Gerrard, Gio, The Board

Kylegib

Gerrard’s time is up, Hamilton game the last straw for me….no wait….time for GVB to do the honourable thing and leave, it’s eye bleeding stuff, brutal viewing…no wait…….

The board are shite and are costing the clubs millions each year with their inept performance. 

You are persistent Kyle, and you don't seem to mind that you come across like a total weirdo, and seem oblivious to folk getting fed up with you, so I'll give you that!

Re the topic at hand........

SG

We did stand still, but we didn't have the money.  That wasn't SG's fault, but the way we started the following season was absolutely on him and the players.  My suspicion is that the players knew he was heading out the door and lost that focus they'd had the previous year.  I always think players know and lose that edge.  My worry, when I first saw celtic play under AP was that they'd end up being much, much better than they'd been before so I wanted as much as distance between us and them as we could manage before they got up to speed.  We didn't manage that, and that was poor from SG.  However, we were still ahead and our new manager took over a team well ahead.........

GVB

Under GVB, we were, in the main, absolutely awful.  And that includes during that first 7 games.  I was really worried about us, even at the start, as we looked awful.  The euro run absolutely masked how average we were, and it's a bit simple to say that I think the Ibrox Euro night factor carried us through, without GVB getting credit, but we reached levels in those games we just didn't ever reach under him in any other games.  I'm not impartial when it comes to GVB though, I made up my mind on him very early doors so I'm not sure how balanced I'm being.  Mind you, the Board eventually agreed with what I'd been saying for yonks, and Beale has come in and said the same thing (lacking in identity) so maybe I was right from the outset. 

Board

Won 55 and rested on laurels, without providing funds to take next steps forward.  All successful teams keep investing, keep going forward.  But we clearly didn't have the funds, didn't sell players who were worth anything, and therefore didn't invest.  Team suffered against a backdrop of them investing heavily and getting, let's face it, pretty ruthless domestically. 

It's back open again folks.

For what it is worth, SG would not have taken us to Seville, we would still have collapsed post break. We wouldn't have lost 3-0 to the paedos. GVB destroyed our high tempo pressing evident in Europe last season and destroyed our fitness.

1 hour ago, dummiesoot said:

It's back open again folks.

For what it is worth, SG would not have taken us to Seville, we would still have collapsed post break. We wouldn't have lost 3-0 to the paedos. GVB destroyed our high tempo pressing evident in Europe last season and destroyed our fitness.

I think he'd have won the league because I don't think he'd allowed us to be bossed about the way we ended up being  , but I do agree he wouldn't have got us close to Seville .

5 hours ago, gmcf said:

I think he'd have won the league because I don't think he'd allowed us to be bossed about the way we ended up being  , but I do agree he wouldn't have got us close to Seville .

I don't think he'd have got us to Seville however he definitely improved our reputation in Europe although I think he'd have won us the league. 

Gio did do fantastically well getting us to Seville however he completely capitulated against celtic and his negative style eventually took it's toll.

The board are who I ultimately blame for our current predicament for trying to run us on the cheap after winning the title. I do believe Dave King when he states that the board informed Gerrard to consider Villa's offer and I also believe that Gio's statement of having to manage under unusual circumstances was a dig at the board as they didn't back him after getting to a European final then qualifying for the champions league. 

On 05/12/2022 at 12:37, evenstevens said:

You are persistent Kyle, and you don't seem to mind that you come across like a total weirdo, and seem oblivious to folk getting fed up with you, so I'll give you that!

Re the topic at hand........

SG

We did stand still, but we didn't have the money.  That wasn't SG's fault, but the way we started the following season was absolutely on him and the players.  My suspicion is that the players knew he was heading out the door and lost that focus they'd had the previous year.  I always think players know and lose that edge.  My worry, when I first saw celtic play under AP was that they'd end up being much, much better than they'd been before so I wanted as much as distance between us and them as we could manage before they got up to speed.  We didn't manage that, and that was poor from SG.  However, we were still ahead and our new manager took over a team well ahead.........

GVB

Under GVB, we were, in the main, absolutely awful.  And that includes during that first 7 games.  I was really worried about us, even at the start, as we looked awful.  The euro run absolutely masked how average we were, and it's a bit simple to say that I think the Ibrox Euro night factor carried us through, without GVB getting credit, but we reached levels in those games we just didn't ever reach under him in any other games.  I'm not impartial when it comes to GVB though, I made up my mind on him very early doors so I'm not sure how balanced I'm being.  Mind you, the Board eventually agreed with what I'd been saying for yonks, and Beale has come in and said the same thing (lacking in identity) so maybe I was right from the outset. 

Board

Won 55 and rested on laurels, without providing funds to take next steps forward.  All successful teams keep investing, keep going forward.  But we clearly didn't have the funds, didn't sell players who were worth anything, and therefore didn't invest.  Team suffered against a backdrop of them investing heavily and getting, let's face it, pretty ruthless domestically. 

From winning 55 to where we are now is horrendous mismanagement.