Davies, Yilmaz and Matondo.

King Jela

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

On paper a lot of our summer signings looked good, and I still think if we actually have some of them game time they would come good too.

Souttar is the only one you look at and go, that doesn’t really make any sense, and that’s because of his injury record rather than his ability.

For me it was his ability as well as the fact he would be injured in his first week. The guy got tore apart many times against dross playing for Hearts. Ridiculous signing for many reasons.

11 minutes ago, beararse said:

Of course it was worth millions. Every game in the CL is.

You gain £800k per point plus an additional £8.2m bonus if you reach the knock out stage.

18 points available x £800k = £14.4m + £8.2m bonus = £22.6m 

You then roll in ticket sales and match day revenue for at least one CL knock out stage game as they are relevant figures. Conservatively that would add another £3m onto the value of winning these groups stage games.

So you could argue each CL game is potentially worth just under £4.3m (ie 22.6m + 3m dived by the 6 games).

Fuck sake then so is every game in the scottish league if we're gonna start using future incomes lol

Fact is morelos let him down at easter road, almost sent off against napoli for stupidity again, so when we are needing a 3rd goal to finish a game, why would he be trusted

2 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

For me it was his ability as well as the fact he would be injured in his first week. The guy got tore apart many times against dross playing for Hearts. Ridiculous signing for many reasons.

My mate is a hearts fan and when we signed him he said Souttar is at his best playing in a back three, which makes the signing even stranger because we don’t play a back three either :lol: I don’t even think he will play 20 games for us. Got a loan move back to Hearts with is picking up most of his wages next Summer written all over it already.

The dof and the manager should be working in sync with each other, Gio tells him what he needs and the dof draws up a list of potential targets. It's then gios job to pick who he wants. That way it's ultimately the managers decision and if he doesn't like any of them he tells him that. 

Just now, BlueSuedeSambas said:

My mate is a hearts fan and when we signed him he said Souttar is at his best playing in a back three, which makes the signing even stranger because we don’t play a back three either :lol:

Only going by the clips i have watched the guy , hes never been good enough to play for us IMO.

Any idiot in the game knows that his injuries are the main reason you stay well the fuck away from the guy.

2 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

The dof and the manager should be working in sync with each other, Gio tells him what he needs and the dof draws up a list of potential targets. It's then gios job to pick who he wants. That way it's ultimately the managers decision and if he doesn't like any of them he tells him that. 

Apparently it’s Gio, Wilson and the head of scouting who get together, look through the targets and then agree who to move for.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Only going by the clips i have watched the guy , hes never been good enough to play for us IMO.

Any idiot in the game knows that his injuries are the main reason you stay well the fuck away from the guy.

We’ve signed or have too many “if they can stay fit” players in the squad now and it’s biting us on the ass big time. Souttar, Helander, Jack, Roofe. That’s like the core of a side there and I don’t even want to think about what that’s costing us in wages every week :ang:

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Apparently it’s Gio, Wilson and the head of scouting who get together, look through the targets and then agree who to move for.

Well that's a big worry. You've got to ask why somebody who has never played football gets to pick who we buy 🤦🤦

6 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

On paper a lot of our summer signings looked good and had decent pedigree, and I still think if we actually gave some of them game time they would come good too.

Souttar is the only one you look at and go, that doesn’t really make any sense, and that’s because of his injury record rather than his ability.

We needed cover at LB but agreeing a figure of £6 million was ridiculous in my opinion.  Agree about Souttar with his injury history.  Matondo has looked awful.  Like Sakala mark 2.  Davies fee of £4 million is another shocker when Liverpool only paid £500k for him and never gave him a game.   

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Fuck sake then so is every game in the scottish league if we're gonna start using future incomes lol

Well if you want to go down that route, then yes. Of course they are.

Had we won all our SPFL games last season we’d have automatically qualified for the CL so they’d have inherent monetary value beyond the shitty SPFL prize money, just as they will if we win the league this year.

Seems a pretty obvious concept to grasp, more so if/when only one Scottish team is permitted in the CL. 

But harping back to your original comment regards the Napoli game not being worth millions, why wouldn’t you include the knock out game in the value of winning group stage points? It’s only 6 games with a huge pot of gold available at the end of it. 

15 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

My mate is a hearts fan and when we signed him he said Souttar is at his best playing in a back three, which makes the signing even stranger because we don’t play a back three either :lol: I don’t even think he will play 20 games for us. Got a loan move back to Hearts with is picking up most of his wages next Summer written all over it already.

Souttar, Davies, Sands & Yilmaz have all spent the bulk of their careers playing in a back 3 or 5. 

Yet that’s not a system we could ever play domestically. 

52 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

So in your theory Gio tells Wilson I need a left sided central defender, Wilson comes back to Gio tells him I've got the very man John Souttar, he plays right side of defence for Hearts and is injury prone Gio then says that's the very man for me.

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

What justification?

Which signings? 

Souttar was in anticipation of Goldson leaving  

Yilmaz was because Borna was playing shite and his back up in Bassey was going

Tillman and Lawrence were because Aribo was going

Davies was because Bassey was going and Helander is finished

All our signings have some logic to them. Some have been reckless gambles, some have been unlucky and some have been good. But you can see what the intent was in all of them. 

3 hours ago, the brown brogue said:

I'll be amazed if Yilmaz isn't back at Besikas in the January window, either on loan with an obligation to buy for an 'undisclosed' value or on a permanent transfer with whatever we still owe them just written off. 

I was going to come on and post similar. Maybe even try and flog him to Frankfurt?

I’d be very surprised if at least one of our new signings isn’t sold when the window opens.

It is weird though, Matondo I can understand why he isn’t playing, but Ridvan and Davies are real head-scratchers. If either are real pros they will be banging GVBs door down and asking WTF. Maybe they have, and he just doesn’t fancy them having seen them close up. I also can’t understand the fee we paid for Davies who didn’t play for Liverpool. Under normal circumstances this means the signing fee goes down….

All of this leads to (false?) conclusions like Gio isn’t playing them to make a point, or to work his ticket etc etc. I’m sure we’d all like to know why, and if it really is just that Davies was injured then why have him on the bench for weeks and not use him

3 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Hearts wont touch him with a bargepole now