General Transfer Talk

Broxi

Just now, Broxi said:

I feel like if it's widely accepted that Tav is better at going forward than Barisic and better at defending than Barisic that he gets a very disproportionate amount of the criticism then 

Borna is probably the most criticised player in our squad over the last 2 years. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Borna is probably the most criticised player in our squad over the last 2 years. 

Don't know if I agree with that mate, I think a lot of people don't see him as the problem that he is

4 hours ago, Broxi said:

I feel like if it's widely accepted that Tav is better at going forward than Barisic and better at defending than Barisic that he gets a very disproportionate amount of the criticism then 

Have you missed the abuse/criticism that gets aimed at Barisic?

Just now, johanhentze said:

He is heavily criticised.

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Have the missed the abuse/criticism that gets aimed at Barisic?

Feels like most of it is from me tbh :lol:

57 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

PFA Scotland team of the year

2017-18

2018-19

2019-20

2020-21

2021-22

2022-23

Europa Legaue Team of the Year 2021-22

Yeah, he’s been utter dug meat for us for years :confused:

Dug meat this year and somehow managed to get in though :lol: 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Did we not lose goals in the cup final and semi final, with Tav either not cutting out the cross or not tracking his man? 

The cup final was Lundstrum not tracking Taylor. Tav stuck on Maeda like he should have. That’s pretty harsh to blame him for that tbh.

The semi he could have done better. But it’s a cluster fuck from about 5 players before him. It’s almost understandable you’d never think there’s a ball coming in from that point.

Jack has also been at fault for dropping his runner at the Piggery. Raskin and Barasic for that colossal fuck up. Davies and Souttar with individual howlers. Wright did shite for the 2nd at Ibrox, Kent has had a few shockers. McGregor seems to get away blame free despite us conceding goals we never should from crosses in the 6 yard box every game. Yet Tav gets more heat than almost all combined.  

The majority of goals especially Celtics are going to come from out wide. It’s a bit correlation/causation to just blame the full back every time. Never hear the same criticism when it’s the other way. When tav scored in the 3-2. There wasn’t a backlash from their fans against their full back. Or when Kent scored, there wasn’t an inquest into how he got space out wide or how there was a ball allowed into him.

Tav aint the best. But he’s not as bad as some make out. And he’s exceptional going forward

5 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

The cup final was Lundstrum not tracking Taylor. Tav stuck on Maeda like he should have. That’s pretty harsh to blame him for that tbh.

The semi he could have done better. But it’s a cluster fuck from about 5 players before him. It’s almost understandable you’d never think there’s a ball coming in from that point.

Jack has also been at fault for dropping his runner at the Piggery. Raskin and Barasic for that colossal fuck up. Davies and Souttar with individual howlers. Wright did shite for the 2nd at Ibrox, Kent has had a few shockers. McGregor seems to get away blame free despite us conceding goals we never should from crosses in the 6 yard box every game. Yet Tav gets more heat than almost all combined.  

The majority of goals especially Celtics are going to come from out wide. It’s a bit correlation/causation to just blame the full back every time. Never hear the same criticism when it’s the other way. When tav scored in the 3-2. There wasn’t a backlash from their fans against their full back. Or when Kent scored, there wasn’t an inquest into how he got space out wide or how there was a ball allowed into him.

Tav aint the best. But he’s not as bad as some make out. And he’s exceptional going forward

Understandable? He watches Maeda take the ball and get into a crossing position and doesn’t react, it’s not understandable at all. 

His pathetic attempt at their first goal at New Year, and another awful attempt at defending for their second too. 

2 hours ago, The Godfather said:

He scored more than he causes, he's been a brilliant servant to us.

Appreciate they probably don’t exist but I’d be interested in seeing stats for goals against with Tav at fault.

He’s scored 100 goals in 8 years in all competitions which is a good return for a RB.47 of these have been from the spot.

Discounting penalties for now, (if we had a striker who was the designated penalty taker he would have a very similar penalty strike rate), Tav has scored 53 goals over nearly 8 seasons, so on average about 7 goals from open play per year. My gut instinct is he has been directly responsible for around 3-5 goals against per season (I’m being conservative in my estimation) courtesy of some truly awful defending. All things considered, playing Tav probably amounts to between 2 and 4 goals more per season than a more defensively minded full back. 

Of course it’s not as black and white as goals for/against as he fires in a lot of crosses, but the return rate from these isn’t particularly great and has been diminishing in returns.

Bottom line is I don’t think his goal scoring exploits and assists are as important as some on here seem to do.

That said, I do think he has been a great servant, although not a great captain, when you consider when he joined and for how much.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Jesus Christ.

We are officially entering the period of the season when people try to prove Tav is the problem with equations.

Never said he was the problem at any point in my post. . Merely highlighting his contribution on balance is probably neutral, neither dragging the team up or down. To that end, he is entirely replaceable assuming we bring in a competent right back.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I give up tbh. Will wait 2 ir 3 years till the same folk are greeting about lack of productivity from the full backs.

And conversely less complaints about the lack of decent defending from the full backs, oh, and constantly recycling the ball out to the wings for cross upon cross.

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Find a proper right winger and we wouldn't have to rely on Tav bombing forward. 

Give me a right back who can defend. Now there's a thought.

We don’t play right wingers and very few right backs anywhere in football have defending as their first job anymore.