One More Season In The Championship?

With all that's gone on this season both on and off the pitch, do you think one more season in the Championship and a proper go at rebuilding with youth could be a blessing in disguise, or is it promotion at all costs?

Obviously the other mob add to their tainted trophy cabinet each year and catch up on the 54 but maybe there's a bigger picture at play. If there's an opportunity to build on youth rather than what McCoist did with the old men and scumbags like Black that after the betting affair should never have pulled on the shirt again.

Thoughts chaps?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless we get our act together pronto we might not have a choice.

Sure Dave king and Paul Murray have said promotion isn't vital this year.

But when a bomb threat is made at a train station they don't announce it over the tannoy.

Imo not getting promotion would be catastrophic.

Promotion must happen at the earliest opportunity. Don't just assume if we stay down we'll end up with a good football team. The last three years should be a lesson to us all on how badly we can fuck something up. There's no guarantee we'd even get promoted next season. Playing at a higher level will allow us to sign better quality players and generate more revenue so it's to our benefit.

It would be embarrassing if we remain in this league but I'm not sure we'll get through the play-offs at this rate. We need to hit form / McCall to have a positive influence / other teams to stumble to get us up.

Sad state of affairs!

We won't get promoted this year so best face facts. Stuart McCall has a good eye for a player as proven in his last job, so dump the dross in the summer lowering the wage bill and I'm positive around 4-5 addition mixed with promoting a few youth members will achieve promotion next year. Mccoist and Green started this mess and its a long job to fix it. In some ways we can't affo promotion as we'll need to spend out with our means

With all that's gone on this season both on and off the pitch, do you think one more season in the Championship and a proper go at rebuilding with youth could be a blessing in disguise, or is it promotion at all costs?

Obviously the other mob add to their tainted trophy cabinet each year and catch up on the 54 but maybe there's a bigger picture at play. If there's an opportunity to build on youth rather than what McCoist did with the old men and scumbags like Black that after the betting affair should never have pulled on the shirt again.

Thoughts chaps?

Every top flight trophy that has been won since we were screwed over by Murray/Whyte etc and the rest of Scottish football is tainted that is a fact. Anything next season onwards is fair game though. We should have been romping through all these leagues and back up as champions this season. Regardless of the off field crap McCoist and co have ruined us on the pitch and set us back years - we had a chance to do it right but it's long gone. Excellent training facilities and the second biggest budget in the country and we've gone backwards.

We need promotion this year but if we do make it up I don't think it'll be great next season. We need a massive turn around - unless someone comes in with a quick fix wad of cash we are basically starting again next season once (hopefully) all the dross are moved on.

see if the board came out and said, if we are in the championship next season we will be appointing a coach that has a proven record at developing youngsters and playing decent football to rebuild the club, then i'd take it.

The problem is the shambles that we are on the park, most of them out of contract in a few months and no long term thinking at the club for the last few years leaving us in this state.

I would prefer to be rebuilding in the spl tbh, the bottom half of that league is no better than the top half of the league we are in

but in answer to the question - promotion at all costs because there is no alternative to look at, short term thinking at ibrox has cost us very dearly and it seems set to continue

This really gets to me hearing those bleat they will take another season in this league. It isn't a given right we will get out of it next year as well so its promotion at all costs, regardless of how many defeats we suffer in the top league.

I would also rather that the tims got as little as possible in a row (even though it really doesnt count) but for me if we go up we will win the league the season after next.

I hope we really do get promoted this season and I think we would finish at least 3rd.

I see no benefit of playing in this division for another year and must focus on escape via the playoffs. These are going to be more important than any cup game for us this year.

just don't tell any of the players, you know what happens when it's a big game...

Thoughts chaps?

I honestly couldnt care about how many trophies they win. I've never looked at their results. Why would i? The only time i even give them any thought is on old firm day.

All i care about is the Rangers.

We can't even beat QOS Falkirk or Hibs in the league never mind the playoffs ffs :lol: this shower of shite will never raise their game. We played our best stuff this year at home to Hibs and still got cuffed 2-0. We are down and out. Realistic. I pray I am wrong but Saturday showed the players don't give a toss.

Im not sure.

We're not good enough to do anything in the SPL, we'd end up panic-buying. But at the same time would probably attract better players and more fans into the ground, sponsorships etc.

We could do with a season to prepare under a decent manager, blood some youths, but I dont know what kind of financial bother being in the Championship another year would cost.

I hope we get up, but when we get up I hope the fans can be patient enough with McCall to give him time to actually build a squad without feeling the pressure of having to win the league too early. Id rather we finished mid table for a couple years while building a properly run squad than for us to panic buy to win the league and be left with a bunch of has beens the season after.