Gaz52

Do you believe in Mark Warburton?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the man to take us forward?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know/Undecided

16 minutes ago, glasgow argyle said:

of course Warburton wants us to play an expansive passing and high pressing game, but going away to Septic with those tactics with so many new players was naive.

We didn't go to the rolf harris arena with those tactics though. He chose an attacking lineup personnel wise and then told the team to sit deep and counter attack. We let them do whatever they wanted with the ball and invited them on to a defence that if you called it shaky would be being too kind.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I still do.

He's deserved the criticism we've given him but we have to remember he's still pretty new to this game and we knew that's what we were signing. He needs time to get it right, but needs to start showing that he can. 

He's still done many good things.

He needs to get the finger out and not be so rigid in his tactics/team selection.My faith in him had gone from sky rocket to waiting and seeing how he sets up the team for the rest of the campaign if he goes with the same old same old he will be gone at the end of the season.

No! Personally I don't believe he's the man to take us to 55. The following reasons for this are:

1) No plan B - won't change 

2) Tactically naive - can't defend 

3) Poor signings - bit of arrogance where he has disrespected the Scottish game by signing semi retired players and duds who can't get a game for lower English teams

I voted Yes. He has had a low key management profile before this season. This will be the next stage of his development as a manager and leader. I trust he will ring the changes that are required. If he doesn't then he will go back to managing clubs like Brentford 

I think also that the semi final game has managed to save him from grief. The last time I would say we played to our best was the first half against Livingston at Ibrox and we were 4 up by half time. It wouldnt have mattered who we played that day. Yes we played well the semi final but over 90 mins we could only draw with them and they were poor last year. 

Yes I actually do still believe in him.He has made some very poor decisions but all managers do at some point.God Fergie would have been a goner if he hadn't won that FA cup final many years ago at Man Unt and he didn't end up so bad!

He inherited a complete basket case of a club.Brought pride and dignity back and with it a style of football we could only dream of before he came.

He led us to the Championship title at first asking,won the albatross round our neck challenge cup and got us to a major cup final.All in his first season.

He has revamped our scouting system and brought in some class additions to his back room staff to work on identifying and nurturing the best young talent around.This won't happen overnight but will reap rewards over time.

He is a fantastic ambassador for the club always representing us in a very professional manner.Looks out for our best interests and is a very articulate speaker.

I,like every other fan was raging on Saturday.I also comment on many occasion on our frailties and how I can't believe why he doesn't appear to see them.Thats what these forums are for.We can come on here,put our rage,disappointment,anger in print and feel a little better for it.

I think he has underestimated this league and struggles at time with blinkered vision and beliefs.Last weekend would have been a real eye opener for him.He now knows more than any sound bite could have told him what being a Rangers manager really means and entails.

Yes the honeymoon is over but that's got to happened eventually.Its now time for him to show his credentials,learn from his experience,roll up his sleeves and identify the changes needed to make this marriage work.Our role in this is to support him in doing so.as we are all partners in this and like all partners we won't always agree on each other's methods.What we all want is what's best for our club.

I believe at this moment in time he is our best option and do have faith in him to deliver.

1 hour ago, demise said:

If we dont start winning our games, and by winning i mean doing it comfortably, i think my faith in MW will be gone right after the Ross County game. 

You talk about winning games comfortably then say your faith will be gone right after one game. Which is it?

I do yes but he made glaring errors on Saturday and that has to stop...

Young pacy football has worked so bring it back. 

If we go on.a good winning streak till Christmas then he'll have proved he can do it in this league surrounded by the hatred we have to endure from our government to the media ..

See the mistakes he's made, they are especially infurating as we know the mistakes he will make or can call it before it happens and after the event he always says the same pish about "we will learn" ...

He needs to decide his strongest XI and in particular his strongest center back pairing and stick with it and give them time to understand each other and build relationships on the park.

I don't buy into him being too loyal to some players - I've seen him drop Halliday, Wilson, Waghorn and even Holt being available he's not been used .. if Barton doesn't lose his place in the team then I might start to agree, though.

Very rarely I agree with his starting line-ups but I did agree with the midfield choice against Celtic on Saturday but only because I thought Nico and Barton owed us a performance. I was wrong too. But the difference is I would learn from it and not play them for a while - will Warburton learn? ... hmm not so sure.

I think our expectations were raised after the Dundee game and the semi final against them. All in all, we should've beat Hibs in the final, no excuses there. Hes signed practically a whole new team and is still tinkering with it. Its not working just now, but I think he'll get it right. Remember the taigs have also been reinvigorated and had money to spend too. Had we been established in the SPFL for a few seasons, the changes they made wouldve raised their challenge.

Yes he is the man to take us forward at this time, because:

1. Clearly has potential, but it has to be recognised he is still learning and needs to be given time.

2. I cannot see how we can afford to replace him, or who would take the job with the expectation levels (ie complete for the league) whilst not being given the same level of funding as Rodgers.

