticize a player it means I hate him,what utter shite.

If the guy I am meant to be marking scores 2 goals then I ain’t doing my job right. And like yourself barasic never saw the third goal either.

When you blame players for goals that are 1000% nothing to do with them, yes. Jota scored the second..

You clearly don't understand football or defending if you think its solely hes my marker so I will just ignore the CF whos in a better position and let him get a tap in.

If Barisic followed Abada and their Greek player scored, you would be on here blaming Barisic for not covering the CBs lets be honest eh?

Can see your post the now, why did he go away from the ball and goals.

You're not quite @KeyserSoze levels of hatred when he was having a go at Borna in games he wasn't even playing...

21 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I'm one of those who is in the "not a Barisic guy" club but he genuinely was the only player who turned up yesterday. His qaulity of crossing was brilliant and he was more of an attacking threat than Tav. Never hid once.

Regarding Ridvan, we sold a promising left back for £20m+ and reinvested into that position with another promising left back for £5+. It did and does make sense especially when Barisic was out of form. Barisic has been one of our top performers since Ridvan has come in and doesn't deserve to be dropped. We basically want the left side to be as strong as the right has with Tav. Think people are looking for more issues.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

When you blame players for goals that are 1000% nothing to do with them, yes. Jota scored the second..

You clearly don't understand football or defending if you think its solely hes my marker so I will just ignore the CF whos in a better position and let him get a tap in.

If Barisic followed Abada and their Greek player scored, you would be on here blaming Barisic for not covering the CBs lets be honest eh?

Can see your post the now, why did he go away from the ball and goals.

You're not quite @KeyserSoze levels of hatred when he was having a go at Borna in games he wasn't even playing...

If I was an opposition manager I would target our left side. 
Something that happens regularly. 
FYI - I don’t know Borna at all so I don’t hate the guy. I don’t rate him as a player which is different. 

cream yourself over three decent crosses if you like.   I’m certainly not 

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

If I was an opposition manager I would target our left side. 
Something that happens regularly. 
FYI - I don’t know Borna at all so I don’t hate the guy. I don’t rate him as a player which is different. 

cream yourself over three decent crosses if you like.   I’m certainly not 

That's the thing though, when you've got a pre conception and your mind is made up on a player before a ball is kicked  then you won't notice good things and "cream yourself over three decent crosses". You'll only see negatives. Were all guilty of it but when you objectively look at his performance yesterday he wasn't near as bad as anyone else.

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Wasn’t really a bizarre signing at all. Bassey had just left and the majority wanted a good replacement brought in because nobody trusted Barisic.

At this point Barisic decided to find form again and made the whole signing look like a waste of time and money. It’s typical more than anything else 

A prime example of hindsight being king here .With almost everybody conveniently forgetting that 3 weeks ago that they wanted Barisic binned forever .

From the few clips I have seen of Yilmaz on u-tube and the way he went past the Queens player on Wednesday to set up Arfield's 1st goal Yilmaz looks a far more dangerous player going forward than Kent maybe give the lad a shot on the left side of midfield heis young enough to adapt and by fook do we need someone to oust Kent who odd european game apart hasn't kicked a ball for us since the 55 season.

1 minute ago, HOPLITE said:

From the few clips I have seen of Yilmaz on u-tube and the way he went past the Queens player on Wednesday to set up Arfield's 1st goal Yilmaz looks a far more dangerous player going forward than Kent maybe give the lad a shot on the left side of midfield heis young enough to adapt and by fook do we need someone to oust Kent who odd european game apart hasn't kicked a ball for us since the 55 season.

There's lots wrong with that, mainly "u-tube" but if you have watched Ridvan videos you will see his best moments are defending and getting crosses from deeper. He isn't exactly the running at defenders type and often doesn't come inside which is easy for defenders to adapt too. Kent has been inconsistent and needs a vast improvement but I don't agree he hasn't kicked a ball since 55 when he was in Europa League team of the season.

Agree with everything in the OP.

A LB could have been acquired in the same way that Bassey was as backup to Barisic. It's a monumental waste of resource given the look of our squad after the transfer window.

So many other areas needed strengthening, my only guess is they thought Barisic was going to leave. 

2 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

Agree with everything in the OP.

A LB could have been acquired in the same way that Bassey was as backup to Barisic. It's a monumental waste of resource given the look of our squad after the transfer window.

So many other areas needed strengthening, my only guess is they thought Barisic was going to leave. 

And if we replaced a £20m+ left back with a £250k development player (at a time we needed a new first choice left back) you and others would have been happy?

12 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

That's the thing though, when you've got a pre conception and your mind is made up on a player before a ball is kicked  then you won't notice good things and "cream yourself over three decent crosses". You'll only see negatives. Were all guilty of it but when you objectively look at his performance yesterday he wasn't near as bad as anyone else.

I agree with the sentiment that he wasn’t near as bad.  I have praised him when he is doing well, and it’s nonsense Malky to think anyone is watching a game being negative to any of our players. I want them all to do well  

but by fuck Borna Barasic is one really frustrating player.