Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

I don't think he was overly impressed with Pedro tbh or Warburton for that matter.

I get the feeling this is the first appointment King has been fully on board with.

King can do no wrong eh buddy?

36 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Remember Gerrard has a job at Liverpool pretty much as long as he wants it and the BT job as well and does he want to move his family up here?

Then there's the question of Rangers in their current shambolic state so just guessing I'd put it at no better than a 50/50 at best unless Gerard is right up for a challenge on and off the park.

All valid points.  

Seems to me that all the talk about Gerrard could be no more than a bit of a ploy to talk up the job of Rangers Manager with a big football name at a time when the season could still go one way (finish 2nd) or another - end up finishing 4th, and when there is a need to work up some sort of positive thinking / enthusiasm for next season as there are STs to be sold.  It gets the Support and the media talking about a big football name, the gamble it would be for Rangers and so on while the season fritters out with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place and its all then about next season and what happens with player transfer before the season starts.  

It could still be nothing much more than a deflection with a collective shrug of King and Board shoulders and a brief statement about aiming high but just couldn't make it happen.......and Murty is shoehorned in for another season because the options are so narrow or so unaffordable that Murty is all that can be afforded.    

I'm nor convinced the Board could afford Gerrard or any reasonably experienced good quality manager of a calibre that could lift Rangers into a proper title-challenging side anytime soon.  I'm not convinced there is enough money to create a big enough transfer pot to attract far better quality players.   I know there is an argument that says we can't afford not to but as far as I can see the reality is it would take significant £Ms to afford a Gerrard and a transfer budget for him or a far more experience and battle hardened manager and a transfer budget for that person. 

All the talk of Gerrard could be no more than the board being happy for a kite-flying exercise to be done as a nice deflection while the season fritters away only for the string to be cut at some time during ST sales period and we are left staring at the reality of who can be afforded.   It makes they look as though they are trying at a time when this season has not gone well and when its arguable that as many barbs should be aimed at the Board as are aimed at Murty and the first team squad.   They don't get 3 points for offering up the name of Gerrard.  All they really get is deflection from the reality of a failed season and a failed interim manager and a series of board failures in their efforts to appoint a proper manager.   It's deflection unless and until the reality of a Gerrard signature on a Rangers contract arrives. 

1 hour ago, billym27 said:

staunch cause i want my team to win? alright then. standards slipping here or something? never known any Rangers fans happy with a draw or defeat.

All fans want us to win every game but to have that as an expectation is of course ridiculous. When we do lose, it's how we lose and who against that counts not the fact that we lost. And sometimes the footy gods go against you. which is shite

29 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Seems to me that all the talk about Gerrard could be no more than a bit of a ploy to talk up the job of Rangers Manager with a big football name at a time when the season could still go one way (finish 2nd) or another - end up finishing 4th, and when there is a need to work up some sort of positive thinking / enthusiasm for next season as there are STs to be sold.  It gets the Support and the media talking about a big football name, the gamble it would be for Rangers and so on while the season fritters out with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place and its all then about next season and what happens with player transfer before the season starts.  

It could still be nothing much more than a deflection with a collective shrug of King and Board shoulders and a brief statement about aiming high but just couldn't make it happen.......and Murty is shoehorned in for another season because the options are so narrow or so unaffordable that Murty is all that can be afforded.    

I'm nor convinced the Board could afford Gerrard or any reasonably experienced good quality manager of a calibre that could lift Rangers into a proper title-challenging side anytime soon.  I'm not convinced there is enough money to create a big enough transfer pot to attract far better quality players.   I know there is an argument that says we can't afford not to but as far as I can see the reality is it would take significant £Ms to afford a Gerrard and a transfer budget for him or a far more experience and battle hardened manager and a transfer budget for that person. 

All the talk of Gerrard could be no more than the board being happy for a kite-flying exercise to be done as a nice deflection while the season fritters away only for the string to be cut at some time during ST sales period and we are left staring at the reality of who can be afforded.   It makes they look as though they are trying at a time when this season has not gone well and when its arguable that as many barbs should be aimed at the Board as are aimed at Murty and the first team squad.   They don't get 3 points for offering up the name of Gerrard.  All they really get is deflection from the reality of a failed season and a failed interim manager and a series of board failures in their efforts to appoint a proper manager.   It's deflection unless and until the reality of a Gerrard signature on a Rangers contract arrives. 

All it would take is for Stevie to come out and say he is not taking the job, if he is there on Sunday he probably is.

3 minutes ago, Malvern said:

All it would take is for Stevie to come out and say he is not taking the job, if he is there on Sunday he probably is.

Agree he just needs to say he’s not interested. So at the very least he’s considering it.

I don’t think he’ll be at the game regardless, if he is taking the job then the players will be told so that they are now playing to impress the next manager who happens to be one of the most successful English midfielders of the last 30 years.

Fact is were in shite state and if ever there was a job with good funds for the league we play in to turn it around and make a name in management then we're just what he needs or in fact any manager needs to raise there stock. Our budget is substantial more than everyone up here except the taigs too many underestimate what can be achieved given the right man in charge I believe SG drive and passion and what it means to play for a big club is exactley what we need at this moment employing an ageing manager looking to recruit raise his stock is not what we need. Drive ambition and the will to win is which SG has in abundance

50 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Aw for fucks sake , don't say that RB ! 

As much as I'm not sold on SG , I'd take him over Murty . Not to mention the embarrassment of being knocked back after such a big build up . Surely the board wouldn't be so stupid to play these kind of mind games . . . . . . . 

2 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

Can King give him this though, there is still a question mark on him after failing to comply with the TAB ruling. Imho I think this is a PR stunt but if I am wrong then SG will get my backing.

Gerrard isn't coming IMO if he's not getting a guaranteed  budget to compete with. 

If that comes out of kings pocket is a different question. Expect our absentee chairmen will use season ticket money, kit deal and any investment off Gerrard name to do it. 

40 minutes ago, Malvern said:

People forget the McInnes debacle where we had paper talk for about 5 weeks before we finally approached him and the Sheep only for him to rebuff us. We have had stories of Gerrard being in glenagles, signing off on deals, and it near enough done and dusted. This seems to have all arisen due to our erstwhile Chairman supporting his team during the week and this has led to dozens of ITK rumours flying around. Whilst I could believe Gerrard could be approached as soon as the question of what finances will be available it will become a non starter. These continued rumours are a useful smokescreen to deflect from the abortion of a season and our board led by King contravening company law.

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

They won’t get away with a kite flying exercise and if they think they can then they are even more clueless than I thought. 

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

If it was deflection then Klopp, Benitez, Hodgson et al would not have been discussing it at their pressers yesterday. It's clear he has been offered the job. Whether he takes it or not is another matter but they are genuinely attempting to get him.

18 minutes ago, gj923 said:

People forget the McInnes debacle where we had paper talk for about 5 weeks before we finally approached him and the Sheep only for him to rebuff us. We have had stories of Gerrard being in glenagles, signing off on deals, and it near enough done and dusted. This seems to have all arisen due to our erstwhile Chairman supporting his team during the week and this has led to dozens of ITK rumours flying around. Whilst I could believe Gerrard could be approached as soon as the question of what finances will be available it will become a non starter. These continued rumours are a useful smokescreen to deflect from the abortion of a season and our board led by King contravening company law.

McInnes took so long because King waited for Caixinha and rest of his team to find a new job. 

I.E come off our payroll, we approached him same day Caixinha was confirmed as Cruz Azul manager.

Thank fuck he knocked us back, McInnes isn’t going to stop 10. Will Gerrard? Doubt it tbh.

Archived