Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can only see him coming up if he's been promised a war chest by King and Park, mainly Park obviously. No chance he would take a chance by coming here to be given £5.45 and a poke of chips to buy players with. Also it won't be on the premise of a 'sell to buy' policy, players will be sold on the cheap or let go to make way for the new blood. If he had some sense he would be watching that Glasgow Cup Final and promoting a few of them to the first team. We need to buy and buy big or Gerrards' career here will go down like his predecessors. 

9 minutes ago, chris182 said:

If it does happen I’m hoping he’ll have the pick of the talent in Liverpool’s young teams (even on loan). You’ve the feeling that players will want to play for him.

His U18s are 3rd, it's not just about wanting to play for him.

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I was the same and have gradually come round to it, when I read earlier on how he wants to set his team up and changing his tactics for the U18s in Europe depending on who he was playing it made my concerns and fears lessen somewhat and then of course there are the benefits of appointing someone like him and I fully expect a number of talented players from Liverpool getting a go up here with us next season.

I hope they have him at Ibrox at the weekend and parade him and let him just watch the game, meet the squad and give him the space to assess if anyone is worth keeping.

Wits this about the changing the tactics and stuff?

1 minute ago, wearethepeople1 said:

If this does happen 

Could Graeme Souness be asked back in some sort of casual role to help and assist Gerrard in terms of teaching him about the club and how it works up here? 

Is that not why jj was brought here for Pedro? ?

1 minute ago, wearethepeople1 said:

If this does happen 

Could Graeme Souness be asked back in some sort of casual role to help and assist Gerrard in terms of teaching him about the club and how it works up here? 

Graeme hasn't been here for decades, rather this role go to Sir Walter. First port of call is to the local shoe shop for them brown brogues.

Just now, GOAT said:

Wits this about the changing the tactics and stuff?

Aye I know, Gerrard out!

When speaking to BT Sport last April, Gerrard wasn’t shy about revealing the way he wanted his teams to play: “My teams will be physical. Fighting, winning, tackling. Going where it hurts, letting your lungs burns and really digging deep.”

The Liverpool legend acknowledged that to make it at the top level he needed to be “obsessed” and he’s shown an eye for meticulous detail since taking over as the manager of Liverpool’s under-18 side.

In a detailed piece analysing Gerrard’s start to life at the helm, This is Anfieldhighlighted a few tactical tweaks used by the side to showcase his flexibility as a manager.

“One clear example of this (Gerrard’s tactical understanding of the game) came in October’s 4-1 win away to Maribor, fielding high defensive line to counter the Slovenians’ long-ball approach.

And this was again shown in November’s 4-0 triumph at Sevilla, when Liverpool began with a high-intensity pressing game before sitting back and playing on the counter in order to frustrate an emotional opponent.”

These aren’t just one-off changes, either. Gerrard has used a variety of different systems this season. He started the campaign switching between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1 but injuries forced him into using a 3-4-3 shape. It shows he’s not too stubborn to persist with a style if the players he has at his disposal don’t suit it. Many others in his situation just shoehorn players into unfamiliar roles and the team suffer because of it.

Just now, esquire8 said:

Graeme hasn't been here for decades, rather this role go to Sir Walter. First port of call is to the local shoe shop for them brown brogues.

I agree with Walter 

but im thinking more in terms of GS relationship with SG, the Liverpool connection and the similarities of the circumstances in terms of the timing of the job 

8 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

What is this Choo Choo shite all about?

Grown men on FF posting pictures of Thomas the tank engine with Gerrards pic etc, and shouting choo choo! 

The Stevie G 55 Express or some shite!

Nearly 200 pages of it too!

My two year old would be embarrassed by it.

2 hours ago, hammer93 said:

I've just seen a text from someone at work....take out of this what you want but apparently SG has been promised 25-30mill as a transfer budget...the money supposedly coming from north America via AJ....this came from AJ son who I'm led to believe is Jason?

Anyone heard anything similar or is it usual pish from people claiming to be ITK?

I got that in a group chat too. 

Also said in the group chat that both Gerrard and Rogers hate each other and haven't spoke in 3-years. They both blame each other for Liverpool not winning the league that year.

No idea what truth, if any, is in any of that the funds and the relationship with Rogers.

7 minutes ago, wearethepeople1 said:

If this does happen 

Got visions of him being smartly turned out & smacking people around....

PLG, ped, MW and ally all had previous experience as a manager or in ally’s case had sufficient experience as a number 2 under Walter for years and they all fucked it up. 

Especially PLG. He had a great CV as well as funds and preparation. 

I wasn’t convinced otherwise but I’m all for now as it’s within Liverpool best interest to help SG hit the ground running which can only be a good thing for us.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I got that in a group chat too. 

Also said in the group chat that both Gerrard and Rogers hate each other and haven't spoke in 3-years. They both blame each other for Liverpool not winning the league that year.

No idea what truth, if any, is in any of that the funds and the relationship with Rogers.

Also begs the question - if we HAVE the cash, why not give it to a proper manager?

3 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

Grown men on FF posting pictures of Thomas the tank engine with Gerrards pic etc, and shouting choo choo! 

The Stevie G 55 Express or some shite!

Nearly 200 pages of it too!

My two year old would be embarrassed by it.

You would think we'd learnt our lesson with that magic hat pish.

Just now, HG5 said:

Also begs the question - if we HAVE the cash, why not give it to a proper manager?

That's why even if the war chest rumours are true, a bad manager or inexperienced manager can spunk that - a big part of the reason we need a proper, experienced, capable manager is for us to get value from our budget - £25 or £25 million is irrelevent.

Just now, sandyinroyalblue said:

You would think we'd learnt our lesson with that magic hat pish.

Exactly.

we’ve been stung for this in our recent history and people have very short memories.

Sure get excited if you want but stop all this shite patter about 55. Let’s see who we shift out the door and sign before thinking we’re going to be any good.

Also let the guy find his fucking feet before labelling him as a fucking messiah or waster.

Archived