Saudi Football

1 hour ago, Loyal72 said:

I was just thinking about making a thread about this in the Jimmy Bell's Kitroom, it seems that Jim may have been pushed out from his job at Rangers by Bisgrove and that is why Gerrard has come in for him.

I only found this out a wee while ago by having a quick look on FF just to see what they were saying about M B, and saw the thread.

EDIT just made a thread mate. 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, King Jela said:

610 fans in attendance for his game last night. 

I get he's on a hefty wage but he can't be over there not doubting his life choices. 

So at home they're getting attendances of 10-12k, the issue in Saudi is that outside the big 4-5 teams attendances are really poor, so if they're away from home at anyone other than those 4-5 teams the attendance will be terrible. Fans also barely travel to games so there are almost no away fans.

Saudi is the definition of a glory hunter league. Some clubs will get an attendance of 1k each week, but when Ronaldo comes to town it will be 17k.

1 hour ago, Somemightsay7 said:

So at home they're getting attendances of 10-12k, the issue in Saudi is that outside the big 4-5 teams attendances are really poor, so if they're away from home at anyone other than those 4-5 teams the attendance will be terrible. Fans also barely travel to games so there are almost no away fans.

Saudi is the definition of a glory hunter league. Some clubs will get an attendance of 1k each week, but when Ronaldo comes to town it will be 17k.

Oh, I've nae doubt.

Just further highlights how much of a joke the league is. 

His name being Steven Gerrard would have probably got him a job in Saudi even if he'd went to the Championship and failed there this season. 

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

Oh, I've nae doubt.

Just further highlights how much of a joke the league is. 

His name being Steven Gerrard would have probably got him a job in Saudi even if he'd went to the Championship and failed there this season. 

Don’t think it’ll get the attention for long, will be a couple of seasons before normal service resumes. Just like China was.

46 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Don’t think it’ll get the attention for long, will be a couple of seasons before normal service resumes. Just like China was.

Good point. Probably his thinking as well. 

Although personally I don't think the Saudi's will stop for a long while, unless, for whatever reason, the well runs dry. 

3 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Good point. Probably his thinking as well. 

Although personally I don't think the Saudi's will stop for a long while, unless, for whatever reason, the well runs dry. 

After seeing how much they’re paying for Henderson, I give them 4 weeks before they chuck it. :lol:

It won’t start with the superstars, but it’ll start with guys like Sakala and Jota not getting paid.

20 hours ago, J-Maestro said:

After seeing how much they’re paying for Henderson, I give them 4 weeks before they chuck it. :lol:

It won’t start with the superstars, but it’ll start with guys like Sakala and Jota not getting paid.

Saudi is nothing like China.

China was the clubs paying big money and then the government clamped down and stopped them.

Saudi is being bankrolled by the government. This isn't going to be a short term thing. They've already shown with Boxing, Golf, F1 etc that they're willing to put big money in for the long term. They're hosting the Club World Cup this year, Winter Olympics in 2029 and then World Cup in 2034.

The money they are spending on this is pennies compared to what they have. 

25 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

Saudi is nothing like China.

China was the clubs paying big money and then the government clamped down and stopped them.

Saudi is being bankrolled by the government. This isn't going to be a short term thing. They've already shown with Boxing, Golf, F1 etc that they're willing to put big money in for the long term. They're hosting the Club World Cup this year, Winter Olympics in 2029 and then World Cup in 2034.

The money they are spending on this is pennies compared to what they have. 

All of these got immediate eyes to it, this is still a laughing stock with 4 bankrolled teams.

1 hour ago, J-Maestro said:

All of these got immediate eyes to it, this is still a laughing stock with 4 bankrolled teams.

LIV was a laughing stock at first, they now own the PGA Tour.

Whether we like it or not, they know what they're doing. 12 months ago most people barely knew the Saudi league existed. It's now talked about daily, shown on Sky Sports and Saudi are hosting the World Cup.