In Gerrard I Trust

2 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Nope, my logic is if you beat livi, well, Dundee, Killie , hibs, sheep,st Johnstone we will win the league irrespective of the tims results , that's more than 13 points in they games alone , we would be top of the league,and with the money difference we have against these clubs(same as the tims have against us) we should be beating them.  Is it really to much to ask to beat glorified pub teams with peanuts to spend?

Glorified pub teams I think is a bit harsh.  

These teams mantra is to survive, maximise every asset they have & pick up as many points as possible which tbf they are pretty good at.  

SG & his staff need to do something similar with our squad, as well as develop a strategy/style to break down the weekly problem of how to break these teams down.  

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

This.

Folk go on about what did you expect....well a cup final at the very least and a title challenge to go past March. We spent the money to be easily able to do that. It’s been a shambolic season domestically, just look at the table and points dropped. Out all the cups and not one of them did we play them, that’s says it all.

Gerrard may well be the man but this season he simply hasn’t shown that’s the case. If he doesn’t do FAR better then he will be on his arse this time next year.

He has to win something next season. If he finishes empty handed again then yes he needs to go. No Rangers manager could be expected to survive two straight seasons without success.

Summer window will be vital for him. With this season under his belt he'll surely have a better understanding of what he needs to be successful here. 

32 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

When it went to 1 each , then when it got to 85 mins ,I said this is when they bastards usually score, and they duly obliged, I've seen it for the last 40 years of going to the piggery. What's that got to do with the points I've made in this thread?

I think it demonstrates fine margins, story of the season.  Going to the piggery, holding on with 10 men to the extent we then get an equaliser and as we agree on the ascendancy isn't to be trivialised. Its worthy of note. To then fuck up due to individual errors and leave with no points is the bottom line, but as I say fine margins.

1 domestic game this season weve been beaten by more than a goal. We've not been pumped, its individual errors, seeing players red carded, and a lack of creativity costing us. Gerrard has stated he tried to address the creativity issue in January but couldn't. He's also trying to sort out the individual errors, but without strength in squad to drop players theres only so much a manager can do. He's gambled on backing Morelos, and been let down which hes now got to sort, theres no squad indiscipline issue as such.

I'd be more concerned if he couldn't see the problems, he can, he now needs transfer windows and finance to resolve them.  Small changes, ie several key signings will go a long way to addressing them. As I say, fine margins, and they need to start being in our favour.

But given the scale of the job, the relatively short time hes been here, and the fact we're now going to the beggars and making them shit it whilst being a break of the ball from beating them, most folk being objective would see theres good in amongst some of the poor results.

Next season fine margins need to equate to 3 points and silverware. But ffs look at the true big picture from where we were, how much needed done, and how far we are. Progress is being made, not enough, but the foundations are there.

32 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Nope, my logic is if you beat livi, well, Dundee, Killie , hibs, sheep,st Johnstone we will win the league irrespective of the tims results , that's more than 13 points in they games alone , we would be top of the league,and with the money difference we have against these clubs(same as the tims have against us) we should be beating them.  Is it really to much to ask to beat glorified pub teams with peanuts to spend?

Nope it’s not and we should be beating those teams, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that us v them is always the main factor.

obviously i want us to beat everyone and win everything and I might be in the minority here but I’d much rather we competed when playing against celtic and dropped silly points against so called diddy teams rather than getting absolutely torn to pieces by them in every game but taking points off Dundee. 

He’ll rightly start next season as manager but if there isn’t a marked improvement then he will be out by Christmas. 

Mark Allen and his team need to improve too because people like Jordan Jones & Greg Stewart aren’t going to take us to where we need to be.

I'm sick fed up, and have been for years with the abuse, blame, and criticism Managers get in football. Not just at my club, but at many others.

Players need to be made far more accountable for their performances.

On the whole, most players get off Scott free with producing pish week after week after week, while the gaffer walks the plank.

Iam all for performance related pay in football. If you don't produce the goods, or make a damn fine effort at producing said goods, then you go home with a much depleted pay packet.

