Need to start offloading

What do we think the best approach is, clear out and accept we’re going to sell the likes of Hagi/Kamara/Wright for 60-70% of their value to get funds in early. 

Or do we drag it on all window but delay incomings to try and get full value on players

4 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

What do we think the best approach is, clear out and accept we’re going to sell the likes of Hagi/Kamara/Wright for 60-70% of their value to get funds in early. 

Or do we drag it on all window but delay incomings to try and get full value on players

I think that would be a terrible approach.

6 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

But if we hold onto them and bids don’t come, we then miss out on new arrivals. 

Look what happened with Kent/Morelos, no bids and we end up with 2x players who’ve checked out and are no use to us. We’re already there with Kamara who is useless to us now, I’d much rather cut loose for £3million this month than hold out for £5million in late August and not be able to reinforce sooner…

By the end of the pre season Beale will know his squad for next season. Those who are not going to feature will be advised to find new clubs. A job for their agents.

We will have our own valuations of these players but I doubt we will play hard ball. Maybe 80% of our valuation will be enough in some cases.

52 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

To get the ball rolling and get that infrastructure in place?

The infrastructure we haven’t had for decades? It’s a nice fantasy to say our board will employ some intelligence and put a structure in place. 

we all too often hang onto average players we could easily shift. One maybe two a season. Kamara is being used as an example of having a very good season out of four yet we miss the boat on him. 
there’s also a lot of hindsight in our thinking 

we took a gamble on Morelos by not selling he then had huge season in Europe for us and we were hopeful that spilled over domestically. It didn’t 
It really is a lot of “ifs, buts and maybees”

23 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

See tbh mate it's kinda hard to put a value on them, if we could get a collective 10-12million in for Kamara, Hagi, Colak & Davies then I think we would be doing ok.....that money could be the difference in signing Danilio and perhaps refocusing on getting Trusty as referred to Panzo....that's why I believe it is imperative that we make these players available, get the narrative out there and place 2million or 3million price tags on them.....sitting back waiting will be disastrous and will likely see players getting shipped out on loan towards the end of the window 

I will say it again....it was mentioned by Beale in the middle of May about a lot of players being overhauled.....to date the only contracted player out the door is the polish lad....it's almost 2month on and only 4 weeks away from the league opener and we still have these players on our books....we need rid of them

10 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

See tbh mate it's kinda hard to put a value on them, if we could get a collective 10-12million in for Kamara, Hagi, Colak & Davies then I think we would be doing ok.....that money could be the difference in signing Danilio and perhaps refocusing on getting Trusty as referred to Panzo....that's why I believe it is imperative that we make these players available, get the narrative out there and place 2million or 3million price tags on them.....sitting back waiting will be disastrous and will likely see players getting shipped out on loan towards the end of the window 

I will say it again....it was mentioned by Beale in the middle of May about a lot of players being overhauled.....to date the only contracted player out the door is the polish lad....it's almost 2month on and only 4 weeks away from the league opener and we still have these players on our books....we need rid of them

Don't forget the Tillman money.

5 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I hope behind the scenes all those players have had a very honest and direct conversation with the gaffer. 
anything other than that will mean they may just “bide their time” hopeful of a start.
We should be actively looking to move them on, their agents need told as well as other clubs. 
The “who will have them” debate is only based on their wages. Plenty clubs will have them but on their current wage????

This is a good point. It’s not as simple as selling a player when his stock is high. I doubt many people would be up for selling Cantwell or Goldson at the moment. Because they’re motivated to be here and a step above what we have.

A large part of it is the gaffer and others at the club understanding if the players want to be here. What their attitude is and what their contract situation is. Do we have a decent replacement currently or one lined up and available from the scouting department.

It’s so obvious looking back just how stale the squad was and naturally some players lost some of their motivation. After the come down of the Europa league and winning the league already the season before. We misread the Morelos, Kent, kamara situations so badly in a lot of dimensions. Did Gio and others really understand their players. I don’t believe for a second we couldn’t have got some reasonable fees-just not near 100% of what we could have got at their peak. 

43 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

By the end of the pre season Beale will know his squad for next season. Those who are not going to feature will be advised to find new clubs. A job for their agents.

We will have our own valuations of these players but I doubt we will play hard ball. Maybe 80% of our valuation will be enough in some cases.

Remember their wages are also a saving/reinvestment not just their fee

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

This is a good point. It’s not as simple as selling a player when his stock is high. I doubt many people would be up for selling Cantwell or Goldson at the moment. Because they’re motivated to be here and a step above what we have.

