Goldson

Gascoigne8

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Those who think Goldson isn’t our best defender have obviously forgotten how we’ve looked literally every time he’s been unavailable.

He's also been at the heart of the defence that has had far too many howlers as well

Goldson domestically is very good for us and probably our best defender. But he’s still got a f*ck up in him and that gets exposed more in Europe. Tav certainly doesn’t help him on his right side as he very rarely cuts out cross balls.  Borna not much better on the other side. Souttar who I like has cost us more this season and last night could be argued was at fault in 3 goals. De Jong is a very good attacker but again how many times did Goldson or Souttar really have a go at him. It should have been a total ding dong of a battle, and they should have went thru him a few times last night. Might be crude but it’s the dark arts and they used it thru out match.

I’ve mentioned this a few times in various threads but for me it’s our style of play that’s our biggest issue to how the team and defence play. No urgency or tempo, never on front foot, so players and crucially for our defenders wait for ball rather than attack it.  We never anticipate again because a slow timid passing style leaves us slow in reactions. 

I think in some ways Scottish football holds us back too. We don’t come up against the technique here that we do in Europe. So our players kind of expect most of the ball, know they will get it back quickly if they lose it. Can’t take multiple touches and play safe, cautious, football. We aren’t used to pressure or passing and moving at pace or higher tempo. 

I feel Goldson can be really casual at times (similar to our style) and this gets exposed in Europe.

Ultimately he’s 1 of 3 defenders who have been with us for 5-6 years and we’ve won 2 trophies in that time and we’ve seen many error strewn performances like last night.

So it’s totally arguable that he’s not good enough.

17 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Well as vice captain, if you can see that their best player in the air, who has already punished us 2-3 times in the tie, is being marked by someone very weak in the air, you should make the decision to overrule the coaches plans. 

Would Terry Butcher/Richard Gough/Amoruso have passed the buck there because of the set piece coaches instructions, would they fuck. 

We ended up defending a set piece immediately after we’d scored to get back in the tie, with both of our best players in the air (CBs) miles away from an in swinging ball, with the oppositions best aerial threat getting a clear run onto it. That’s fucking criminal at amateur level, let alone in the CL

Looked to me like Lammers was told to man mark Jong  at set pieces as Goldson was getting bullied somewhat. 

That’s a direct instruction from the coach, players would be hung out to dry if they went against it. 

4 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

Goldson domestically is very good for us and probably our best defender. But he’s still got a f*ck up in him and that gets exposed more in Europe. Tav certainly doesn’t help him on his right side as he very rarely cuts out cross balls.  Borna not much better on the other side. Souttar who I like has cost us more this season and last night could be argued was at fault in 3 goals. De Jong is a very good attacker but again how many times did Goldson or Souttar really have a go at him. It should have been a total ding dong of a battle, and they should have went thru him a few times last night. Might be crude but it’s the dark arts and they used it thru out match.

I’ve mentioned this a few times in various threads but for me it’s our style of play that’s our biggest issue to how the team and defence play. No urgency or tempo, never on front foot, so players and crucially for our defenders wait for ball rather than attack it.  We never anticipate again because a slow timid passing style leaves us slow in reactions. 

I think in some ways Scottish football holds us back too. We don’t come up against the technique here that we do in Europe. So our players kind of expect most of the ball, know they will get it back quickly if they lose it. Can’t take multiple touches and play safe, cautious, football. We aren’t used to pressure or passing and moving at pace or higher tempo. 

I feel Goldson can be really casual at times (similar to our style) and this gets exposed in Europe.

Ultimately he’s 1 of 3 defenders who have been with us for 5-6 years and we’ve won 2 trophies in that time and we’ve seen many error strewn performances like last night.

So it’s totally arguable that he’s not good enough.

Agree re De Jong, he should’ve been handled more robustly to say the least. 

24 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Well as vice captain, if you can see that their best player in the air, who has already punished us 2-3 times in the tie, is being marked by someone very weak in the air, you should make the decision to overrule the coaches plans. 

Would Terry Butcher/Richard Gough/Amoruso have passed the buck there because of the set piece coaches instructions, would they fuck. 

We ended up defending a set piece immediately after we’d scored to get back in the tie, with both of our best players in the air (CBs) miles away from an in swinging ball, with the oppositions best aerial threat getting a clear run onto it. That’s fucking criminal at amateur level, let alone in the CL

I couldn’t understand this last night. Lammers may be tall, but nothing so far has shown he’s hard or robust in challenges! Their most dangerous threat in the air and our two biggest and supposedly hardest defenders are 3 or 4 yards behind him marking others.  If that’s instructions from coach then he’s not got a clue, if that’s decided by Goldson or Souttar then they are cowards.  It’s just common sense to put your biggest, hardest player on their biggest harder player. 

another thing I noticed last night is we kept a high line defending free kicks and were undone almost every time ball was swung into box. That’s another tactic or decision we got wrong last night. Suits attackers more than defenders to me. Defenders are caught side on to ball a it and are trying to play almost an offside type,approach rather than having backs to goal and facing incoming ball better.