We would see a huge difference within a few weeks, I could guarantee that.

4 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

What were we honestly expecting this year? 

For him to come in and wipe the floor with them, a team who've been together for years, can go out and spend £9m on a single player, and won 7 consecutive trophies? 

He was expected to put a stop to that after two transfer windows? 

Nonsense. 

I’m liking too many of your posts recently, what have I become

4 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

What were we honestly expecting this year? 

For him to come in and wipe the floor with them, a team who've been together for years, can go out and spend £9m on a single player, and won 7 consecutive trophies? 

He was expected to put a stop to that after two transfer windows? 

Nonsense. 

A settled team, full of internationals, higher wage bill and higher transfer spend. Experienced manager, team knowing his tactics inside out. A team used to winning.

We had a complete overhaul, as was necessary, which had to include players who've never played this many top level games over a season.

And yet folk seemingly don't understand or tolerate inconsistency, dips in form, and us not overhauling the scum. Its mental 

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Gerard's remit before the start of the season was to close the gap to at least under double figures and compete in the cups, that is not an opinion as everyone(yourself included) stated that before the season.

He is failed at those goals and the goalposts are now being moved. We MAY close the gap but that will only be due to complacency from the scum going forward.

we may not have closed the points gap, but we have closed the standard gap.  We are not being walked over by them this season.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

The win at Ibrox in December was great but it's ignored how depleted the scum were before and during the game.

You're going to mention that but not mention in the first game you talk about, that we had just played 3 days earlier, in the outskirts of Russia, with 9 men for almost a full half of football.

1 hour ago, gogzy said:

We need to pick a manager and stick with him and I think that's what we have done.  We simply can not be changing our backroom staff and the lions share of our team every season.  It's unsustainable.

Re text I've put in bold...…………..so is not winning any major trophy since 2010/11.   The more that continues the more we increase the risk of putting ourselves into the same permanent also-ran state of the other clubs in this league, albeit we spend more on player transfers, pay better, have a bigger stadium, and vastly bigger support...…..but the end product is the same - not winning trophies.   Even some provincial clubs have won cups since season 2010/11 - and I'm making allowances for our lower league status in some of those years.   The longer lack of success in winning trophies goes on the less sustainable Rangers is financially and it risks becoming a slide into deep mediocrity.   God help them if that became the case up to and including the 150th anniversary season which is now on the near horizon.   

Point is, the focus must surely turn squarely to the Board to find vastly improved financial backing for far better players to be acquired.   If they don't do that then the gamble they take is that operating Rangers as a big club is not sustainable if there are no trophies being won and money generated from the success of winning trophies.       

1 minute ago, Reformation Bear said:

Re text I've put in bold...…………..so is not winning any major trophy since 2010/11.   The more that continues the more we increase the risk of putting ourselves into the same permanent also-ran state of the other clubs in this league, albeit we spend more on player transfers, pay better, have a bigger stadium, and vastly bigger support...…..but the end product is the same - not winning trophies.   Even some provincial clubs have won cups since season 2010/11 - and I'm making allowances for our lower league status in some of those years.   The longer lack of success in winning trophies goes on the less sustainable Rangers is financially and it risks becoming a slide into deep mediocrity.   God help them if that became the case up to and including the 150th anniversary season which is now on the near horizon.   

Point is, the focus must surely turn squarely to the Board to find vastly improved financial backing for far better players to be acquired.   If they don't do that then the gamble they take is that operating Rangers as a big club is not sustainable if there are no trophies being won and money generated from the success of winning trophies.       

We have only really had a chance of winning major trophies for two years since 2011 mate.  Yes that is also unsustainable, but we will never win anything when we are constantly changing the setup.  

Just now, gogzy said:

We have only really had a chance of winning major trophies for two years since 2011 mate.  Yes that is also unsustainable, but we will never win anything when we are constantly changing the setup.  

Opinions of course but I don't agree that we only had a chance of winning major trophies for 2 years since 2011.  

