Is Clement getting an easy ride?

3 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Definitely, but if we lose but deserve a point we cant be too critical of him 

We need to obviously, however if we don't due to someone papping one into the top corner from 30 yards or a dodgy VAR call, and give as good as we get, surely he cant be criticised then? 

Yes we can.

His record in OF games is a disgrace, it's time we actually fucking lay a glove on them.

18 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Thing is, tavs cross for Matondo goal wasn't actually that good, it was just a normal ball in, quite often we cross a lot like that and our striker movement is poor, Matondo movement makes the difference like we always suffered against the Tarriers 

They're good crosses - fired in low to the front post. And like you say, our movement to get onto them has been poor. Hopefully Matondo's goal is a sign our coaches are working on it.

1 hour ago, Rigamonti said:

They're good crosses - fired in low to the front post. And like you say, our movement to get onto them has been poor. Hopefully Matondo's goal is a sign our coaches are working on it.

Exactly what I thought - our wide players are now beginning to arrive in the box as 2nd strikers, when ball coming in from opposite side.  About fkn time too.

22 hours ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

Tbh given what he's still working with, the fanbase would likely accept us going there and going toe to toe for the full 90 and not shitting the bed against them, the result is the result but the performance is more important 

Obviously if we are absolutely stinking and somehow sneak a draw or win no one will care, but if we lose but give as good as we got and just a bit of quality is the difference then the fans would be a bit more lenient with him

You'd think

I kind of get what you are alluding to given recent performances, but that kind of sentiment is just wrong. 

Our history and success was built on defeat never being acceptable (at least on a domestic level).

While I appreciate where we are currently is nowhere near the levels of previous teams, and in an ideal world we would be putting going into OF games confident of the performance and the result, the first (and biggest) step in getting back to dominating domestically is getting a team on the pitch with the mentality that defeat is not acceptable.

48 minutes ago, rossco87 said:

I kind of get what you are alluding to given recent performances, but that kind of sentiment is just wrong. 

Our history and success was built on defeat never being acceptable (at least on a domestic level).

While I appreciate where we are currently is nowhere near the levels of previous teams, and in an ideal world we would be putting going into OF games confident of the performance and the result, the first (and biggest) step in getting back to dominating domestically is getting a team on the pitch with the mentality that defeat is not acceptable.

The result is what matters, but we need to see progress performance wise.

Another gutless capitulation, sitting back and waiting for the inevitable and I’m done with PC.

Go there and press, compete, go toe to toe with them and it doesn’t go in our favour I can accept at this stage in the rebuild. 

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

The result is what matters, but we need to see progress performance wise.

Another gutless capitulation, sitting back and waiting for the inevitable and I’m done with PC.

Go there and press, compete, go toe to toe with them and it doesn’t go in our favour I can accept at this stage in the rebuild. 

I get this sort of view too.

Though any sort of win irrespective of how shite the performance is will be so much more important longer term than another good performance but only ‘moral victory’.

Worse still if it’s a mediocre at best performance that he calls good.

He has to go man for man against them.

8 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I get this sort of view too.

Though any sort of win irrespective of how shite the performance is will be so much more important longer term than another good performance but only ‘moral victory’.

Worse still if it’s a mediocre at best performance that he calls good.

He has to go man for man against them.

100% agree. Then I realise that most likely means Tav v Maeda.....

:headwall:

19 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

100% agree. Then I realise that most likely means Tav v Maeda.....

:headwall:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose a goal from that area again.  For all our problems, I can’t believe he will still be RB, when he’s been to rinsed by him on several occasions before.

1 minute ago, DMax399 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose a goal from that area again.  For all our problems, I can’t believe he will still be RB, when he’s been to rinsed by him on several occasions before.

They undoubtedly target him and rightly so. Maeda always has an impact against him.

It's the crucial area of the pitch and unfortunately it's stacked in their favour.

20 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Tbh, I think Maeda can go past any of our defenders. Don’t think Sterling at RB, for example, would make any real difference. We need to try to double up on him - whether it’s a CD coming over, or a midfielder or RW dropping in.

5 minutes ago, left winger said:

Tbh, I think Maeda can go past any of our defenders. Don’t think Sterling at RB, for example, would make any real difference. We need to try to double up on him - whether it’s a CD coming over, or a midfielder or RW dropping in.

Tav is a lazy defender, he doesn't close down a defender or block a cross well enough. He gives Maeda space to run into, and to run at and past him multiple times. A good defender would be far closer to Maeda before his first touch than Tav typically is to hit him when well away from our goal, or just to be goalside rather than in a footrace with him.

37 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Tav is a lazy defender, he doesn't close down a defender or block a cross well enough. He gives Maeda space to run into, and to run at and past him multiple times. A good defender would be far closer to Maeda before his first touch than Tav typically is to hit him when well away from our goal, or just to be goalside rather than in a footrace with him.

Exactly this. 

1 hour ago, left winger said:

Double up on Maeda :lol:

3 hours ago, left winger said:

Doubling up is probably the best approach, but I think that with Sterling’s higher level of mobility he would be a better choice than Tav.  Let’s hope that we don’t get done over again in that area again on Sunday, because it’s so obvious that we are suspect there based on previous games against them.

Don't agree with this at all regarding Sterling, when Sterling moved back into centre back at the piggery we were getting caught on the counter too easily but big Sterling took the ball off Maeda & Co with relative ease on 4 or 5 occasions 

You don't need to be fast or double up if don't give him space. Sterling would play him tight and Maeda would be aware of his presence all the time.

It won't happen, because we refuse to learn and change from the captain's mistakes in OF games. Expect Tav against Maeda with similar outcomes and we will only have ourselves to blame.

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Which is one of the reasons why a midfielder or winger should track back. I don’t think we have a defender as quick as him. And Tav’s ‘starting’ position will be dictated by the manager.