Welcome to Rangers, Philippe Clement!

2 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Also who the fuck is to come on for Diomande when Lundstram got himself sent off?

Oh aye, let's just sit back and be happy it was only two in a must-win situation. Of course, the obvious answer was Cantwell.

I get that people have gone off him. I don't like his social media stuff either, but Clement is being stubborn as fuck here.

He probably won't play for Rangers again. It's not a big loss, but he should have played a part today.

3 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

We have won 3 out of our last 8 league games which is fuckin awful. Team selections and tactics fuckin suspect too

Not much to choose from really - but the games we dropped points the squad should win with any manager in charge basically 

1 hour ago, allgavesome said:

keep hearing this shite every season.They are not spending 30 - 40 million on players it's never happening.

You are aware that they are already doing it and have done the last 3 seasons? 

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He presses far better than Lawrence and has far more energy so if you’re going to play a 10 rather than change the shape of the midfield then it’s a no brainer for Cantwell.

Starting Lawrence absolutely killed us.

Not only the lack of press or hold up.

But a lot of the first goal is on him. McGregor runs off him with ease. And Lawrence doesn’t even try to close him or stick a leg out for the cut back to O’Riley.

Its piss poor basics. Cantwell, Raskin, anyone with legs would have been a better option than Lawrence.

Clement can’t moan about starting slow. When he picks Lawrence and Barasic and leaves our energetic players on the bench.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He presses far better than Lawrence and has far more energy so if you’re going to play a 10 rather than change the shape of the midfield then it’s a no brainer for Cantwell.

Starting Lawrence absolutely killed us.

I was saying before the game that it was a gamble playing Lawrence as you don't know which version is going to turn up.

Today he looked slow, ponderous and he definitely held us up going forward. I agree that Cantwell starts the press well, but I reckon the thinking was probably coming from an experience / disciplined way of playing. 

It obviously didn't work for us. I like Cantwell as well, just wish he was more consistent.

11 minutes ago, shaka said:

A big clue on his future will be how we line up at the start of next season.  If he's not move on almost half the current default first picks like Tav, etc, then he won't be here for long regardless of the position he was in when he started with us.  He's got a full summer transfer window to get rid of the failures and bring in real quality.

Part from Butland, Rangers  and quality just don't go hand-in-hand.

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

I like the wee man, tries like a bear and generally offers a good outlet when he's asked to. 

He won't be the starting right winger / midfielder we need going forward though as he isn't good enough for that, but he's a very useful squad option. 

He might develop a bit more but he’s not showing he’s a useful squad option when he doesn’t really create chances never mind actually have numbers and invariably can’t beat his man.

Won’t go too harsh on him as it’s not his fault he’s been thrown in but what other teams in the league would he be a starter for? I can’t think of many if any and that’s not good enough for. a Rangers squad player.

Just now, OrangeRab said:

Not only the lack of press or hold up.

But a lot of the first goal is on him. McGregor runs off him with ease. And Lawrence doesn’t even try to close him or stick a leg out for the cut back to O’Riley.

Its piss poor basics. Cantwell, Raskin, anyone with legs would have been a better option than Lawrence.

Clement can’t moan about starting slow. When he picks Lawrence and Barasic and leaves our energetic players on the bench.

That's probably the biggest criticism of the gaffer today, we went with experience rather than legs.

I think some of the choices will have been down to fitness etc (Ridvan), but against them you have to outrun them and match them for energy, especially at the piggary. 

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

Oh aye, let's just sit back and be happy it was only two in a must-win situation. Of course, the obvious answer was Cantwell.

I get that people have gone off him. I don't like his social media stuff either, but Clement is being stubborn as fuck here.

He probably won't play for Rangers again. It's not a big loss, but he should have played a part today.

Why? Because we're hoping his fancy flicks that rarely do anything other than give the ball away might come good this one time?

He's a petulant manchild that doesn't do the hard teamwork required.

3 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I like the wee man, tries like a bear and generally offers a good outlet when he's asked to. 

He won't be the starting right winger / midfielder we need going forward though as he isn't good enough for that, but he's a very useful squad option. 

Archie Stevens is a better young player but it sounds like he is heading back to England (sought after) because he can't get a sniff. 

plays for England unders.

33 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I still think you can see a style being implemented mate. I know the personnel are 90% of the problem but the personnel we have is good enough to see a style being implemented against Dundee, Ross county, Motherwell etc.

Hate saying it, but look at them under Ange's first season. At the beginning they were dropping points but they could all see what he was trying to do. Inverted full backs, high press etc. 

Again, Clement has done well and I'm still behind him but it's felt like just getting over the line for ages without seeing a s

And if you remember fattys first 5 months, he was a winter break being brought forward away from losing it all, but after jan when he had a first team that consisted of maybe 8 or 9 starters all signed by him then obviously its gonna work better 

Our squad is made up of Warburton, pedro, gerrard, gio, beale and clement signings, arguably only 3 or 4 you'd keep as rest seem mentally incapable of mounting a consistent challenge

The last time we beat the papes in a league game that actually meant something in the context of the league was when fatty was still using most of lennons duds that bombed the ten, aside from the cup win under gio we've barely laid a glove on them and took a couple of hidings in the process, 

The squad absolutely needs ripped up and decimated, 

17 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

McCausland to play on the right, with a counter attacking second half is 100% the right decision over Cantwell.

