Dessers

BigBearButt

Just now, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Tbf we didn't spend a fucking fortune on mccoist and boyd either, even given inflation and whatnot, both mccoist and boyd were signed younger than dessers and cheaper than dessers 

Not dessers fault granted

Doesn't really matter, they're all doing the same jobs with the same requirements and the same expectation.

Happy for him and also ive noticed in his interview stating that he clearly understands why theres rotation between him and Silva and that the club need every single soul to push forward. Very pleasant surprise considering hes scored 2 vs RC and then was sat on the bench for Silva. A nice bloke, a strong character and obviously putting the team first. Stay injury free and he can get to 25 by the end of the season imo. 

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Doesn't really matter, they're all doing the same jobs with the same requirements and the same expectation.

Buying a 23yo striker for 400 grand from killie and spending 4mill on a 28yo? striker from serie a is going to carry much differing levels of expections

People rightly or wrongly expect dessers to be taking the chances he's missing, and given the ones he scores are harder, its no wonder people discuss him a lot

His 1v1 for example against st johnstone was laughingly embarrassing, yet his finish for his first today was utterly tremendous

3 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Tbf we didn't spend a fucking fortune on mccoist and boyd either, even given inflation and whatnot, both mccoist and boyd were signed younger than dessers and cheaper than dessers 

Not dessers fault granted

We spent 200k on McCoist which would have been a lot of money for a 21 year old at the time. We spent not much more on the likes of Butcher and Woods years later and both were England internationals.

39 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Remember when the cry babies were saying we won't win a league with Dessers up top in January 😂

I don't care if he misses a few chances, if he keeps scoring and we keep winning I'm happy. 

Bit early to be crowing about that! Let’s wait and see if he continues his form and bags the chances he will need to in tighter games.

But for now he’s playing well, as is the whole team

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Bit early to be crowing about that! Let’s wait and see if he continues his form and bags the chances he will need to in tighter games.

But for now he’s playing well as is the whole team

January was even earlier to be calling folk deluded for thinking we could win the league.

11 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

We spent 200k on McCoist which would have been a lot of money for a 21 year old at the time. We spent not much more on the likes of Butcher and Woods years later and both were England internationals.

Given we chased him before he fucked off down south and got him half the price it would have cost us first time, most would argue we got a decent deal

Dessers, while playing well just now, is still prove anywhere near his worth (again not his fault perhaps) mccoist also had a decent record in scotland to back up us buying him, dessers before us had a pretty dismal scoring record

Again though, while he scores two of say 5 or 6 chances we'll win most games, and given where beale left us, I'll gladly take it right now

51 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Remember when the cry babies were saying we won't win a league with Dessers up top in January 😂

I don't care if he misses a few chances, if he keeps scoring and we keep winning I'm happy. 

Agree with you my good pal 🤣

16 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Buying a 23yo striker for 400 grand from killie and spending 4mill on a 28yo? striker from serie a is going to carry much differing levels of expections

People rightly or wrongly expect dessers to be taking the chances he's missing, and given the ones he scores are harder, its no wonder people discuss him a lot

His 1v1 for example against st johnstone was laughingly embarrassing, yet his finish for his first today was utterly tremendous

At the time it was a lot of cash for us.

By the by, though, and kind of reinforces the point. When folk are chatting about a performance in a single game and assessing how a player played, they normally discuss it on its merits in an absolute sense, they don't perform a financial relativity assessment.

I don't remember players ever having their misses weighed against them when they score two in the way Dessers does, not just talking about Boyd or McCoist here. People normally just accept the two goal return.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

At the time it was a lot of cash for us.

By the by, though, and kind of reinforces the point. When folk are chatting about a performance in a single game and assessing how a player played, they normally discuss it on its merits in an absolute sense, they don't perform a financial relativity assessment.

I don't remember players ever having their misses weighed against them when they score two in the way Dessers does, not just talking about Boyd or McCoist here. People normally just accept the two goal return.

Flo used to get it tight and he ended up scoring well for us 

As much as he played well today (bar the two sitters) the big games will be remembered more, next OF for example if he starts he really needs to put in a performance, 

And on a single game basis or over a period, unfortunately for dessers, the money spent on him will be a factor in people's opinions of his performance or performances

As i said earlier, his two goals, one was a great finish, one i think was easy (others disagree) but his two misses were poor, especially the 3 attempts at the rebound that he was offside for, he's an enigma the now, he scores that belter away to betis, yet that 1v1 against st johnstone was amateurish at best

His movement and positioning and his hold up play is excellent. His ability to score magnificent goals is also brilliant. His lack of a clinical cutting edge for easier chances is obviously the problem.

But having said that if he had that last thing as well he'd be paying in one of the top European leagues and not on Scotland.

35 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Given we chased him before he fucked off down south and got him half the price it would have cost us first time, most would argue we got a decent deal

Dessers, while playing well just now, is still prove anywhere near his worth (again not his fault perhaps) mccoist also had a decent record in scotland to back up us buying him, dessers before us had a pretty dismal scoring record

Again though, while he scores two of say 5 or 6 chances we'll win most games, and given where beale left us, I'll gladly take it right now

McCoist was pretty awful the first couple of seasons with us, his saving grace was that he could always put the ball in the net against celtic.  Still have Ally’s miss against Inter Milan away as one of the most embarrassing misses I have seen from a Rangers forward.

Not saying he’s anywhere as good but Dessers reminds me a bit of Hateley’s first few months with us.  Hateley was slow, laborious and out of touch too start with but became like a different player in the second half of the season.  Starting to see a similar type improvement with Dessers, the last couple of matches he’s starting to run away from defenders which he didn’t look capable of a few months ago.

1 hour ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Nobody is, its a discussion of his performance, he scored two, and missed 2 easier chances, of course that's going to bring debate 

Aye one of which you said 90% of the forum woulda scored 😂

If it's no Dessers it's Goldson you're on about. Just take a wee night aff. 

1 hour ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

The biggest enigma we've ever had

That sums him up perfectly. 

Infuriating at times, but then the difference between a win and a loss. Not so much today, but he has scored goals that have won us games. 

We have to rely on him and Silva upfront, and so far they've both been available. 

Roofe coming back is a bonus, and I hope he doesn't breakdown again. Feel bad for the guy as it must be a struggle/disheartening for him. 

Thought he was excellent today, laughable miss for the one he was offside mind you.

I've accepted the fact he will frustrate the life out of me but his goals have been pivotal and his all round play seems to be much better.

Keeps up the form and fires us to a league title then the £4million will be money well spent.

6 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Looking at the highlights of the one Dessers got himself clear as well, it's by no means a gimme. People talking like it's a horrible miss or a sitter are wide of the mark.

That one was a good run from him, he just never caught it right, but did well to make the chance, the heeder and then the 3 attempts at the rebound were the poor ones 

Had he missed his first goal, but scored the heeder instead, people wouldnt be wondering about him, 2 easy chances 2 goals, its the fact he misses the easy ones then produces a finish like his first goal 

Just now, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Clearly not, the debate started when a poster said dessers scored two goals that others wouldn't 

Id argue that everyone of our first team squad would bury that 2nd goal

Maybe means others wouldn't be in the position to score it ? He nearly loses it then it breaks back to him and hes there to put it away.

Just now, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Maybe means others wouldn't be in the position to score it ? He nearly loses it then it breaks back to him and hes there to put it away.

Thats a completely different argument and one which the poster wasn't attempting going by the follow up posts

Doesn't matter anyway, he banged two in, missed two others he should have scored, played well with everyone else, if the team continues along this form he'll score at least another ten in all comps before the season is out barring injury etc