Jamie Murphy

1 minute ago, Blue Rino said:

I really thought Murphy would have been a great addition though as other have said he’s went missing in the bigger games.

I was quietly confident he could solve our problems down the left but he has been a let down.

As usual you got people all excited because he played in the overrated English league.

29 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

He has had a few good games but I expected much more from him. 

I am 50/50 on whether he is one to sign up or not. :unsure:

Pretty much the same as me on this one, keep thinking how would he perform under someone with some fucking knowledge of football?

If he can't learn and perform under Stevie and Gary then you're fucked mate.

I’ve said it previously that our squad’s performances are dependent on confidence. When confidence is low the players aren’t up to it and no one seems able to pull themselves up and  grind out a solid performance.

Murphy has struggled since John has been out as John overlaps and draws the opponents down the wing allowing Murphy to cut inside as he’s an inside forward not a winger.

I do believe with better players in the first team he’ll be better but the question is will he be good enough?

8 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Murphy has struggled since John has been out as John overlaps and draws the opponents down the wing allowing Murphy to cut inside as he’s an inside forward not a winger.

So if we get what a lot of people want and being in a full back who concentrates on defending, then there is no point keeping Murphy?

10 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Pretty much the same as me on this one, keep thinking how would he perform under someone with some fucking knowledge of football?

If he can't learn and perform under Stevie and Gary then you're fucked mate.

It will be interesting to see if he is taken on, they will both have knowledge of him playing down in England I would think. He has showed glimpses of his ability but not as much as I expected. 

Just now, plumbGER said:

So if we get what a lot of people want and being in a full back who concentrates on defending, then there is no point keeping Murphy?

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not :hmmm:

The players we have and our tactics need to be a good match. We’ve seen the problem of shoehorning players into positions they aren’t suited to. It doesn’t work.

If we can afford variety in each position e.g. defensive minded fullback and an attacking wingback type, then that allows us to have one formation where we want overlapping on the flanks and one where we don’t. Murphy suits the overlap but not so much the defensive fullback approach.

We’ve had players in the past that get the ball and simply start running at the defence and take them on regardless of supporting players, for example Weiss, and they are best suited to having a defensive minded fullback in support to pick up the pieces if they lose the ball.

Im tired of us having one formation and one approach as the predictability is used against us and we have no way to specifically counter threats or exploit weaknesses.

Put it this way if Murphy could be signed for 500k then fine but 1m+ I have my doubts.

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not :hmmm:

Not being sarcastic at all mate, lots of people on here berate Tav and John for their poor defending so if we replace them with good defenders who concentrate on that then Murphy would be pretty hopeless given that he is being excused by some because Halliday doesn't offer as much attacking support.

For me that is all it is, an excuse for an underperforming player who people had much too high expectations of because he played in England, i remember the line "he's only been kept out by a 15million pound player" etc etc.

He wasn't good enough for Brighton and hasn't shown he is good enough for Rangers. The fee is rumoured to be as high as 1.8million.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

he should switch to the right far more often. he is very predictable.

Absolutely. One of the most difficult things to defend is a cut back from the bye line. Maybe he would be comfortable crossing at pace on his right side.

I understand the principle of playing guys on the wrong side if cutting in and shooting etc. Or the fullback overlapping but it doesn't seem that effective with our standard of player

9 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Not being sarcastic at all mate, lots of people on here berate Tav and John for their poor defending so if we replace them with good defenders who concentrate on that then Murphy would be pretty hopeless given that he is being excused by some because Halliday doesn't offer as much attacking support.

For me that is all it is, an excuse for an underperforming player who people had much too high expectations of because he played in England, i remember the line "he's only been kept out by a 15million pound player" etc etc.

He wasn't good enough for Brighton and hasn't shown he is good enough for Rangers. The fee is rumoured to be as high as 1.8million.

If that is the figure I dont think he is worth that...surely clean slate and new player in would be better

8 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

For 1.8m I’d be expecting far more in return.

Its all conjecture at the moment and that’s the trouble when you don’t have the money to take gambles you need to be certain players are going to perform.

Loan deals are good in that you get a chance to evaluate players in person and see if they are what you want or not.

So Russell Martin was a loan (thank fuck) and we can see he’s not good enough. Cummings is another who like Murphy people say they have people if we do this and that so again it’s conjecture.

If we sell windass and don’t sign Murphy then we need to get a left winger in and depending on where we look we may well be paying close to 1.8m (Middleton is getting rave reviews for the development side but I don’t think we are in a position to say he’s a first team player yet).

I don’t keep up with up and coming players for other clubs as much as I should so I’ve no idea if we can get better for the same price.