Todd Cantwell

Clement substituted and humiliated Cantwell after 25 minutes. This was way before some of his strange Instagram posts. Todd may be his own worst enemy and has a history of it, but Clement has never taken to him and then has the gall to say post-match that he has a good relationship with him. :ang:

10 minutes ago, nik2402 said:

Classic case of a player who thinks he’s better than he is. Will always look to blame other people than have a real look in the mirror. 

Has talent and made sense to sign him but his mentality is weak. There’s a reason he ended up training with our B team and with Norwich reserves. 

Wee profile photo change for ye bud.

37 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

So if that’s the case and he’s going as Clement’s told him he’s not a key part of his plans, the majority of the comments in here are way off.

Obviously just guessing, but my gut would be it is more to do with Clement wanting Cantwell to be more disciplined / contribute in a certain way, which Cantwell is not willing to do.

Cantwell has always struck me as the type of player who is on the pitch to play his best game and not necessarily contribute to the wider team. That’s fine if you have the ability to consistently carry it off and the manager is willing to build a team around you playing that role. I don’t think Cantwell is good enough to deserve that type of role and I don’t think Clement builds teams that way.

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Yes - without seeing your last para, my first thought was that was the game with the tv blackout and we couldn’t see the comeback!

Did you go mate? I was lucky enough to get a ticket. It was some comeback.

Three of Jock Wallace signings that season: Smith, Russell and the late great Davie Cooper were a big part of the second half comeback. Happy days 😊

1 hour ago, BlueEdu said:

It’s funny, part of me wonders wtf is going on with this sudden exit of cantwell / Goldson / tav, and the other part of me thinks THANK FUCK

Every successful Rangers team has replaced our best players with better. We haven't just got rid with no back up plan which is what we've been doing the past few seasons. Cantwell, Goldson and Tav need replaced, not removed. I was going o rhyme off several players past and present where that applies but I hope you get what I mean. 

Butland, Diomande, Sterling and Sima were the only 4 I was interested in being involved in any "first 11" after the cup final.

It's clear Cantwell would never be happy, or affordable, being a rotation player at best. Nor has he been anywhere near consistent enough to make me think he could be this year.

Also if you don't want to be here then goodbye.

If the manager really believes in this number 10 thing then getting Lammers, Cantwell, Hagi, Lawrence and Dowell to fuck can mean we might be able to get someone half decent in there sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, real boydie9 said:

Did you go mate? I was lucky enough to get a ticket. It was some comeback.

Three of Jock Wallace signings that season: Smith, Russell and the late great Davie Cooper were a big part of the second half comeback. Happy days 😊

Unfortunately not mate - I used to get there about once or twice a season in those days.

Was early 90’s before I had a season ticket.

Must’ve been great  to be there for that! 

Unfortunately, I was at the sty to see much of that team for the first OF game of the following season when we lost 3-1.

26 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Clement substituted and humiliated Cantwell after 25 minutes. This was way before some of his strange Instagram posts. Todd may be his own worst enemy and has a history of it, but Clement has never taken to him and then has the gall to say post-match that he has a good relationship with him. :ang:

You’re at it with the digs at Clement

Absurd take

Just now, Essandoh said:

You’re at it with the digs at Clement

Absurd take

I've praised him in the past. Just calling it as I see mate (and I'm not the only one). There is no cohesion up and down the park. You would have to be blind not to see that. And it goes beyond pre-season games. These 30 players work together on tactics every day in training and it's clearly not transferring to game days.

6 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Unfortunately not mate - I used to get there about once or twice a season in those days.

Was early 90’s before I had a season ticket.

Must’ve been great  to be there for that! 

Unfortunately, I was at the sty to see much of that team for the first OF game of the following season when we lost 3-1.

1978/1979 season was the first time I attended a game at the piggery. 4-2 we lost. End of the season. It was basically a league decider. You were probably there. 

A win for us and we would have been home and dry. That one wasn't televised (thank fuck) another TV strike. 

9 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Because he wasn't following instructions and was generally embarrassing himself for those 25 minutes. 

It's not Clement's fault Cantwell is a fucking clown.

