Mcgregor

GOAT

We most definitely need a new keeper this upcoming summer, but I believe McGregor is under the microscope too much in here. Clarkson scores that goal once out of every ten. It was a wonderful strike, yet for some reason, McGregor was blamed.

I'm not defending McGregor, he should have retired last summer, but not every goal conceded is the keeper's fault. It's goals like the one that Porteous scored, where we need a better keeper.

Thought the Clarkson was the perfect example of one that McGregor from 2 years ago saves. That great save from Griffiths on the Jan 2021 1-0 game where he tips it onto the post.

He only gets a finger tip on it because he gets an incredible step in first.

That Clarkson goal he’s a little too far off his line to begin with and he doesn’t move his feet. Only able to save anything within his stand still dive. Showing clearly with his 55% save rate vs 85% 2 years ago. 

23 hours ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

Two words. Mental fatigue. It would probably kick in after a few games and no one wants that. 

Aye, in at the deep end stuff might work, and I'd love it to.

Bit risky for me though mate.

Martinez sat on the Arsenal bench for about 10 year and within a couple of year of finally getting a first team chance he’s a World Cup winner. Sometimes a player just needs a chance 

The only risk is continuing with McGregor and guaranteeing dropped points 

18 hours ago, bluenoz said:

We most definitely need a new keeper this upcoming summer, but I believe McGregor is under the microscope too much in here. Clarkson scores that goal once out of every ten. It was a wonderful strike, yet for some reason, McGregor was blamed.

I'm not defending McGregor, he should have retired last summer, but not every goal conceded is the keeper's fault. It's goals like the one that Porteous scored, where we need a better keeper.

I agree the Clarkson goal had two problems; it was slicing away all the time which made it almost unsavable even with a perfect view and with Sands ducking away from it McGregor must have seen it late. I do think it is a season to far for him but he seems to be the whipping boy for a lot of problems caused by the frailties of other players.

12 minutes ago, docspiderman said:

I agree the Clarkson goal had two problems; it was slicing away all the time which made it almost unsavable even with a perfect view and with Sands ducking away from it McGregor must have seen it late. I do think it is a season to far for him but he seems to be the whipping boy for a lot of problems caused by the frailties of other players.

He’s the ‘whipping boy’ because like last season he’s costing too many goals.

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Tbh the full Beale interview was pretty poor tbh.

”The injured players will be like new signings”

“We’ll decide in next 10-14 days whether we need to strengthen”.

Not really though was it? Being honest that we are down to the bare bones and that it'll get better when injured players come back isn't untrue.

He also said that there are some areas of the squad that immediately need attention in January and that we are already working on those, said he doesn't know if we need more than that, but will assess more when players are back from injury etc.

But then that doesn't suit the narrative of saying it was a poor press conference. 

You've took two lines, that weren't even verbatim and tried to rubbish a whole press conference. Poor.

13 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Not really though was it? Being honest that we are down to the bare bones and that it'll get better when injured players come back isn't untrue.

He also said that there are some areas of the squad that immediately need attention in January and that we are already working on those, said he doesn't know if we need more than that, but will assess more when players are back from injury etc.

But then that doesn't suit the narrative of saying it was a poor press conference. 

You've took two lines, that weren't even verbatim and tried to rubbish a whole press conference. Poor.

It’s quotes from MB himself.

The squad will undoubtedly be improved by injuries returning but who realistically is improving the starting 11. Lawrence in for one of strikers?

The weak point of squad is absolutely glaring (midfield) who is returning to take the place of Lundstram/Jack or Kamara?

who’s returning to solve goalkeeping issues?

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Tbh the full Beale interview was pretty poor tbh.

”The injured players will be like new signings”

“We’ll decide in next 10-14 days whether we need to strengthen”.

I watched the press conference, he didn't say either of those things. You've made both of those quotes up.

He said "Looking ahead what I want is everyone to be fit and at that point I can assess the squad, see who's contracts should be renewed, who should stay and what areas I think we need to improve in. There's one or two already but I want to keep that in house for the moment."

He's well within his rights to say having 10+ players out injured will impact the squad, as it's true, but he did not say they will be like new signings or that they will decide in the next 14 days if they will strengthen. He clearly said there are 1 or 2 positions they want to strengthen in January and then he will be assessing the squad to decide what they do in the summer.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s quotes from MB himself.

The squad will undoubtedly be improved by injuries returning but who realistically is improving the starting 11. Lawrence in for one of strikers?

The weak point of squad is absolutely glaring (midfield) who is returning to take the place of Lundstram/Jack or Kamara?

who’s returning to solve goalkeeping issues?

Midfield is probably one of those areas that he said needed immediate attention in January.

Because he said we will be looking to make some additions, contrary to what you've just said above.

The only part I felt was poor from Beale, was his suggestion that the goalkeeper doesn't need upgraded.

Other than that, overall a very good press conference with a clear plan of what he's expecting and what we'll be doing and why.

2 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Midfield is probably one of those areas that he said needed immediate attention in January.

Because he said we will be looking to make some additions, contrary to what you've just said above.

The only part I felt was poor from Beale, was his suggestion that the goalkeeper doesn't need upgraded.

Other than that, overall a very good press conference with a clear plan of what he's expecting and what we'll be doing and why.

To be fair, I think regardless of whether he feels it does or not, I think he's correct to not publicly call out individuals. 

It's one thing saying we need to improve the midfield, as there's 4-5 places there, but to say we need to improve the goalkeeping situation would effectively be saying McGregor isn't good enough, which I do think should be something that's done behind closed doors. 

Hopefully he does realise we need a goalkeeper.