A large part of it is the gaffer and others at the club understanding if the players want to be here. What their attitude is and what their contract situation is. Do we have a decent replacement currently or one lined up and available from the scouting department.

It’s so obvious looking back just how stale the squad was and naturally some players lost some of their motivation. After the come down of the Europa league and winning the league already the season before. We misread the Morelos, Kent, kamara situations so badly in a lot of dimensions. Did Gio and others really understand their players. I don’t believe for a second we couldn’t have got some reasonable fees-just not near 100% of what we could have got at their peak. 

Good post Rab

1 hour ago, plymouthranger said:

But if we hold onto them and bids don’t come, we then miss out on new arrivals. 

Look what happened with Kent/Morelos, no bids and we end up with 2x players who’ve checked out and are no use to us. We’re already there with Kamara who is useless to us now, I’d much rather cut loose for £3million this month than hold out for £5million in late August and not be able to reinforce sooner…

Kent and Alfie were different situations in that they had a year left on their deal and we had some desire to keep them off the back of a strong run in Europe. So we weren't exactly listening/looking for offers.

The idea we should rush to sell players at 60-70% of their value is daft and not how the club should look to negotiate. 

I don't think we'll miss out on any targets this summer because we haven't shipped enough out. In fact, Heart and Hand suggested that the club has an understanding that they may need to purchase before moving people on.

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

I think we are doing that though. Players will know they are surplus to requirements, as will their agents. To me selling 60-70% of their value as the other poster suggested would mean getting far less than the 10-12m you suggested - which would be ridiculous. 

23 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Think Colak has been really hard done by tbh, was on cracking form before he got injured then came back to the whole squad chucking it again. 

A fair statement, it'll be a bit like Itten in that he just won't fit with the style we are planning on playing therefore he'll do much better at a team where he does fit in.

If we can get a decent fee and he can get a move to a club where he'll get regular football then it's win/win for all parties

46 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Don't forget the Tillman money.

Nah....the Tillman money would have been included in the original 15million budget that has been mentioned on here.....I reckon we have known for some time Tillman wouldn't be coming back, I would reckon that's why we have made an initial bid for Danilio

23 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Kent and Alfie were different situations in that they had a year left on their deal and we had some desire to keep them off the back of a strong run in Europe. So we weren't exactly listening/looking for offers.

The idea we should rush to sell players at 60-70% below their value is daft and not how the club should look to negotiate. 

I don't think we'll miss out on any targets this summer because we haven't shipped enough out. In fact, Heart and Hand suggested that the club has an understanding that they may need to purchase before moving people on.

I think we are doing that though. Players will know they are surplus to requirements, as will their agents. To me selling 60-70% below their value as the other poster suggested would mean getting far less than the 10-12m you suggested - which would be ridiculous. 

I mis read, I thought he said 60/70% of their value 

5 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

I mis read, I thought he said 60/70% of their value 

Nah you're right, he did - I've made a mistake typing that. I'd still say though that if were selling them for 60-70% of their value we're maybe bringing in 6m at most when you're looking for 10-12m. 

Just like clubs do when we're trying to buy players we should have a value in mind and try to get as close to it as possible with the sale rather than suddenly panic. 

@AGM_72

I didn't miss read @plymouthranger did suggest 60/70% of their value....again if that was to yield between 10-12million I think we would be OK with that

At a rough estimate 

Colak 2million max

Hagi 3million max

Kamara 3million max

Davies 3million max

Those funds would be massive, we could have had a major overhaul for a net spend of 7-8 million

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Think Colak has been really hard done by tbh, was on cracking form before he got injured then came back to the whole squad chucking it again. 

Don't think it's any reflection on his striking ability, just his style. Doesn't fit with what Beale is after.

7 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Imagine it will be down a bit, and even if it’s not, there’s more ‘value’ for the wages we’re spending hopefully.

Think Dessers and Butland will be on big bucks though. 

Butland will be on big bucks by being on free transfer, don't see it with Dessers.

On 07/07/2023 at 05:08, bluenoz said:

Patience required.

Kamara, Wright & Davies will leave for substantial money.

Lundstram, Hagi, & Colak could make us money, although I'm not convinced they are leaving.

McLaughlin, Mayo & McPake will leave for undisclosed fees. (I happen to like Mayo)

King, Devine on loan??

If King goes out on loan I’d rather we kept Mayo as cover. 

On 07/07/2023 at 14:46, hammer93 said:

16m minimum I would say for those four. 
4m each, in a couple of cases hopefully more.