If however we start getting regularly whacked by the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen, then there needs to be a rethink.

Part of the difficulty is that there is still a question over the longer term funding of the Club which is yet to be resolved. At the same time the drop off in performance at the end of last season was alarming, and the responsibility for that performance drop lies firmly with Manager and his players. I have the feeling we have to see a harder side to Warbs character if he is going to get the squad performing. This will be the season where we genuinely see what he and his players are made off.

18 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

You talk about winning games comfortably then say your faith will be gone right after one game. Which is it?

He blew it on saturday big time, im sure you imagine. And the only thing that can get fans off his back is big changes on the tactics and performance against RC. If theres no response to what happened at Piggery, and we end up being woeful again, its obvious that people will start losing faith in him. You can add his pathetic excuses for the 1-5 defeat to that. Not that hes not a good manager, but obviously he is not showing up until now that he is good enough to lead Rangers in the Premiership. So far the only games we were looking good at, were against low league teams. Time to see a solid performance agains a Premiership side. A 90 mins one. 

Not really sure how anyone can say they believe in him completely then go on to list the things he's doing wrong and changes he needs to make. Until he shows he is actually able, or willing, to learn from the mistakes he admits himself keep being made its an 'I don't know' from me. Saturday may just have been a watershed moment for him to go back to the basics and try to bring back the energy and commitment of the start of last season.

I can't think of anyone else who we could get.

I have 100% faith in Mark Warburton. He has represented this amazing club of ours with the respect and dignity it deserves. Results may have not went our way so far, but if that inspires a shit in ideology then it'll be a blessing in disguise. 

Well.. yes.  But let's face it.. McCoist set a pretty low bar.  Anyone would have been an improvement.  That said... he has integrity, professional, & represents the club well.  But we have had a slide in form for months and it simply has not been stopped.

He has more time -- but not much more.  Barton and Niko need to be benched. He needs to make the tough choices.. that's what he's paid for.

I do for now yes but we've gone far away from the time where it felt like he could do no wrong, he's gotten quite a bit wrong the last few months and it needs rectifying. The bad start needs to be turned around in the coming weeks, not in terms of winning the league as that already looks a step too far this season but we need to get back to what made us admire him so much in the first place, there's no valid excuses as to why we shouldn't be playing a lot better and be a comfortable 2nd in this league. Even if that requires dropping some big name, highly paid players then Warburton has to do that.

40 minutes ago, Gandalf the Blue said:

I think our expectations were raised after the Dundee game and the semi final against them. All in all, we should've beat Hibs in the final, no excuses there. Hes signed practically a whole new team and is still tinkering with it. Its not working just now, but I think he'll get it right. Remember the taigs have also been reinvigorated and had money to spend too. Had we been established in the SPFL for a few seasons, the changes they made wouldve raised their challenge.

I don't know so much about those games raising expectations but they did show what we were capable of playing with that style and how we seem to have moved away from it. It isn't a whole new team as such, 6 players from last season started on Saturday and three more came off the bench, but if new players are struggling to adapt then Mark has to be brave and drop them for last season's players (whenever they're fit).

He has a project to rebuild the football ethos and way of working throughout the Club.   Fair enough.  

He has a good reputation as a Manager.   Fair enough.  

He piloted our way to promotion last season.  Great stuff - but its a good job our form from April onwards wasn't on show earlier in the season or our games would still be at the Falkirks and Raith Rovers of Scottish football.   Form dipped badly from April onwards, we lost the Cup Final, and form has not been recovered this season.   That's a long track record of poor form.

Has he got the firepower and leadership mentality as a Manager to pilot Rangers to win 55, or even (this season) to get a European slot?   I don't see anywhere near enough evidence of it.   Repeated excuses.  Analysis after analysis telling us what went wrong or whats not working as intended but without any evidence of turning it around and putting things right.  He cannot seem to get the squad to play the way he wants them to play - game after game its the same underlying message.    That tells me he may have the ideas and the concepts and the analysis but is not able to command a squad to perform as required and deliver wins when wins need to happen. 

He may have a general football rebuild project at Ibrox and I'm sure he would be good at it.  But the central task is a first team that wins and he's not achieving that.   Ultimately it may be that he is better suited to a Director of Football role if he cannot find the ability to get the team to deliver.     The period between now and the start of 2017 will be quite a defining period for MW.

I read somewhere that McCoist has said on BBC radio that Rangers needs a dose of realism.   If he did say that then it sure would be interesting to know what he means by 'realism'.   Is he subscribing to the King mentality that just being here to compete this season is good enough along with winning a European slot?  Is that the message we are being invited to accept by King via a proxy of McCoist?    Or (in speculation) is the realism that McCoist speaks of a managerial realism and he is waiting under the shadow of King's wings to provide that realism if the season unfolds in a way not satisfactory to King?