GERRARD, THE NEXT 3 SEASONS - What would you take?

Win the league, how anything less than that can be suggested is beyond me. 

How do you motivate a team if you aren’t demanding that they win the league? How will any players ever get it if they don’t know that second is as good as last for us? 

Anything less than the league is a failure and it’s that attitude that’s seen us win it 54 times. 

4 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Where did you get that from?

I'm asking based on the thread title stating what would you take, ie minimum you'd accept.

You agreed fuck accepting them getting 9 in a row. So if we don't win it within 2 years they've won their 9 which isn't acceptable. Isn't the logic to expect someone gone if they've not met what you deem acceptable?

Let's be honest, he has to win the league this season or next.

I'd begrundginly accept 2nd this season if we won the cups and won at least a couple of the OFs. But the season after we'd have to win it. None of this 3 year pish

Beat them 5-1 at least once and not losing to them 5-1 ever again, win the league obviously....... preferably more than once in the three years.........qualify for a European group stage......and at least two domestic cups.  I'll take that. 

58 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

Win the league, how anything less than that can be suggested is beyond me. 

How do you motivate a team if you aren’t demanding that they win the league? How will any players ever get it if they don’t know that second is as good as last for us? 

Anything less than the league is a failure and it’s that attitude that’s seen us win it 54 times. 

Not what I'm asking. Of course Gerrard and GM should be telling the team win EVERY game and beat celtic to this league at all costs. And of course we'll all be cheering them on to that end.

What I'm asking is, given the gulf in player quality and finances, what would you realistically accept as progress for us over the next three years.

5 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Realistically if he doesn't push them all the way next season and win a cup then he's gone.

If we're well behind by Christmas he'll be gone before the end of January.

Exactly.  Talk of giving him three years is fucking nonsense.  Our support will not sit by and watch celtic win 9-IN-A-ROW while happily keeping Gerrard in charge hoping he can stop a 10th.  Gerrard needs to push celtic all the way in the title race immediately and we need to be far more competitive during the Old Firm encounters.  If we get to Christmas and are out of the league race, have been beaten by celtic a couple of times, and been knocked out of Europe early, the support will have turned against him and there will be calls for him to be canned.

Under McCoist it was "we don't do walking away".  Under Warburton it was "send the fans home happy".  Now Gerrard has given us "bring it on" and "let's go".  All soundbites that don't mean a fucking thing if they can't get results on the pitch.  

Is Gerrard the first manager in our history where he is realistically not expected to win the title?  Regardless of where we finished last season surely that should have been a prerequisite of him taking the job?  I know it's not always possible nor work out that way  but it's disheartening reading guys happily accepting 2nd before a ball has even been kicked.  

As another poster sort out the atrocious home form and keep up the away form and we will win the title next season bar miracles so if we can strengthen the squad we have then, for me, the title is a very realistic target.  

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm asking based on the thread title stating what would you take, ie minimum you'd accept.

You agreed fuck accepting them getting 9 in a row. So if we don't win it within 2 years they've won their 9 which isn't acceptable. Isn't the logic to expect someone gone if they've not met what you deem acceptable?

If he is backed financially and doesn't manage it after 2 shots then I'd seriously revaluate the situation.  That would depend how close we got points wise and wether he'd won us cups. 

Hopefully won't come to that though as the filth are nowhere near as good as they think they are. 

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

Exactly.  Talk of giving him three years is fucking nonsense.  Our support will not sit by and watch celtic win 9-IN-A-ROW while happily keeping Gerrard in charge hoping he can stop a 10th.  Gerrard needs to push celtic all the way in the title race immediately and we need to be far more competitive during the Old Firm encounters.  If we get to Christmas and are out of the league race, have been beaten by celtic a couple of times, and been knocked out of Europe early, the support will have turned against him and there will be calls for him to be canned.

Under McCoist it was "we don't do walking away".  Under Warburton it was "send the fans home happy".  Now Gerrard has given us "bring it on" and "let's go".  All soundbites that don't mean a fucking thing if they can't get results on the pitch.  

