The curious case of the N9 shirt

Vision

7 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

ones mans negativity, is another's pragmatism based on experience. 

Agreed, but it's hard to have a group of 50,000 pragmatists - the larger the group the quicker it descends into negativity. 

Not saying players shouldn't be open to criticism by the way, I just think our patience is running thin (rightly so) and it's showing with the amount of time we're allowing for new players to bed in. 

5 hours ago, geronimoo said:

I watched a YouTube video of him and the impression I got was he is just a taller and thinner version of Morelos. Not bad off the ball but can't put the ball in the net.

I agree. Only watched one highlights compilation but he seemed to mainly hit to ball past the post or get tackled! I don't think his goalscoring record is prolific but there is a reason why we are loaning him and not paying 5m + for his services. Hopefully he'll do us a turn. 

I think part of the issue is not just that Morelos' finishing has been poor but Gerrard doesn't seem to know the best way to set us up in the final 3rd yet ie one or two upfront, one up with a deep lying forward or more use of wingers etc. I think until everyone is available and fitter it won't be entirely clear. I also think we'll mix it up more from what he's said. 

2 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Personally I think negativity breeds negativity, it's one of the problems we have on the terraces, everyone seems glass half empty and their fuse is short, doesn't take much for (often) unwarranted explosions of criticism towards new signings.

I guess I understand why and you're point is probably accurate. I just wish we took a more optimistic approach, collectively has the power to lift spirits and players confidence. 

Tend to find thats the same people who were stupidly over optimistic to start with, same as the match threads, the  ones who predict 5 -0 routs are the same ones moaning like fuck during the games.

1 hour ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Tend to find thats the same people who were stupidly over optimistic to start with, same as the match threads, the  ones who predict 5 -0 routs are the same ones moaning like fuck during the games.

Probably right, but I’m not saying people should be saying our new signings are all world beaters already, I’d just like to see a little more positivity. No extremes at either end of the spectrum, just a little more optimism. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Probably right, but I’m not saying people should be saying our new signings are all world beaters already, I’d just like to see a little more positivity. No extremes at either end of the spectrum, just a little more optimism. 

Maybe folk could watch more than two preseason games before writing them off completely too? 

Gerrard was ‘clueless’ during and in the immediate aftermath of last weeks qualification. 

RM is a disgrace at times. 

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Maybe folk could watch more than two preseason games before writing them off completely too? 

Gerrard was ‘clueless’ during and in the immediate aftermath of last weeks qualification. 

RM is a disgrace at times. 

That’s what I’m saying! Few posts up I mentioned it, people’s fuse is so short at the moment and we seem quicker than ever to throw our toys out the pram. 

4 hours ago, cushynumber said:

given our recent loan history I think the presumption of shite until proven otherwise is a reasonable stance to take.

Not even just our loans mate, I'm that fed up off false dawns and let downs in everything connected to our club. I try my hardest to be positive but nowadays I can seem to not be a pessimist.

On 23/07/2018 at 17:09, Leeds_Bear said:

Even if people have heard of them they're shite, there will always be a reason someone is shite on this forum.

It's the safer option to say someone is shite and be proved wrong because no one really gives a fuck who said what if a player has banged in 35 goals in a season.

If they turn out to be shite it's a big fat dollop of I told you so. 

Is it not more a case of: pretty much every single player we’ve signed in the last 6 years has been shite. Our transfer policy during that period has been mainly signing loans and frees. That policy is continuing, therefore it is rational, reasonable, logical and sane to assume that our signings will be shite, until they give us reason to think otherwise.

1 hour ago, Ger_onimo said:

Is it not more a case of: pretty much every single player we’ve signed in the last 6 years has been shite. Our transfer policy during that period has been mainly signing loans and frees. That policy is continuing, therefore it is rational, reasonable, logical and sane to assume that our signings will be shite, until they give us reason to think otherwise.

Completely missing the point.

On 23/07/2018 at 12:35, The No.9 said:

True it’s only really top level players that still keep to the traditional it best player numbers like 10 now adays 

Still feel as though we’ve had too many players with numbers in double figures in recent times - looks as if you’re playing 2nd pick players.

A dozen regulars last term had numbers in the mid-teens, 20’s & 30’s.