I accept that constantly changing the managerial set up is not likely to produce an instant solution.   There is no manager in the world that I can think of that could step in at Rangers and transform the fortunes into a title winning team unless a mega transfer budget was provided.   Gerrard is safe in the job - safer probably than any manager at any club in the country other than maybe Guardiola and Klopp - because there is no way King and the Board would dare to sack him and then try to find a quality replacement.   The only way that happens if there is an absolute disaster is unfolding in the league campaign by the end of the first half of next season where it might be a case of replace him or face an utterly catastrophic season.  But before that happened I suspect Gerrard himself would have walked.  The only time Gerrard leaves Rangers is when Gerrard himself decides to go.  There are no other options right now.

That doesn't mean to say that if he continues to preside over a side that is not winning trophies that he will not come under increasingly severe pressure to halt that lack of success.  Right now Gerrard is insulated from any risk of being replaced.   We'll see this time next season whether he is still in the same boat or whether we have won a cup or are still in strong contention for the league title and still in the Scottish Cup.   

I'm torn, before a ball was kicked this season I felt progress for us would've been to finish 2nd, finish within single digit points of them and win a trophy, I didn't hold out much hope for Europe so that was a big bonus, we wont win a trophy and finishing within single digit points of the tims doesn't look too likely at the moment and with only a 6pt lead against a team we struggle against regularly and heading into the top 6 where our record is poor it's a bit hard to see too many positives this season, I feel we have improved and you'd hope that Gerrard with a season under his belt will improve too but when you look at the numbers it's hard to debate for the positives.

Gerrard's name value does give us a level of kudos we've lacked since Walter Smith was here though and I believe his influence will get us a better standard of player going forward.

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Almost a full half? Flanagan got sent off with 24 minutes left.

It was also in August, if our players can't cope with long travel and extra work three days before an important game then there is something seriously wrong. Could understand if it was late in the year after a gruelling season but we had only played about 10 games or so. Had it been a case of us competing for 60 minutes and then struggling fitness wise that game, then that would be a valid excuse. But they dominated from the first minute, hit the woodwork 4 times, it was a one sided dominance and the UFA game is used to deflect from this.

Hate?

Feel free to quote posts proving this...what is boring as fuck is fans like you who have have this small club mentality these days. WE ONLY LOST BY ONE GOAL TWICE AGAINST THE SCUM or WE HAVE ONLY BEEN BEATEN ONCE BY MORE THAN ONE GOAL...the standards of my great club have fallen massively.

FYI I posted criticising someone bumping up a thread right after the game yesterday having a go at Gerrard and the progress, surely someone who 'hates' the 'gaffer' wouldn't do that?

Next time don't post if you're going to just spout lies!

Am drunk 

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think it demonstrates fine margins, story of the season.  Going to the piggery, holding on with 10 men to the extent we then get an equaliser and as we agree on the ascendancy isn't to be trivialised. Its worthy of note. To then fuck up due to individual errors and leave with no points is the bottom line, but as I say fine margins.

1 domestic game this season weve been beaten by more than a goal. We've not been pumped, its individual errors, seeing players red carded, and a lack of creativity costing us. Gerrard has stated he tried to address the creativity issue in January but couldn't. He's also trying to sort out the individual errors, but without strength in squad to drop players theres only so much a manager can do. He's gambled on backing Morelos, and been let down which hes now got to sort, theres no squad indiscipline issue as such.

I'd be more concerned if he couldn't see the problems, he can, he now needs transfer windows and finance to resolve them.  Small changes, ie several key signings will go a long way to addressing them. As I say, fine margins, and they need to start being in our favour.

But given the scale of the job, the relatively short time hes been here, and the fact we're now going to the beggars and making them shit it whilst being a break of the ball from beating them, most folk being objective would see theres good in amongst some of the poor results.

Next season fine margins need to equate to 3 points and silverware. But ffs look at the true big picture from where we were, how much needed done, and how far we are. Progress is being made, not enough, but the foundations are there.

Agreed!

And me and you both were far from happy with his appointment at the time.