Next Manager Discussion Thread

superallysbears

Beale:

There's no doubting that you could see his coaching influence on the SG team, we got our shape and purpose back, and you could see that in Europe in particular, as well as in OF games.  As he said in his podcast, there was a high intense press that they had to slowly back away from because the team couldn't sustain it due to size of the squad.  Something we all noticed and wondered why it had stopped, at the time.  So his influence on that thing we all liked in the team is obvious - and he also liked to get Tav and Borna "on the last line" as he called it by getting the wingers closer to Morelos and them overlapping.  Also something we all liked - as was the fitness of the group. 

What we didn't like was the inability to beat low blocks and the failures in cup comps against those tactics, and the falling away after Xmas, bar the one year we went undefeated.  For me, there is clearly a very good coach there, but I'd want to know he's got more to his arsenal than the above, and his time at QPR isn't inspiring me in that sense.  He's not a black and white appointment where you can easily say he'd either be the right person or not a chance he'd succeed.  He's a risk, but so is anyone. 

I still want Dyche, Haifa Manager or Seoane.  

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I may look foolish for this in the end up (happens a lot) but we’d have been as well sticking than twisting gio for Beale. This is a sideways move for me by the club should they choose to go down the route of Beale 

If and it’s a very big if some of the shite being thrown about from the Athletic etc is true about players and GvB then I would be more in GvB getting time and the squad overhauled completely.

I like Beale and I do think he gets us as a club but his lack of managerial experience and going back to previous tactics that had become stale, worries the shit out of me that we are in the exact same place a year from now giving it “we need an experienced manager” or “we need fresh ideas”.

The board sacked GvB, no mutual consent, so they are admitting him and them failed as he only lasted a year, therefore they need to get this appointment bang fucking on.

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I feel like I’m trying to talk myself into being OK with Beale.

Didn’t really fancy Dyche, but got myself mentally on Board with it after doing a bit of digging on him.

Trying the same with Beale, but it just isn’t there.

- Bit of an odd ego / personality

- Part of a Gerrard team that struggled for long spells

- Very inexperienced as a manager

- Not doing so well with QPR now 

- Too many pre-existing relationship when we need a full clear out over the next two windows

Red flags galore. 

I share some of your reservations but the ageing squad is not one of them.

He knows that his relationship with the players as First Team Manager is very different to what he had as coach, where he can be less formal.

In many ways, the fewer of the old guard still around, the better for him. He doesn’t have to redefine the boundaries with guys like Lawrence, Tillman, Sands, Davies or Yilmaz.

I also like to think that he can get Kent, Morelos and Kamara back playing again. It might be a pipe dream but I’d love to see these guys back in the form they showed against Benfica, Porto, Feyenoord etc.

The more I think about Beale, the more I can’t make up my mind :confused:

2 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I love the Beale is the brains behind gerrard shite that gets posted, that guided us to one trophy win out of 9, lost cup ties to st mirren, st Johnstone, Aberdeen at hampden, hearts away as well. 

if we were to have won one league title and 4 cups I’d maybe get the brains behind the success stuff, but we won a title 

Showed far too much respect to the diddy teams in league.

Resorted to aimless crosses into the box.

Much the same as we did under Gio.

59 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Doesn’t have a single iota of analysis in him. 

Or charisma. He’s dull as fuck. Maybe he changes into a different animal on the training ground or in the dressing room, but I’ve never heard him say anything that would inspire me.

48 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

I may look foolish for this in the end up (happens a lot) but we’d have been as well sticking than twisting gio for Beale. This is a sideways move for me by the club should they choose to go down the route of Beale 

It’s baffling that in little over a year we could easily end up splashing out 5 million in compensation and the end result is a previous manager’s (who had mixed results) inexperienced assistant in the top job to show for it. It’s awful, awful management from the people running the club.

Can't help but feel there is a bit of 'emperors new clothes' style group think going on around Beale on here.

A month ago most people were pretty positive about him and folk were worried we had missed out on the obvious choice.

Now there is almost universal disgust at the idea of him coming in.

I still like Beale and I'm not going to hold it against him for having totally fallen for the club.

It will be somewhat refreshing to have a guy in who knocks back EPL job offers, yet drop everything to come to us.

14 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Am amazed at the amount of people against Michael Beale btw he'd be less of a gamble than Gerrard was back then. 

There's a huge difference between being working with the manager to actually being the manager. Beale was a huge part in achieving our title success but has yet to prove himself as manager and isn't exactly a name that'll attract players. 

Honestly deeply underwhelmed if it is Beale, for all his supposed "talent" his QPR side have scored 1 goal in November, conceded 5 and lost 3 games on the trot, including to Huddersfield (Bottom) and West Brom (21st).

Is that the sort of form that deserves the Rangers seat? 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Can't help but feel there is a bit of 'emperors new clothes' style group think going on around Beale on here.

A month ago most people were pretty positive about him and folk were worried we had missed out on the obvious choice.

Now there is almost universal disgust at the idea of him coming in.

I still like Beale and I'm not going to hold it against him for having totally fallen for the club.

It will be somewhat refreshing to have a guy in who knocks back EPL job offers, yet drop everything to come to us.

The only thing i have against Beale is his lack of managerial experience.

He's obviously a very accomplished coach with a range of experience in different environments, but has only managed in his own right for half a season.

I think in the future, he could be a good fit but for the moment i think we need a more experienced pair of hands, a playing staff clearout, and less of the old pals act, which this smacks a little of.

If we do appoint Beale, i'll obviously back him 100%, but he wouldn't be my first or second choice. 

5 minutes ago, Kylegib said:

There's a huge difference between being working with the manager to actually being the manager. Beale was a huge part in achieving our title success but has yet to prove himself as manager and isn't exactly a name that'll attract players. 

You have an interesting take on it.

You back Gerrard to the hilt but not the man who it's well known for being the tactical nouse behind the scenes?