Some perspective...

BillySastard

I think we're ahead of where most people thought we would be by this early stage of the season. There seems to be some real solid foundations to keep building from.

Today was disappointing and the formation didn't work although it was right to try it and many on this forum have been wanting to see it for some time. 

We didn't play well at all but took a point which wouldn't have happened last season or the one before. Are we the finished article? Of course not. Are we heading in the right direction finally? Of course.

Delighted with progress, but hugely disappointed by how it went today.

We have looked comfortable and solid previously, but looked lost today.

Need to see improvement, but you don't really get to just try things out against celtic. It's not the time to not really show up, especially when they are heading backwards.

14 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

It's not that  we've dropped points, it's the fact it's two very similar circumstances, in only 3 games

Spot on, when we lost the goal at pittodrie I called it a minute b4 it happened not because I felt we were riding our luck I just had a feeling it wasn't meant to be....today was different, with 10mins to go I predicted a goal because in truth it was coming and we were riding our luck, we were unable to pick up the 2nd ball which kept pegging us back, we need to learn to be more composed when defending a slender lead.....SG said b4 hand that his team wouldn't be bullied.....I wonder what he felt watching the last 30mins?

2 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I think we're ahead of where most people thought we would be by this early stage of the season. There seems to be some real solid foundations to keep building from.

Today was disappointing and the formation didn't work although it was right to try it and many on this forum have been wanting to see it for some time. 

We didn't play well at all but took a point which wouldn't have happened last season or the one before. Are we the finished article? Of course not. Are we heading in the right direction finally? Of course.

Don’t agree! Today wasn’t the day to try it! At home maybe, not away to a physical team like Motherwell!

6 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

should have tried a new formation against Ayr at home. Not today. League points are too precious to experiment with.

Today proved not to be the day right enough but I still maintain that it was right to try. Trying it at home in a comfortable game Vs Hamilton or something wouldn't give a real indication.

Also today we defended ok apart from Tav losing his man twice. Individual error. 

I hope we revert to a back 4 because Goldson and Katic look solid as a pair.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

should have tried a new formation against Ayr at home. Not today. League points are too precious to experiment with.

Wouldn't prove of it was good or bad against Ayr. We could play any formation and should be comfortable against them.

Of course we're all wise after the event but I don't think many would have been unhappy with the formation before kick off.

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

You are probably right but if it came off then everyone would have been calling him a tactical genius. Gerrard said last week how happy with his players so probably trusted them to make the switch in system no bother.

10 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

Thought the formation was fine. 

We didn’t react to what Motherwell did in the second half and no matter what formation you play if you don’t mark up at set pieces you will concede goals. 

Just now, DW1872 said:

Wouldn't prove of it was good or bad against Ayr. We could play any formation and should be comfortable against them.

Of course we're all wise after the event but I don't think many would have been unhappy with the formation before kick off.

No it wouldn't prove anything - but it would have given it a chance to bed in and players a chance to get to grips with it a little.

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Thought the formation was fine. 

We didn’t react to what Motherwell did in the second half and no matter what formation you play if you don’t mark up at set pieces you will concede goals. 

I agree. We defended ok in the main. Tav lost his man twice at set pieces and we were punished.

2nd half we seemed to invite pressure.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

You are probably right but if it came off then everyone would have been calling him a tactical genius. Gerrard said last week how happy with his players so probably trusted them to make the switch in system no bother.

as another poster said - its hindsight. I was gagging for him to play 3-5-2 for ages - but I wouldn't have done it for the first time in an away fixture - and I would definitely have changed it at half time.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

No it wouldn't prove anything - but it would have given it a chance to bed in and players a chance to get to grips with it a little.

I get that but they would get to grips with it in training as much as against Ayr. 

I'm glad he tried it and wouldn't be against playing it again as it's good to be able to change tactics but I hope we revert to a back 4 for the next two (massive) games.

Just now, DW1872 said:

It's about bedding the players in to the new formation and ironing out the kinks so that they are more prepared against stiffer opposition. 

32 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Wish people would stop going on about being undefeated! You could be undefeated over 10 games and still have dropped 20 points, it’s meaningless if you’re not winning games! 

This, Rangers don’t do draws, domestically we have:

1.Games we win.

2. Games we don’t win.