If he were to be consistent, he would take Matondo and McAusland off after 15 minutes, but he doesn't.

look, I'm not defending Cantwell here, I'm questioning Clement's man-managment skills.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If we were to be consistent, he would take Matondo and McAusland off after 15 minutes, but he doesn't.

look, I'm not defending Cantwell here, I'm questioning Clement's man-managment skills.

He doesn't because they're obviously following what he's telling them to do, poorly I may add, but at least they're doing so. Cantwell didn't on the other hand. 

And that's fine, but don't think the situation with Cantwell is the barometer. Cantwell's clearly a fud.

11 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Because he wasn't following instructions and was generally embarrassing himself for those 25 minutes. 

It's not Clement's fault Cantwell is a fucking clown.

Embarrassing himself :lol:

Anyway, after that when he worked his way back into playing centrally I don’t remember any issues with following instructions on the pitch yet it’s repeated constantly like this was a weekly problem.

10 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If he were to be consistent, he would take Matondo and McAusland off after 15 minutes, but he doesn't.

Why would he take those two off after 15 minutes?

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

Why would he take those two off after 15 minutes?

because they are hopeless and offer nothing. If you can't see that with your own two eyes then I don't know what else to say.

22 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Difference between not being good enough and playing shit and having the ability but not wanting to follow instructions.

One of Clement’s early press conferences he spoke about wanting to install patterns of play and drilling players to take up certain positions / makes certain runs so the player on the ball knew what options to expect (debate about how well that has been implemented is for another thread). I read the substitution against Limassol as Clement laying down a marker that if someone is consciously deciding they are bucking against that, as opposed to just not having the ability / footballing intelligence, then they wouldn’t play for him.

I think the issue between Clement and Cantwell is that Clement sees in Cantwell a player he thinks he could coach to play and contribute in his system but Cantwell doesn’t enjoy that style of football and wants a freer role.

8 minutes ago, westenclosure2008 said:

What was the last good game Cantwell had for us? 

He was ‘good’ in the cup final without being great.

Good in a few of the end of season games but assuming they don’t count he was excellent in the cup semi vs Hearts.

2 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

Difference between not being good enough and playing shit and having the ability but not wanting to follow instructions.

One of Clement’s early press conferences he spoke about wanting to install patterns of play and drilling players to take up certain positions / makes certain runs so the player on the ball knew what options to expect (debate about how well that has been implemented is for another thread). I read the substitution against Limassol as Clement laying down a marker that if someone is consciously deciding they are bucking against that, as opposed to just not having the ability / footballing intelligence, then they wouldn’t play for him.

I think the issue between Clement and Cantwell is that Clement sees in Cantwell a player he thinks he could coach to play and contribute in his system but Cantwell doesn’t enjoy that style of football and wants a freer role.

Good post and your last paragraph in particular is probably spot on.

Cantwell’s not the only one who doesn’t enjoy that style of football based on what we’re seeing either.

13 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Embarrassing himself :lol:

Anyway, after that when he worked his way back into playing centrally I don’t remember any issues with following instructions on the pitch yet it’s repeated constantly like this was a weekly problem.

Aye, he embarrassed himself that night. Fell over looking like a fanny trying daft spins. 

Yeah, he started doing what he was told after the event.

"It's repeated on here like it was a weekly problem" I don't know what you want me to say to that? You've probably picked up the wrong take if the rest of that post is anything to go by. 

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

Butland, Diomande, Sterling and Sima were the only 4 I was interested in being involved in any "first 11" after the cup final.

It's clear Cantwell would never be happy, or affordable, being a rotation player at best. Nor has he been anywhere near consistent enough to make me think he could be this year.

Also if you don't want to be here then goodbye.

If the manager really believes in this number 10 thing then getting Lammers, Cantwell, Hagi, Lawrence and Dowell to fuck can mean we might be able to get someone half decent in there sooner rather than later.

If we get a number 10 good enough, he can't just be good enough, he has to be pretty much indestructible too, because i can't see the back up options being anywhere near the quality required.

Started decent enough and then that wonder goal last season, in between was a lot of meh. Cant say I'll be sad to see the back of him and that stupid hair ribbon he wore. Guy was more interested in "the look" and social media posts. He'll never play for a club as prestigious as us. Some Saudi mob or Cardiff is what he deserves.