Modern football

Essandoh

There’s a helluva lot of noise surrounding this subject these days albeit it’s arguably a perpetually less relevant subject each day since who are we to say our ‘version’ of football is better than the next?

Having said that, football was better back then because I was born in 93 :pipe: 

Old yins beyond that, get with the times!

But really, what fucks you off about about the state of our modern game and what do you miss about it when you lived it’s golden years in your lifetime? What does today’s game miss?

No mobile phones or social media, home games left the house for pub opening at 11 for a 3pm KO got home anytime ranging from 7 to about 3am with zero contact other than who you were out with.

Away games were an entirely different world.

On a more serious note, it was probably naivety in the late 80s and 90s but it didn’t seem to be a business and all about money which is definitely the case now.

Media saturation is an issue as well, live football was limited so it was more of an event whereas now you could literally watch football all day everyday becomes boring imo.

9 hours ago, Essandoh said:

There’s a helluva lot of noise surrounding this subject these days albeit it’s arguably a perpetually less relevant subject each day since who are we to say our ‘version’ of football is better than the next?

But really, what fucks you off about about the state of our modern game and what do you miss about it when you lived it’s golden years in your lifetime? What does today’s game miss?

Every single player ,without exception , in todays game is a cheating bastard. You see it every week  with the diving, feigning injury, mobbing the ref to try to get players carded, virtually hugging each other at every bloody dead ball situation.

I miss when the game was played by guys who competed hard and fair and didn’t collapse screaming when they got nudged off the ball.

Also get VAR so far to fuck it would need an Apollo mission to get it back .

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

In terms of English football, the FA Cup was shown a lot more respect when I was growing up. It’s lost it’s aura now purely because the so called elite teams have belittled it and ruined it for everyone else.

The stupid 5 o’clock kick off in London for the final with northern fans struggling to go home afterwards just  sums it up 

Styles. Clubs from different countries played in different ways. International teams played distinctive styles too. 

Made it more exciting to see, for example, Brazil. Would be very exotic to see this different kind of football. The fact that it was rare to see foreign football made it even more so.

Styles are basically dead now. Seems like it's all hyper athletic football teams drilled in the same way to play in basically the same ways with only slight variations on a theme.

The other thing that made it feel exotic was the slightly grainy picture and commentator sounding like he was speaking to us over a poorly connected landline. Genuinely would reinstate those two things by somehow distressing the footage if I became the King of football. :lol:

28 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

In terms of English football, the FA Cup was shown a lot more respect when I was growing up. It’s lost it’s aura now purely because the so called elite teams have belittled it and ruined it for everyone else.

Yes, the death of proper cup football is also a shame.

As is the fact that far fewer teams are capable of winning leagues now. There's less variety. Which makes it duller.

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Styles. Clubs from different countries played in different ways. International teams played distinctive styles too. 

Made it more exciting to see, for example, Brazil. Would be very exotic to see this different kind of football. The fact that it was rare to see foreign football made it even more so.

Styles are basically dead now. Seems like it's all hyper athletic football teams drilled in the same way to play in basically the same ways with only slight variations on a theme.

The other thing that made it feel exotic was the slightly grainy picture and commentator sounding like he was speaking to us over a poorly connected landline. Genuinely would reinstate those two things by somehow distressing the footage if I became the King of football. :lol:

You also very rarely see any player given the individual freedom to offer something different outside of their team’s system

I feel like most Premiership clubs back in the early 2000s all had that one special player they could rely on to turn a game on its head

Blackburn had Morten Gamst Pedersen, Bolton had Okocha, Aston Villa had Juan Pablo Angel, loads more to list

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Crunching slide tackles are a miss. As are the gritty, tacticless, bodies on the line slog fests that you used to get. Two teams just going at it on a moderately shite pitch. 

This is off tangent slightly but were you at Ibrox for Rangers vs Hearts when there wasn’t a single seat left and Jon Flanagan hit the loudest tackle there’s ever been? :lol: 

I remember it echoing in the ground and the whole place reacted because he’d met the 50/50 so hard, Hearts boy was down for a fair bit after

2 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

This is off tangent slightly but were you at Ibrox for Rangers vs Hearts when there wasn’t a single seat left and Jon Flanagan hit the loudest tackle there’s ever been? :lol: 

I remember it echoing in the ground and the whole place reacted because he’d met the 50/50 so hard, Hearts boy was down for a fair bit after

Nup, don't remember it.

In fairness, there are far fewer broken legs than there used to be. I'd still like the crunching tackle back, though. Occasional broken bones should be an occupational hazard. They should be like fucking gladiators out there, doing their best to satisfy we bloodthirsty working classes.

21 hours ago, Inigo said:

I think football peaked 1985-2000.

The game was professional enough, but also not so professional and well drilled that it had sucked the soul out of it.

There doesn't seem to be as many world class, make a difference, type players anymore. Thinking back 25yrs ago - there were loads of players I'd consider match winners at the top level - far less today. I think that's largely down to tactical training and the players being so well drilled and so athletic now. As a result the "filler" players in every team bar has raised significantly, and it's harder for a standout to shine.

On 28/01/2023 at 01:47, Essandoh said:

Born in 1893 surely, had you down as way older, apologies.

On 28/01/2023 at 00:47, Essandoh said:

back when? if you where born in 93 was it on the 00s when you would have been getting into football or the 2010s when you started going with your mates to the pubs before the games?

as someone who went to the games in the 80s and 90s ive got to say those where the golden years for it not from the 00s onwards as thats when the life started to get sucked out of it when the players got bigger than the clubs