Travelling to Skopje thread

BEE

5 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

Sorry about that, I thought that Alexander was Macedonian, however going by your avatar you are probably much more knowledgeable than I on the subject. 

I stand corrected, thank you.

Lol, yeah I'm passionate about all things Greece (except Aris fans now) . He was mate. But the Greek region of Macedonia is actually the real ancient kingdom of Macedonia. He was born and ruled from Pella which is in Greece. 

The modern country of Macedonia corresponds more to Paeonia from Alexander's time, which was the territory of a subject tribe. This is why the Greeks are a bit annoyed by the state of Macedonia calling themselves that, because there's no real historical basis for them to do so and people then also start making the understandable assumption that Alexander was from the modern state of Macedonia and such like.

The modern 'Macedonians' have done some job of cultural appropriation of the Macedonian identity from the bonafide Macedonians in northern Greece. I mean, they have a statue of Alexander, who was born and grew up in Pella, in Skopje. They've called the stadium we played in after his dad Phillip. Phillip was born, ruled, died and is buried in Pella/Vergina (which is near Pella) - astonishing tomb and grave contents btw, well worth a visit. 

Bottom line is modern Macedonia isn't Macedonia. 

And breathe...

? Folk defending those wankers. Scumbags first and foremost, enemies of the club by their actions second. 

Pickpockets or not, only a horrible little bastard would think about using that kind of language, never mind towards a wain.

Embarrassing.

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

? Folk defending those wankers. Scumbags first and foremost, enemies of the club by their actions second. 

Pickpockets or not, only a horrible little bastard would think about using that kind of language, never mind towards a wain.

Embarrassing.

Been to plenty of places where I’ve been bothered by kids begging, including a Rangers away trip. You just ignore them, or tell them to fuck off. The idea of filming myself racially abusing them, putting a white power slogan across the video, then uploading the video to social media, never occurred to me, strangely.

1 minute ago, Ger_onimo said:

Been to plenty of places where I’ve been bothered by kids begging, including a Rangers away trip. You just ignore them, or tell them to fuck off. The idea of filming myself racially abusing them, putting a white power slogan across the video, then uploading the video to social media, never occurred to me, strangely.

I know.

As if we don't get enough bother with folk thinking the Rangers support is full of far right, racist, bigoted nutjobs.

Ignorant wee ned fannies like this care fuck all for anyone but themselves, otherwise they wouldn't take a dirty great steaming shite all over the club's name.

Just now, Captain Hilts said:

Seen a couple of Twitter arseholes doing it. If there's one group of people we don't have to justify ourselves to it's they cunts. 

Ah, ok. Fair enough.

45 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Lol, yeah I'm passionate about all things Greece (except Aris fans now) . He was mate. But the Greek region of Macedonia is actually the real ancient kingdom of Macedonia. He was born and ruled from Pella which is in Greece. 

The modern country of Macedonia corresponds more to Paeonia from Alexander's time, which was the territory of a subject tribe. This is why the Greeks are a bit annoyed by the state of Macedonia calling themselves that, because there's no real historical basis for them to do so and people then also start making the understandable assumption that Alexander was from the modern state of Macedonia and such like.

The modern 'Macedonians' have done some job of cultural appropriation of the Macedonian identity from the bonafide Macedonians in northern Greece. I mean, they have a statue of Alexander, who was born and grew up in Pella, in Skopje. They've called the stadium we played in after his dad Phillip. Phillip was born, ruled and died in Pella and is buried in Macedonua in Greece (astonishing tomb and grave contents, well worth a visit). 

Bottom line is modern Macedonia isn't Macedonia. 

And breathe...

Again many thanks for the info. I have an interest in the ancient World from a military history point of view, that obviously includes the Greeks. No matter where he came from, Alexander is in my opinion the greatest Captain of history.

So why did todays Macedonians call themselves Macedonians if they are not in a historical sense Macedonians? 

Boy has made a cunt of it and is grade 1 fanny for posting it, he was mwi and is probably now severely regretting it, if it was a tarrier we would be all over it crying our disgust, point scoring exercise for a few days until someone on either side makes a cunt of it again, big shrug of the shoulders from me.

18 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

Again many thanks for the info. I have an interest in the ancient World from a military history point of view, that obviously includes the Greeks. No matter where he came from, Alexander is in my opinion the greatest Captain of history.

So why did todays Macedonians call themselves Macedonians if they are not in a historical sense Macedonians? 

They had a choice of calling themselves, Macedonians, or Sevcodonians, so they tossed a coin and that's the history lesson for today, mate!  :))

46 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

It's quite complicated, but basically it seems to have come about through lazy colloquial use by the various empires and states in the region when dividing territories after the various Balkan wars since the early 20th century, and influenced by lazy Ottoman imperial regional boundaries. Terms like Vardar Macedonia were used (relating to the Vardar river and Macedonia) to create regions that didn't really correspond to anything ethnically or historically. This region covered ancient Macedonia, but would also include other areas. In one of these areas the name stuck and became modern Macedonia, even though they're ethnically Slavic in modern Macedonia, rather than ethnically Macedonians as they are in Greek Macedonia. 

And it's developed bizarre quirks like the Macedonians irredentist movement... modern Macedonians that lay claim to a greater Macedonian territory including Greek Macedonia, even though the two are not ethnically related and the Greeks have thousands of years longer history of calling themselves Macedonian.

Modern Macedonians are Slavs that probably originate from migrations from deepest, darkest Russia long before there even was a Russia.

55 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

They had a choice of calling themselves, Macedonians, or Sevcodonians, so they tossed a coin and that's the history lesson for today, mate!  :))

You sir, are a veritable gold mine of historical knowledge.?

49 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's quite complicated, but basically it seems to have come about through lazy colloquial use by the various empires and states in the region when dividing territories after the various Balkan wars since the early 20th century, and influenced by lazy Ottoman imperial regional boundaries. Terms like Vardar Macedonia were used (relating to the Vardar river and Macedonia) to create regions that didn't really correspond to anything ethnically or historically. This region covered ancient Macedonia, but would also include other areas. In one of these areas the name stuck and became modern Macedonia, even though they're ethnically Slavic in modern Macedonia, rather than ethnically Macedonians as they are in Greek Macedonia. 

And it's developed bizarre quirks like the Macedonians irredentist movement... modern Macedonians that lay claim to a greater Macedonian territory including Greek Macedonia, even though the two are not ethnically related and the Greeks have thousands of years longer history of calling themselves Macedonian.

Modern Macedonians are Slavs that probably originate from migrations from deepest, darkest Russia long before there even was a Russia.

You are right, it is quite complicated. ?

12 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

His name, and his RSC has been named on FF

Just had a look on the thread and saw there’s a video of dozens of our fans dancing and singing with those kids. One of them has one on his shoulders. Hope that gets shared far and wide.