Todd Cantwell

8 hours ago, Kents_Hook said:

or maybe the board's decision just in case him and hagi get injured

No idea -  but we should be making this clown do something for his money till we get rid of him. Obviously don’t want him anywhere the first team but the idiot should be made to travel and sit on the bench for the B team 

Bottom line is that Cantwell is a decent player. His long crosses to the wing are excellent - a way of playing that Clement favours. He gets tackled and gets straight back up instead of rolling about for a fortnight. He has great technical ability.

But - personality wise, he seems to have made a bit of a dick of himself time and time again. A decent manager isn't all about results - he also has to be able to look after those that need more guidance and help. There is a saying amongst anyone who manages staff - 10% of your people take up 90% of your time. Cantwell clearly falls into this category.

This is where guys like Walter Smith and Brian Clough excelled - many other good managers too. Does Clement have this ability? Does he have anyone in his team who can do this, or have they just simply given up after a couple of issues and are only interested in results?

1 minute ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Bottom line is that Cantwell is a decent player. His long crosses to the wing are excellent - a way of playing that Clement favours. He gets tackled and gets straight back up instead of rolling about for a fortnight. He has great technical ability.

But - personality wise, he seems to have made a bit of a dick of himself time and time again. A decent manager isn't all about results - he also has to be able to look after those that need more guidance and help. There is a saying amongst anyone who manages staff - 10% of your people take up 90% of your time. Cantwell clearly falls into this category.

This is where guys like Walter Smith and Brian Clough excelled - many other good managers too. Does Clement have this ability? Does he have anyone in his team who can do this, or have they just simply given up after a couple of issues and are only interested in results?

This is all true but having watched him disregard instructions in that European game and get subbed after what 30 mins?  Suggests he’s possibly a complete nightmare to manage. 

impossible to tell who’s at fault though or if Clement’s style is an issue here.  He’s had issues of a similar nature elsewhere though which suggests to me it’s more likely that Cantwell is a difficult guy to manage.

Both Cantwell & Hagi would be an improvement on our current set-up. It's a shame it has come to this.

In Hagi's case, I can't help but feel he is being harshly treated. The manager has never watched him live, not even in training!

If it truly is contract-related, I'm sure the rich young man would be willing to negotiate in order to play again for Rangers.

8 minutes ago, Blue72 said:

This is all true but having watched him disregard instructions in that European game and get subbed after what 30 mins?  Suggests he’s possibly a complete nightmare to manage. 

impossible to tell who’s at fault though or if Clement’s style is an issue here.  He’s had issues of a similar nature elsewhere though which suggests to me it’s more likely that Cantwell is a difficult guy to manage.

Has Clement had major issues with other players, or has a history with his previous clubs? Not that I’ve seen / heard.

Has Cantwell had previous? Yes, with Norwich, Bournemouth and Rangers.

Impossible to tell… 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Has Clement had major issues with other players, or has a history with his previous clubs? Not that I’ve seen / heard.

Has Cantwell had previous? Yes, with Norwich, Bournemouth and Rangers.

Impossible to tell… 

There is always a question whether a different approach would work right, but yeah I’m definitely minded to assume it’s Cantwell to blame! 

2 hours ago, Blue72 said:

Exactly what I'm saying. Possible though that him and Phil just don't see eye to eye, and the soooner it's over - then the better for everyone.

He's 26 now and make or break time I think. The right man management could turn a good player into an excellent player.

2 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Exactly what I'm saying. Possible though that him and Phil just don't see eye to eye, and the soooner it's over - then the better for everyone.

He's 26 now and make or break time I think. The right man management could turn a good player into an excellent player.

Yeah agree but also depends on him buying in - not sure he ever will which is frustrating, some flashes of a really very good player in there.  

4 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Far more likely that managers like Walter and Clough wouldn’t have stood for his lack of effort and me, me, me attitude and binned him long ago.

Was a fan of his and stuck up for him numerous times on here but hes disgraced himself with his carry on. Handing in a transfer request when no one wants him has gave Clement no other option than to drop him and left him unable to replace him because of his wages.