Legia - Rangers rival in Europa League play-off

polishranger

25 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Never get into a vodka drinking session with a group of Poles though, because when you scull it down, your glass is immediately filled again. 

That sounds terrible mate, thanks for the heads-up.

Bastards.

1 hour ago, theblueoysterbar said:

That sounds terrible mate, thanks for the heads-up.

Bastards.

It's actually not too bad when you get used to it, mate 🤩 Years ago I lost 2 days of my life in a city named Sochachew because I didn't brush up on my Polish customs before I went. I certainly knew what Nazdrowie meant (cheers) when I woke up in Warsaw :cheers:

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

I've actually made an error there, BB. That black vase trophy was presented to us by GKS Katowice when we played them at Ibrox in the 1988-89 season UEFA Cup. It was carved from a solid block of coal from one of the many mines in Katowice. Where I got mixed up was because  GKS Katowice and Górnik Zabrze were bitter rivals back then and of course are from the same urban area of Silesia.

My apologies for that.

No problem mate and thanks for letting me know the story behind the vases I'm always interested in gers related stories from when playing abroad.

3 hours ago, Ozblue said:

If you stick to Belvedere and Żubrówka (Bison grass) you can't go far wrong, BB. Never get into a vodka drinking session with a group of Poles though, because when you scull it down, your glass is immediately filled again. When I lived at Radzyminska in the Praga district in 2017  I went into the little shop next door and picked up a litre bottle of "Vodka" to bring back to Australia. I noticed a red ☠️ on the bottle and a  label that  said: OSTRZEŻENIE- Nie pić nierozcieńczonym: 97% dowód. which basically translated is; Warning- Do not drink undiluted: 97% Proof.:nailbiting:Talk about fucking rocket fuel.

Same mate I don't know what make of vodka we were drinking but they would only sell it in small shot glasses and no wonder it blew your head off it was like rocket fuel also. 

On 15/08/2019 at 09:28, A.T.G said:

Rumour has it they aren’t the team they used to be. A lot saying Migditland are a far stronger team than both Legia and At Athens

That is a big understatement,mate. Legia are nowhere near the team they were from a few seasons ago, due to a lot of conflict in the boardroom regarding finances, losing virtually all their best players due to transfers and retirement, but their biggest problem was they had 4 managers in a season, so players were chopped and changed, star players who had a lot of influence were dropped or let go, then to make things worse, the same thing continued into last season with the manager merry-go-round to the point they have had SIX managers in something like 14 months.

At the moment they have brought back Aleksandar Vuković as interim coach and they are trying to rebuild the side into a cohesive unit.  So far this season their best result (apart from beating Atromitos 2-0 in Greece) was beating Europa FC 3-0 in Warsaw after a 0-0 draw in Gibraltar.  They are confident of beating us, so we will soon see if it's bluster or belief from them.

9 minutes ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

Same mate I don't know what make of vodka we were drinking but they would only sell it in small shot glasses and no wonder it blew your head off it was like rocket fuel also. 

I know where you're coming from, BB 😅 You know when the barman disappears down into the cellar and he comes back with a glass of Vodka that has tattie peelings floating in it that it's stuff that could propel an Apollo rocket to the moon.:nailbiting:

8 hours ago, Darth Bear said:

How mum are Legia shitting themselves? 

They are in for a doing 

Well, they are definately not liking the fact, that have to play against Rangers for group phase. Last two seasons in Europe were disasters, they really need success.

4 minutes ago, polishranger said:

Of course, Rangers is a clear favourite.

There's a fair bit of bravado going on down Łazienki 3 at the moment, but I'll be surprised if they can beat us over the two legs. I can get a ticket but it's for the Zyleta, so I'll just watch it on Rangers TV.

6 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

They were a really good side.  I was at that game as well.  Jim Baxter played and scored our goal.    It was looking reasonably good at that point then Lubanski ran us ragged.   I think Baxter only played 1 more competitive game for us after that.

Yes, Baxter had put on a bit of weight and wasn't at his best by that stage. Waddell had a bit of a clear-cut when he arrived. 

2 minutes ago, polishranger said:

Few facts.

Last good Legia campaign was in season 15/16, when they played at Champions League and managed to finish third above Sporting Lisbon. No player from that team is still in Warsaw (okay, second goalkpeeper, Radoslaw Cierzniak, who still is second goalkeeper). Even chairman changed, from Boguslaw Lesnodorski to Dariusz Mioduski. Lesnodorski was a guy who liked to throw dice, risk a bit, spend more - that is how he made Legia a Champions League team. Mioduski's biggest project is building an academy for Legia. That is something, that is the most important right now. And that is why in summer Legia took only few players from Polish pish poor Ekstraklasa.

Saying so, getting to group phase is an absolute priority. Legia had two disastrous seasons, when they got beat by:

FC Astana, Sheriff Tiraspol, Spartak Trnawa, FC Dudelange.

This year they started with a draw at Gibraltar. Also games with KuPS where absolutely awful. But last round with Atromitos was pretty good. Total domination at home, like 30 shots to one made by Greeks. Score still 0:0, but easily beat Atromitos at their stadium 2:0.

Many Legia fans dont believe that coach Aco Vukovic is good enough for the job. He is a club legend, but he has absolutely no experience, this is his first coaching job. In terms of coaches, Legia was running a circus lately: Sa Pinto for a while, Romeo Jozak for a while, even Dean Klafuric for a while, who before Legia was coaching Croatian Women National Team. Don't ask me to explain how that happened. Chairman Mioduski lost plot few times already.

