World Cup vs Europa Qualifying

Should Portugal reach the semi-finals of the World Cup, Alves will still be there when Europa League Qualifying begins. 

Assuming he is still on the books, this would have to be a first - and could he play in the Europa game mid-tournament (assuming he hadn't played too much and his legs were up to it) 

It is not an unrealistic scenario - although bizarrely Portugal reaching semi is more likely than Alves being in our team - but it highlights some of the oddities of the football calendar on our journey back to the top. It is a very different scenario from players being given extended time off after a tournament. 

I for one hope it happens, just to see the media reaction. 

Regardless of anyone's opinion on Alves, I think it's pretty shite that if there's a clash of dates such as this, us (being his team and paying his 20k a week salary) come last in this. He's our player first and foremost.

I'd abolish international football tomorrow if I could. 

1 hour ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Not a chance in hell would Alves pick us over the World Cup.

Hopefully he's off the books by then anyway.

I don’t think there’s one player in the world who would pick a 1st round europa league qualifier against probably amateurs over a World Cup semi.

49 minutes ago, GovanFrontSince96 said:

I don’t think there’s one player in the world who would pick a 1st round europa league qualifier against probably amateurs over a World Cup semi.

I know it's easy to say but if I was a professional Rangers and Scotland player, I'd pick Rangers over any Scotland game. 

To be honest, I can’t blame him if he chose Portugal over us. I think for most players from every country they put their country first every time but it’s different with us seeing as how much of a strained relationship with Rangers fans and Scotland there is so I can understand why people would think he should choose us over them, but, I wouldn’t hold anything against him he prioritises them.

1 hour ago, DariuszAdamczuk said:

I’d never begrudge a player playing at a World Cup over joining us play some diddy team in a qualifier 

Portugal wont get out the group anyway so it’s not going to happen 

If they don't he still won't play in 1st round europa league qualifier he'll be away on holiday.

6 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Regardless of anyone's opinion on Alves, I think it's pretty shite that if there's a clash of dates such as this, us (being his team and paying his 20k a week salary) come last in this. He's our player first and foremost.

Haha, you cannae ban the World Cup mate!

6 hours ago, pcbear said:

To get any sort of fee at all for Alves I hope he plays well in all of Portugals games catching the eye of potential employers.

He doesn’t play for them unless injuries and suspensions to the starting centre backs.he’ll be lucky to get any playing time

8 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I have to question how much you really like the sport then. From when I remember I loved Rangers but the World Cup and the Euros have always been a must watch as well. I've not missed many World Cup matches and find it an excellent watch. 

Any football fan I know loves the World Cup. 

9 minutes ago, ready1873 said:

I have to question how much you really like the sport then. From when I remember I loved Rangers but the World Cup and the Euros have always been a must watch as well. I've not missed many World Cup matches and find it an excellent watch. 

Question away I’m not a football fan in general just a Rangers fan 

I like going abroad and seeing all sorts of grounds but the games don’t capture me and I’m lucky If I last Till half time 

hope that answers yer question 

19 minutes ago, ready1873 said:

Not remember South Africa? That was a horrible tournament.