World Cup - Qatar 2022

G.E.C.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Aw my life is complete for the social media greatness. 

someone’s took a subbuteo baw and took the photo from different angles to show how angles can confuse the camera 🤣🤣🤣

C4A545E8-719C-4309-B2FB-168BEFABCDEA.jpeg

Is this not the cut price version the spfl are using?

I think the debate with the Japan goal is that the linesman had flagged it out.

Now I think 99/100 a linesman will flag that ball as being out, I think everyone with a clear view of the ball would have said it was out, and if the goal didn't stand I don't think there would be that much controversy about it. Certainly in real time and after watching a few replays I still felt it was out. However........... after 5 camera angles it appears the ball was in by the tiniest of margins, and there is still some debate about that. Personally, I'm now certain it was in play by the letter of the law but by a few mm.

However, the question I have is....... is that a clear and obvious error by the linesman as per the VAR guidance. 

28 minutes ago, Badger said:

Now I think 99/100 a linesman will flag that ball as being out, I think everyone with a clear view of the ball would have said it was out, and if the goal didn't stand I don't think there would be that much controversy about it. Certainly in real time and after watching a few replays I still felt it was out. However........... after 5 camera angles it appears the ball was in by the tiniest of margins, and there is still some debate about that. Personally, I'm now certain it was in play by the letter of the law but by a few mm.

However, the question I have is....... is that a clear and obvious error by the linesman as per the VAR guidance. 

Objective decisions like this don't fall under the clear and obvious criteria do they? Same with offsides.  It's either in or out, and camera angles are now showing that it certainly wasn't out. 

12 hours ago, docspiderman said:

So to summarise; camera shows the ball is out and VAR. mock up shows in? If only Collum and Clancy were there to properly make decisions.

There really is nothing contentious about this. The law of the game is as follows:

The ball is out of play when:

it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline on the ground or in the air

Wholly means all of the ball, including the parts that aren't touching the ground, must have passed over the line. The only angle that matter is therefore the one directly above the ball, which shows that it was in. 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Clear and obvious errors only apply in certain circumstances. Goals aren't one of them. Every single goal is checked by VAR and if there is anything that's missed - regardless of whether it is 'clear and obvious error' - it is pulled back.

The simplest way to understand this controversy is to think of the situation in tennis...Hawkeye shows a virtual image of the overhead view of exactly where the ball landed and if any part of the ball touches any part of the line, even if it is 99.9% outside of the line, IT IS IN.

There is a photo, taken in line with the goal line, which perfectly shows that a small amount of the ball was still in play.

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

There really is nothing contentious about this. The law of the game is as follows:

The ball is out of play when:

it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline on the ground or in the air

Wholly means all of the ball, including the parts that aren't touching the ground, must have passed over the line. The only angle that matter is therefore the one directly above the ball, which shows that it was in. 

The new Japanese flag...

IMG-20221202-WA0000.jpg