I believe though that team is slowly getting its grip. It would be more dangerous with a experienced coach, Vukovic never played a game as important as the one that is waiting for him in play-off, but there are good players in the team. Centre midfield looks quite strong: Andre Martins, former Sporting Lisbon player. Cafu, former Ligue 1 player, and Walerian Gvilia from Georgia National team, who is taking all the free kicks, corners and such - he's pretty good at it. You have here three centre midfielders and every each can get the ball upfront, and each one can fight well in defense. Cafu was injured during first Legia games, so when he started playing - like during away game at Atromitos - it was visible how better Legia look.

The biggest summer spending was Arvydas Novikovas, winger bought from Jagiellonia. Ekstraklasa star, but he is a massive dissapointment so far at Legia. Makes too many bad decisions, shoots from weird positions. Luquinhas, left winger, looks pretty good, he really can dribble. Can't finish though.

Finishing is actually the biggest Legia problem. When they played at Champions League, they had two decent strikers Nikolic-Prijovic who could fire at will, that is how they get Legia to scores like 8:4 against BVB. Right now i don't see any good striker at Legia. Young Sandro Kulenovic might have a great future ahead of him, but he is just 19 years old. Was absolutely awful so far, ruined great chances during Atromitos games, wasted penalty during KuPS. He is getting lots of chances because he can be sold for fat bucks. I think he will play against Rangers too just because of that. Strong kid, but he wants to score so much, that he takes shots when he should pass. If he won't play, there is Jaroslaw Niezgoda, actually won Striker of The Year in the season, that got Krzysztof Piatek to Italy. But Niezgoda was injured for a whole year, he is still looking for form. Most people would like to see spaniard Carlitos at 9, but Vukovic doesn't see him there. Carlitos can finish, can shoot from distance, he simply know what football is about, definitely much more threat than Kulenovic. Legia scored just three goals in league so far, just one from action, two from set pieces. They had problems at creating chances, though maybe Cafu back in the team will change it.

Defense is solid, but don't focus on the fact, that Legia haven't lost a goal so far. They lost two at home to Pogon Szczecin, lost one at Korona Kielce. Especially against Pogon their defense looked pish, but i agree, that it looked better lately. In the goal you have Radoslaw Majecki, who is the next Boruc or Fabianski, will be sold for few million pounds soon. Still, young chap, sometimes make mistakes, but definitely a big talent. In defense you got former Polish National Team Players Artur Jedrzejczyk and Igor Lewczuk. Right side - Pawel STolarski, nothing special. Legia bought Serbian National TEam Player Ivan Obradovic on left side, but he is playing in reserves so far, had fitness problem. Maybe he will play against Rangers, without him probably Luis Rocha will play, also nothing special. On flanks definitely there is most space for Rangers.

The fans are absolutely crazy about playing Rangers. They will definitely prepare something special for these games.

You should provide the dossier on the opposition for Gerrard! 

They didn’t easily beat Atromitos at all. 

Before Legia scored Atromitos could’ve had 3. 

I’d be incredibly disappointed if we went out to this team, we don’t deserve to be  in it if nonsense like this put us out over two legs. 

I fully expect us to score over there

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

They didn’t easily beat Atromitos at all. 

Before Legia scored Atromitos could’ve had 3. 

I’d be incredibly disappointed if we went out to this team, we don’t deserve to be  in it if nonsense like this put us out over two legs. 

I fully expect us to score over there

Well, that is how game with Atromitos was seen in Poland. But maybe it was quite easy in a context: Legia had big problems even with Europa FC from Gibraltar, played shit with Finnish KuPS, lost with almost everyone lately, just like other Polish teams (not one during this campaing beat their opponent, champion Piast Gliwice lost with BATE and FC Riga). So for Polish football fans, natural born pessimists, games with Atromitos went suprisingly easily.

6 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Ater beating  Olympiakos Piraeus FC and Rangers FC, they reached the final in bizarre fashion. Both matches against AS Roma ended as 1-1 draws, so the second leg in Chorzów went into extra-time. Both sides scored and AS Roma thought the 2-2 draw gave them the tie on away goals. It was then discovered that the away goals rule only applied to normal time. After another 1-1 draw in a play-off in Strasbourg, Górnik won on the toss of a coin.

Interesting that away goals didn't count double in ET. In 1972 after we beat Sporting Lisbon 3-2 at Ibrox they won in Portugal by the same score. Both teams then scored in ET and the ref put the game to penalties which we lost. It was only after the game that the result was given to us due to the ref not knowing the rules.

14 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Interesting that away goals didn't count double in ET. In 1972 after we beat Sporting Lisbon 3-2 at Ibrox they won in Portugal by the same score. Both teams then scored in ET and the ref put the game to penalties which we lost. It was only after the game that the result was given to us due to the ref not knowing the rules.

That was correct and weirdly enough Manchester City and Górnik Zabrze were part of the catalyst for it, although at the time neither club were aware of it. The season after those clubs played in that epic final they were paired again in the Q/F of the 1970-71 Cup winners Cup; Górnik won 2-0 in Zabrze and City won 2-0 in Manchester, so they had a play-off in Copenhagen which City won 3-1. City then had to play Chelsea in the semi-final which they lost.

The following year the rules were changed again for the away goals count double, which of course led to the confusion in Lisbon.