Would you have Lafferty back?  

511 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Lafferty back?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, M0NTY said:

Is he as bad as garner and waghorn ? When shopping in the places we have been and probably have too this window, its more about getting the better duds fs! I know lafferty is nothing special but i reckon he could win a header in midfield unlike the players we have now. 

:lol:

9 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

He cost £3 million, I would hope we could afford that again for a player in the not too distant future. If this club is to have success he is the type of player we should be going for; not Davis personally, but a similar player.

Agreed. We need to start raising the standards bar when building a squad of players, they need to be able to play to a Europa standard. If we aim at that standard then the leagues will take care of themselves.

1 minute ago, Sweetheart said:

Agreed. We need to start raising the standards bar when building a squad of players, they need to be able to play to a Europa standard. If we aim at that standard then the leagues will take care of themselves

I half agree with you, but I think if we consider a future signing, in this case a midfielder, we should be seeking to sign the best in this league. The league won't take care of itself, the league should be the aim for this club, always.

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

He cost £3 million, I would hope we could afford that again for a player in the not too distant future. If this club is to have success he is the type of player we should be going for; not Davis personally, but a similar player.

I hope we sign a 3 million pound player soon but I think the quality of player you could get for 3 million in 2008 would probably cost you closer to 6 or 7 million these days and I'm not convinced we will be spending that much on a player any time soon.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I hope we sign a 3 million pound player soon but I think the quality of player you could get for 3 million in 2008 would probably cost you closer to 6 or 7 million these days and I'm not convinced we will be spending that much on a player any time soon.

That's not entirely the case though, Davis didn't appear to rated that highly by his club at that time; we took him on loan, probably with the understanding if we liked him we could sign him. There are good quality players out there, who are better than most players in this league, who if we spent a reasonable amount of money on would most likely bring success to this club, and maybe even appreciate in value. But they must be better than anyone else already.

10 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I half agree with you, but I think if we consider a future signing, in this case a midfielder, we should be seeking to sign the best in this league. The league won't take care of itself, the league should be the aim for this club, always.

I agree, they need to understand the Scottish game, but we need to look beyond that also otherwise it's a constant rebuild of the squad whilst we climb back to European football. If we raise the standards bar now to a Europa level of player, we'll have time to work on our European game., if we achieve that then the leagues will take care of themselves.  Investment is needed.

Just now, Sweetheart said:

I agree, they need to understand the Scottish game, but we need to look beyond that also otherwise it's a constant rebuild of the squad whilst we climb back to European football. If we raise the standards bar now to a Europa level of player, we have time to work on our European game., if we achieve that the leagues will take care of themselves.  Investment is needed.

We see it differently, whilst seeking the same objective. The league tests the consistency of a team, and a team that does well in the league is more likely to do well in Europe- Walter's second term as manager proved that, Where we agree is that bar on the kind of player we seek has to be very much higher.

29 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We see it differently, whilst seeking the same objective. The league tests the consistency of a team, and a team that does well in the league is more likely to do well in Europe- Walter's second term as manager proved that, Where we agree is that bar on the kind of player we seek has to be very much higher.

Fair point, I think we need a mixture of how Sir Walter did it, with a bit of  Willie Waddell  and Jock Wallace added to the mix.  

Smith was good at the consistency of a team, Waddell had an eye for a 'hall of fame ' type of player who were good enough for European football, and Wallace brought high standards of fitness and character building.

Take him back in a heartbeat.

At the time I thought I wouldn't and wanted his career to go tits up. But he's better than anything we currently have and I don't hold grudges like a wee lassy.

He took pay cuts and was being fucked about by the board. True he left us for shit along with the rest but he had the chance to play at a higher standard for more money. You can't blame him. Obviously us being super staunch and on working class wages would say we would play for nothing as long as it helps the club but a footballer wants to play at the highest for most money

2 minutes ago, Bellshill_Bear said:

Take him back in a heartbeat.

At the time I thought I wouldn't and wanted his career to go tits up. But he's better than anything we currently have and I don't hold grudges like a wee lassy.

He took pay cuts and was being fucked about by the board. True he left us for shit along with the rest but he had the chance to play at a higher standard for more money. You can't blame him. Obviously us being super staunch and on working class wages would say we would play for nothing as long as it helps the club but a footballer wants to play at the highest for most money

Fucking boak inducing, expect better from you?

Not again!!!

No fucking way I want this AIDS ridden, lanky, useless piece of shit back at Ibrox. He made his choice the last time when he was here by doing fuck all, taking a hefty penny from us and then bailing when the going got tough. Fuck that cunt and I hope he does a cruciate 

No No No No No No No No No, This is exactly the wrong direction to go, we should only be looking forward, no more going after old players especially utter donkey's like him, how many times did we moan about him when he was here? turned up once or twice a season.

44 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Fair point, I think we need a mixture of how Sir Walter did it, with a bit of  Willie Waddell  and Jock Wallace added to the mix.  

Smith was good at the consistency of a team, Waddell had an eye for a 'hall of fame ' type of player who were good enough for European football, and Wallace brought high standards of fitness and character building.

Reading about Jock Wallace's time here and knowing about what Walter wanted from his time here, they all wanted the best players for Rangers. We appear at present to have a signing policy of signing players where we over speculate on their potential, but most of them should have to have something about them before they get here.