In fact, McCausland, who isn’t very good is our best option on the right. 

Agreed , trying to play counter attacking with a right winger is a stupid decision though with the choices available 

The players have shat it in the last few weeks; I'll be glad to see the back of many of them but the manager deserves more time; if someone had said when he was appointed that we would have the League Cup, a Scottish Cup final and run celtic close in the league they would have committed you to Carstairs.

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Aye what you should do with 10 men is going even less compact, bring on a guy who can’t keep his position who actively gets in the way of other players to get on the ball himself.

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

That's probably the biggest criticism of the gaffer today, we went with experience rather than legs.

I think some of the choices will have been down to fitness etc (Ridvan), but against them you have to outrun them and match them for energy, especially at the piggary. 

And absolutely none of the ones he didnt start (bar yilmaz) have ever shown against the papes that they have the mentality and the grit to do the running and go toe to toe with them

The squad he has right now is full of 5 past managers players, all of whom have never been good enough over a long period of time and mentally strong enough when in a battle

12 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Post evidence it’s the same folk.

Just the two examples good enough for you?

On 30/12/2023 at 16:34, STEPPS BOY said:

Sand Dancer..

Empty.

5 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I honestly can’t believe he’s went with that team.

The definition of insanity…..

On 30/12/2023 at 16:26, BlueAvenger said:

I’ve never been his biggest fan either. I’ll say it again, he’s not as good as he or some fans think he is. 

5 hours ago, BlueAvenger said:

A fuckin awful starting 11. Just get fuckin into they bastards 

6 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He might develop a bit more but he’s not showing he’s a useful squad option when he doesn’t really create chances never mind actually have numbers and invariably can’t beat his man.

Won’t go too harsh on him as it’s not his fault he’s been thrown in but what other teams in the league would he be a starter for? I can’t think of many if any and that’s not good enough for. a Rangers squad player.

I do think he'd start at a few spfl teams, but he's still very green and has a lot of development to do. Maybe not Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen but potentially a couple lower ones. 

4 minutes ago, JWAC said:

Why? Because we're hoping his fancy flicks that rarely do anything other than give the ball away might come good this one time?

He's a petulant manchild that doesn't do the hard teamwork required.

Cantwell’s work rate is consistently excellent.

Yes he’ll try something others won’t but good teams need that.

8 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

He wouldn't have had to have changed it 20 minutes into the first half if he wasn't insistent on playing the same formation, every single Rangers fan this week has said there's no way we can go with the 4231, the midfield would get overrun. 

Infact he actually made it worse than we expected by playing Lawrence in the 10, Cantwell for all his faults can at least run about a bit, Lawrence was a fucking statue the whole game and when he did get the ball he wasted it.

Sterling has been outstanding nearly everywhere he's played, the point was we needed him in midfield, before during and after the game we've all said it, i'm no saying King is the answer but would've 100% took him if it meant having an actual centre half on the park and moving Sterling into midfield onto McGregor.

As for the end of the game, its gung ho at that stage, that's my point, wasn't any harm in leaving Dessers on and just going for it, better to lose 3/4-1 than not having a shot at goal 2nd half

No one's arguing different about the midfield we should have started. No one, anywhere. You were disagreeing about in game decisions though, were you not? 

Cantwell can run a bit, apart from the last 2 times we've played them when he's gotten nowhere near McGregor. 

The gaffer got it right. Sterling was outstanding, again, and we needed him to fill in at the back. Chucking King on in a 2 man defence with 10 men would have been football suicide. 

But there was still a good 15 minutes to go and we needed at least 1 goal before we could start dreaming. They missed chance after chance against 2 banks of 4, they would've been out of sight against a 3 man midfield and a defence that included King on the same side as fucking Tav. 

21 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It’s not about turning against him.

Any mongo who watched the first half of the last OF with Lundstram and Diomande, with Lawrence in the 10 knows you couldn’t possibly go with those three against their three again.

It’s not just about players letting him down, some of his decisions are right to be ridiculed.

Thanks for the mongo comment :craphead: I blame the players and you blame Phil that is fine, it is all about opinions.

I have noticed you have been turning against him for a wee while mate, so you just keep on that track, I will be supporting Phil into next season and IF he gets rid of the losers then he will have a chance of doing well. 

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I do think he'd start at a few spfl teams, but he's still very green and has a lot of development to do. Maybe not Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen but potentially a couple lower ones. 

That’s not exactly high praise though. Would we want us to sign a player not capable of starting for most clubs in the league as a squad player? Highly doubt it.

Someone might come back with Wright but he’s not good enough either.