Anyone else think Aribo will be our best transfer business ever?

pcbear

On 29/07/2019 at 06:59, Tom0411 said:

Baxter for around £15k

😎😎😎

Baxter cost us £17,500 from Raith in 1960, which was a Scottish record fee at that time; when we sold him 5 years later we got £72,500, which was also a record fee paid to a Scottish club, so that's what you call a brilliant bit of work.

5 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Likewise, borna, so who do you think was the best transfer during that period?

Without even one moment of hesitation, it has to be Slim Jim.

What a player he turned out to be, I can still recall some memories.

Going to games, 9 out of 10 conversations were about Jim Baxter.

We have seen many, but he will always stand out.

6 hours ago, bornabear said:

Without even one moment of hesitation, it has to be Slim Jim.

What a player he turned out to be, I can still recall some memories.

Going to games, 9 out of 10 conversations were about Jim Baxter.

We have seen many, but he will always stand out.

No arguments from me on that one, mate!  To think we probably got five of his 8-9 year prime footballing career and made £55,000 profit on his transfer to Sunderland was outstanding business, which in todays money would be approximately £450,000 profit. It just shows the lunacy of the current transfer fees for even mediocre players who wouldn't be fit to lace his boots, never mind play on the same pitch with Slim Jim.

I reckon a lot of posters haven't really read the question. 

The OP suggests he could be the best BUSINESS we have ever done. 

Now I don't think he means best player. There will be hundreds of better players to play for us. But in today's era post bosman and post TV cash for the big leagues. It is possible that Aribo could be the best business we have done. But that also goes for a few others we have playing at the moment. Kamara, Morelos, Katic and maybe even Barasic could all go on and make us a huge profit if and when they move on. 

Don’t think he’s gonny hurt teams very often , had my gutful of midfielders that do something positive twice a season if we’re lucky  ,in years gone by we had midfielders that hurt teams twice a half , the player Gerrard was I don’t know how he’s not frustrated as fuck at our midfield having no attempted whatsoever to trying something positive , it keeps happening though so he’s obviously happy with their displays 

2 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Don’t think he’s gonny hurt teams very often , had my gutful of midfielders that do something positive twice a season if we’re lucky  ,in years gone by we had midfielders that hurt teams twice a half , the player Gerrard was I don’t know how he’s not frustrated as fuck at our midfield having no attempted whatsoever to trying something positive , it keeps happening though so he’s obviously happy with their displays 

Jesus wept. I would hate to hear your opinion on other players if you don't think Aribo is good enough.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Jesus wept. I would hate to hear your opinion on other players if you don't think Aribo is good enough.

I’m old school mate , my Rangers midfielder dominates the game and creates , and gets 15 plus goals a season , I’ll wait and see but doesn’t look that type to me so far , the type we’ve all said we’re in desperate need of 

Not commenting on him being the best buy, that is probably not the case.

What I do think is he is a good footballer and he is good at winning the ball back from opponents if he loses it or just chasing down a player and winning it back.

I hope we will see even more good play from this young lad as the season goes on.

On 30/07/2019 at 08:56, Ozblue said:

Baxter cost us £17,500 from Raith in 1960, which was a Scottish record fee at that time; when we sold him 5 years later we got £72,500, which was also a record fee paid to a Scottish club, so that's what you call a brilliant bit of work.

Baxter was brilliant, that's what made the numbers sing.

30 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Knee jerk reaction mate. 

Its the worst of the traits of people born in the North of Britain 

There are also plenty who you can imagine sitting praying for a poor performance so they can vent their spleen. 

Truth is Aribo didn't have the greatest of games, Even Pele and Maradona had average and poor games too, part of being human and also why not every favourite at anything doesn't always win 

9 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Knee jerk reaction mate. 

Its the worst of the traits of people born in the North of Britain 

There are also plenty who you can imagine sitting praying for a poor performance so they can vent their spleen. 

Truth is Aribo didn't have the greatest of games, Even Pele and Maradona had average and poor games too, part of being human and also why not every favourite at anything doesn't always win 

Unfortunately my initial take on a player is usually correct , there’s another 7 plus pager slaughtering a lad I said on here was shite last September when he was being compared to Maldini , oh I called Middleton right to , Aribo looks nice enough on the ball just don’t think he’s gonny hurt teams the way we’ve been crying out for , hopefully for once I’m wrong 

2 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Unfortunately my initial take on a player is usually correct , there’s another 7 plus pager slaughtering a lad I said on here was shite last September when he was being compared to Maldini , oh I called Middleton right to , Aribo looks nice enough on the ball just don’t think he’s gonny hurt teams the way we’ve been crying out for , hopefully for once I’m wrong 

Ok Sir Alex.

8 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

If Aribo was a 9 out of 10 every week he wouldn't have been at Charlton and he certainly wouldn't be with us he would be at Man City earning 250k a week. 

At the financial level we can compete these days all we are ever going to get is players that can hit 9 out of 10 4 or 5 times every 10 matches at a push and he will have one or 2 games where these guys are below par. 

Even mid 90s when we were breaking the British transfer record and attracting players at a level we can only dream of now these players were never amazing every week either. 

Through no fault of our own we have been left behind finance wise and we need to get used to the fact that we will always have a squad that is below what we have almost always had in the last 146 years. 

Its a shite state of affairs but its something we need to get used to. 

7 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

If Aribo was a 9 out of 10 every week he wouldn't have been at Charlton and he certainly wouldn't be with us he would be at Man City earning 250k a week. 

At the financial level we can compete these days all we are ever going to get is players that can hit 9 out of 10 4 or 5 times every 10 matches at a push and he will have one or 2 games where these guys are below par. 

Even mid 90s when we were breaking the British transfer record and attracting players at a level we can only dream of now these players were never amazing every week either. 

Through no fault of our own we have been left behind finance wise and we need to get used to the fact that we will always have a squad that is below what we have almost always had in the last 146 years. 

Its a shite state of affairs but its something we need to get used to. 

Agreed , you’ve more or less agreed with me to , he’s more positive than jack and Kamara but won’t be a match winner , 7 million was being branded about if it wasn’t for the cross border loop hole , im looking for a 7 million pound centre midfielder to run the spl for us , that player will still be Davis which was blatant tonight , huge miss