If Gerrard is obviously floundering by Xmas and we are directionless on the pitch then agreed, it hasn't worked and he must go asap.

However, if Gerrard can run them close in the coming season and then again next season (taking points off them along the way) and we can see the backbone of a strong team developing that is recognisably Rangers....would you rather bin him off and bring in some cunt like McInnes to try to stop 10?

To win the league within the next three seasons represents success. I don't like it either, but it's reality.

5 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Realistically if he doesn't push them all the way next season and win a cup then he's gone.

If we're well behind by Christmas he'll be gone before the end of January.

exactly this.

"Lets Go" as a rallying cry will become his last words to the taxi taking him away from Ibrox to the airport if he loses a few games early on.

7 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Is Gerrard the first manager in our history where he is realistically not expected to win the title?  Regardless of where we finished last season surely that should have been a prerequisite of him taking the job?  I know it's not always possible nor work out that way  but it's disheartening reading guys happily accepting 2nd before a ball has even been kicked.  

As another poster sort out the atrocious home form and keep up the away form and we will win the title next season bar miracles so if we can strengthen the squad we have then, for me, the title is a very realistic target.  

Realistically he probably shouldn't be expected to win the title next season, but he is.

As usual our support will be happy with everything until the first couple of bad results happen and then he'll start being pushed towards the door. Its how its always been and always will be 

From the off , I want to see a visible pattern of play that we can build on through the season . No more hoofing the ball up the park , no more desperate defending where kicking the ball anywhere will do . Instead , a fluent thought out system of play , that will improve as players get to know , both each other and SG's style of play . I'd like to see what money we have , spent on a few quality players in key positions , rather than spreading it over a major overhaul . That way we can have a nucleus of quality players , that we can add to as time passes by . 

No more embarrassing defeats , make Ibrox a fortress bringing back the fear factor to opponents , making a real game of it against the tarriers in every game should be a given . 

By the end of season 1 , we should at least be challenging for the league till the last game or two and hopefully a cup . The following season , with more quality added , and SG fully understanding the Scottish game , I'd expect to go the full hog and the League title . 

14 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

If Gerrard is obviously floundering by Xmas and we are directionless on the pitch then agreed, it hasn't worked and he must go asap.

However, if Gerrard can run them close in the coming season and then again next season (taking points off them along the way) and we can see the backbone of a strong team developing that is recognisably Rangers....would you rather bin him off and bring in some cunt like McInnes to try to stop 10?

To win the league within the next three seasons represents success. I don't like it either, but it's reality.

If Gerrard runs them close next season and there's obvious signs of improvement I think the fans would back him to stop the 9.  If we're well adrift in the league (10 points or more) and are consistently losing to celtic I don't think he'll be here very long.  There is a huge gulf on and off the pitch but we expect Gerrard to overcome this and win the league.  The expectations are massive, the job is extremely difficult, Gerrard said he took the job confident he could meet the demands.  I honestly have no idea what to expect from the upcoming season or where we'll be next summer.  I think Gerrard will be a stroke of genius by the board, or a fucking disaster resulting in the board getting chased, I don't think there will be any middle ground.  

All we need is a competent manager in charge.  Someone who has an eye for a player and who can properly organise a side to get results.  Hopefully Gerrard can do that for us but having never managed before we just don't know what we're getting.  

4 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

.. and you? - are prepared to give him that time? Astounding. Good man! 

I hope he wins every game and if he fails in the league folk will howling for his removal. 

Tut tut Bp9 , not like you at all :lol: 

a cup and a close second and no pathetic defeats to the taigs, i dont expect us to win all 4 but at least the home games and  to show some fight in the others, and no silly defeats to teams like killie and hamilton especially at home

i think thats a realistic expectation this season

Give us a team to be proud of this season, and if we don't win the league (in all likelihood) knocking them out of one of the cups has to happen. Don't even have to win, just stop the prospect of treble treble. Sad, but that's where we're at.

Second season a serious, genuine title challenge and effort to stop the 9.