6 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Not a very high bar, Goldson is shit, always has been, always will be, what he excels at is blaming everyone else for his fuck ups

Doesn't help he having to cover two positions at once the majority of the time 

6 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Not a very high bar, Goldson is shit, always has been, always will be, what he excels at is blaming everyone else for his fuck ups

Doesn't help he having to cover two positions at once the majority of the time 

2 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Or even two posts saying the same thing

of course covering two positions is exactly what went wrong at the various free headers given to PSV. You are making excuses that no one else would get.

3rd goal summed he and Tav up. 

Stupid free kick to give away from Tav, no communication at the back for said free kick, no leadership and free header for the opposition with Tav and Goldson looking to blame everyone else. 

12 hours ago, ger4life_1872 said:

By a fucking country mile too

Seriously? You must be young. He would not get a game in any other Rangers team before 2012. He is a donkey and so is Tav. They are the problem with our defence. Both of them are liabilities, costing us the Europa league to name one trophy. Remember what they said after the Hibs game "when it was 2-0 at half time , we knew we wouldn't win " Any Rangers manager before 2012 would have punted the both of them. Beale is another one we need to get rid off as he is a youth coach and nothing more.

1 minute ago, King Rager said:

3rd goal summed he and Tav up. 

Stupid free kick to give away from Tav, no communication at the back for said free kick, no leadership and free header for the opposition with Tav and Goldson looking to blame everyone else. 

It's fairly simple movement from De Jong as well. He wanders offside and then moves back onside into an area between Lammers and Tav as the freekick is taken.

So either someone has to follow him, or the backline communicates that he's moving across it. Nobody followed his movement and the communication was non-existent. 

On Goldson, it's wild that people mark him out as shite. He's put in collosal performances in Europe for us and domestically. He is, however, prone to errors. Of course he is.

I think @McEwan's Lager summed it up best earlier in the thread, we seem to be utterly incapable of signing players who are better than him or at the very least on par with him. That is a damning indictment of our recruitment. 

Edit: wanted to add that the error last night was of Cammy Bell Vs Motherwell proportions. Felt like an utter mental collapse, which is worrying when he's a senior member of the squad. 

6 minutes ago, Benidormbear said:

Seriously? You must be young. He would not get a game in any other Rangers team before 2012. He is a donkey and so is Tav. They are the problem with our defence. Both of them are liabilities, costing us the Europa league to name one trophy. Remember what they said after the Hibs game "when it was 2-0 at half time , we knew we wouldn't win " Any Rangers manager before 2012 would have punted the both of them. Beale is another one we need to get rid off as he is a youth coach and nothing more.

He’s better than Goian, Bocanegra, Rodriguez, Fanfan, Kyriakos and many more

Goldson is our best defender hands down...

...and there in lies the problem. Our defence is pretty piss poor. 

Personally, i think we need to go to 3 at the back. Push the wingback forward to make it more a 3-5-2.

Beale has spent a lot of money but not really in the right areas. It was always going to be difficult. The team needs a full clean out and we just don't have the money.

9 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

On Goldson, it's wild that people mark him out as shite. He's put in collosal performances in Europe for us and domestically. He is, however, prone to errors. Of course he is.

I think @McEwan's Lager summed it up best earlier in the thread, we seem to be utterly incapable of signing players who are better than him or at the very least on par with him. That is a damning indictment of our recruitment. 

Edit: wanted to add that the error last night was of Cammy Bell Vs Motherwell proportions. Felt like an utter mental collapse, which is worrying when he's a senior member of the squad. 

Yeah that’s what I was getting at.

We built a decent core of a squad and we failed to both build on it and sell and replace players.

The only player we have signed that was a better defender than Goldson made Kemar Roofe look like Stanley Matthews in terms of physical fitness.

1 hour ago, Amokachi said:

Looked to me like Lammers was told to man mark Jong  at set pieces as Goldson was getting bullied somewhat. 

That’s a direct instruction from the coach, players would be hung out to dry if they went against it. 

Hung out to dry, or praised for using their initiative, 

We cant just send out 11 robots that will just simply follow instructions 

We need free thinking players that will see how the game is panning out and adjust them (and their teammates) thinking on the field, 

A player simply gets to pass the buck by saying "my manager told me to do this" 

The captain and vice captain have a duty to lead the team during the game, not just cower away saying "beale said we've to do it this way" 

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He couldn't lace Bocanegras' boots. Who are these may more? Gough, Butcher Jackson? Goldson is a liability, get your eyes tested. He is the invisible finger pointing man. He is missing more than defending then seeks to blame others. Tav needs someone beside him, lunstrum or Jack to help him out , he is another liability. The PSV manager had his players marking Cantwell , Raskin and Mantondo. Who would have thought that? not Beale obviously, the youth coach pretending to be manager. Rangers managers let the players do the talking on the park, not some gobshite like Beale.

10 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He's absolutely not better than goian, bocanegra and kyriakos

Arguably the only two teams goldson gets into is mcleish's 2nd full season and PLG team, every other time we had more commanding and more reliable centre halves who you trusted to do the basics