***Manager/DOF rumours thread***

Andy.little

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Fits with what I've heard. I wouldn't be too surprised if we made one last pitch for him. He's the one the board want (moreso than any of the managerial candidates) to lead the revamp of the football side of things and they don't seem to be taking no for an answer yet. From what I can gather, it's not anything that we've not offered that's caused Wilson to drag his feet but more him wanting to make sure he does what's right for him, his family and his career. Being a fairly local boy if this goes tits up for him here it will affect more than just his professional life.

He certainly seems torn between what he has and what he could have, how much higher could he go at Southampton?

Come to us and have pretty much free reign to  revamp the football club top to tail, it's a big job, way bigger than anything he has taken on before, he is obviously a career driven guy and I think this will be really hard to knock back.

I don't have a clue about his personal circumstances (kids settled at school, home loving wife etc etc) it will all have a bearing on his decision.

56 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

He did his coaching badges here I'm sure so I don't think saying he has no knowledge of it is right. If we get this guy he'll have my full backing.

I wouldn't say that like you're something quite out the ordinary. We will all give him full backing if he is indeed our new manager, however, this does not mean we cannot be critical of the decision to give him the job over the others being mentioned.

This is something @Bluepeter9 finds extremely hard to comprehend - you can be critical and a fan at the same time. 

No. If we don't get him it doesn't look like it will affect the manager appointment. We asked for recommendations of the types of coach they would want to work with and then the club looked at them on the strength of that and weighed them against the other candidates.

I think people are getting mixed up with knowing Scottish football and knowing what Rangers are all about. 

If we limit to knowing Scottish football we limit ourselves to managers like McInnes, McLeish and Wright. 

There is a difference from that to knowing Rangers. MW didn't and underestimated the whole thing. We need someone who understands winning is everything. Rangers needs standards which are unique in world football. That's what the new manager needs to understand completely otherwise he fails at the very first hurdle. It's knowing when the going gets tough to grind out wins, when were not playing good we still find ways to win 3 points. None of this it's just another game pish, when a point away from home is acceptable, when a 5-1 doing constitutes "nobody died" comments. 

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

I wouldn't say that like you're something quite out the ordinary. We will all give him full backing if he is indeed our new manager, however, this does not mean we cannot be critical of the decision to give him the job over the others being mentioned.

This is something @Bluepeter9 finds extremely hard to comprehend - you can be critical and a fan at the same time. 

Didn't mean it like that mate I don't think I'm anything out of the ordinary with that, what would have been better to say was I'll give him some time but you know there will be a lot of people on here especially who will not just because he isn't a big name manager.

3 minutes ago, pcbear said:

He certainly seems torn between what he has and what he could have, how much higher could he go at Southampton?

Come to us and have pretty much free reign to  revamp the football club top to tail, it's a big job, way bigger than anything he has taken on before, he is obviously a career driven guy and I think this will be really hard to knock back.

I don't have a clue about his personal circumstances (kids settled at school, home loving wife etc etc) it will all have a bearing on his decision.

I don't think it's as much how high can he go there as how low can it go here. He's still relatively unestablished within the game and knows that anything but success here could have huge ramifications for his career. If things at Southampton stop going so well he's not likely to be finished within football but if he comes here and it doesn't go as planned it could really harm his career prospects.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No. If we don't get him it doesn't look like it will affect the manager appointment. We asked for recommendations of the types of coach they would want to work with and then the club looked at them on the strength of that and weighed them against the other candidates.

So is Pedro essentially liked by Wilson and Mitchell then? 

I can't see the board appointing a manager that the DOF doesn't like if Wilson doesn't take it. 

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, RDFM said:

Poch has never won a major honour as a manger so it's not exactly a great comparison.

His work with a Southampton and spurs has been brilliant imo despite not having won a major honour

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I don't think it's as much how high can he go there as how low can it go here. He's still relatively unestablished within the game and knows that anything but success here could have huge ramifications for his career. If things at Southampton stop going so well he's not likely to be finished within football but if he comes here and it doesn't go as planned it could really harm his career prospects.

So lets get this right he's doubting his ability to do the job? Knows he's got a nice number at saints out of the media spotlight and that'll do him nicely.

seems that way

Just now, The Dude said:

I'm not sure about Mitchell but don't believe there's any objection to it.

Ok I see. Well that's a plus point. It means if Wilson doesn't take it then Pedro can still come in and we aren't back to the start looking for a DOF and manager who go hand in hand. 

Just now, KingKirk said:

So lets get this right he's doubting his ability to do the job? Knows he's got a nice number at saints out of the media spotlight and that'll do him nicely.

seems that way

No. He's questioning the risk to his long term career in football if he isn't given the proper tools to work with/is continually bypassed as DoF like Gordon Smith/uprooting his young family to the other end of the country.

With such a fairly short career in the game so far a failure here could be the end of him at the top level. At 34 thats a BIG gamble for him to take.

15 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

His work with a Southampton and spurs has been brilliant imo despite not having won a major honour

Not saying he isn't a good manager but he's still never won a thing.

Different standards etc.

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, badjon said:

Forgive me I am not being rude but how does the Dude know any of this info. Surely all he is doing is putting his own view on the info coming out of the press. If there is more to it forgive me.

Apologies in advance if mistaken.

The Dude is Paul Murray

54 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He is prob not who  we need if he is thinking so far ahead with ifs buts and maybes, Warburton will fall right back into the English scene without missing a beat after making a total balls up of his job near the end.

100% commitment is a given, I think we should move along.

7 minutes ago, badjon said:

Forgive me I am not being rude but how does the Dude know any of this info. Surely all he is doing is putting his own view on the info coming out of the press. If there is more to it forgive me.

I am the press...kinda...sorta. I've got more than a few mutual friends with Wilson and other 'sources'. I'm not one for ITK-type posts unless it's something I'm absolutely confident about and am willing to put my real name to (which I have) and take the professional consequences that would come with getting it spectacularly wrong.

10 minutes ago, badjon said:

I think Dude has certain contacts at the club, mainly due to his reporting on the under 20's, so I do take notice of what he says. :thumbup: