*****Official Rangers vs Servette match thread*****

.Williamson.

7 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

I'm torn as to what will happen tonight, will we come out looking an entirely different side and comfortable winners (e.g. 2 goals first half) OR will we again bewilder anyone with eyes make heavy weather of it and make a trip to Switzerland with a 0-0/narrow 1-0 lead?!

There is an argument for not showing your hand when you have cut so many corners on the transfer business/coaching side of things that you need any advantage you can get to ensure we land the cash. So that adds fuel to the belief it'll be more turgid stuff with perhaps a single goal to the good at best.

There is also good reason to believe that the 'play weak when your strong' tactics is giving our management far too much credit and it's purely the coping mechanism of fans watching us descend to mediocrity in a number of respects.

The thing which I think needs to be recognized by our fans and the board is that for 2 full years Champions League money has been sitting there to be taken multiple times via different qualifications and we have been completely unprepared and ill-equipped to grab it despite knowing months in advance the task at hand. We did take one of those many chances but in honesty were unbelievably lucky to attain it via qualifying rounds last season. When you acknowledge those facts and our failure to cash in on investments at peak value  it makes our signing policy/fees/seeming penny-pinching mentality utterly incomprehensible. 

For me our general approach to tonight should be Cifuentes and Danilo to start, Dessers to be a nuisance and keep the big defensive guns busy to allow Danilo to poach goals, everyone pass the ball to Cifuentes who has the mandate of box to box and bully everycunt. Drive the ball through the middle, 1-2's and cutbacks on the deck if coming from out wide, no fucking high-crossballs to this imaginary world class header of the ball we have been aiming to every week for years - the only guys in our team recognised for heading ability in any way are Goldson and Soutar so it's a nonsense and it has to stop, it's actually a recognized weakness of Dessers and the supposed CB Davies (digression - surely that means he's not a CB?!

No one will be surprised though to see us to again churn out a bizarre team selection and turgid performance against "inferior" opposition that rules out ever making a profit on the broken toys we are signing for seemingly that express purpose.

Blue tinted specs on, Beale does some version of what I've suggested and we win summit like 4-1, Danilo 2 goals over 90.

If as you say everyone is told to pass to cifuentes that would make us piss easy to play against, they’d nullify that and we’d be fucked as they would cotton onto it pretty quickly 

3 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

If as you say everyone is told to pass to cifuentes that would make us piss easy to play against, they’d nullify that and we’d be fucked as they would cotton onto it pretty quickly 

I'd expect it to be a little more or a professional take than I presented. The point I was essentially getting at is that he's the one player who is match sharp, he can run box to box fending off midfielders with a lean of the shoulder and he can play ball,.....by default that makes him heart and soul of our midfield at present and we should utilize it to full effect after that showing on Saturday with so much at stake.

3 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Butland

Tav Goldson Souttar Sterling

Cantwell Rasin Cifuentes

Lammers 

Danilo Dessers

This is the area we need to be at our strongest more than anything.

Can’t afford go in there with Lundstram again, although suspect we will. 

3 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Butland

Sterling Goldson Souttar Ridvan

Raskin  Cifuentes 

Cantwell

Sima    Danilo   Lammers 

Ridvan not fit, M.B. reckons v Morton he should be available 

Interesting take on things

In a statement, Servette chiefs said: “His visa has not yet been issued by the British authorities, the player is absent from the trip to Glasgow. The significant efforts made for more than two weeks by the club and its player, also in collaboration with the Scottish Football Association, have not been enough."

Butland

Tavernier Goldson Souttar Barisic

Cifuentes Raskin Jack

Cantwell

Danilo Lammers

That or Lammers and Cantwell as two 10s and Danilo sole striker. Dessers hasn't looked ready for this game on what we've seen so far.