Morelos

Swagger

9 hours ago, HG5 said:

It was as good, accurate bit of play, but no more than we should expect, surely?

Morelos done that absolute basics you would expect from any player at any club for this goal which was basically receive it, shield it and pass it.

We can go even go a pass backwards and give Kent some credit while we’re at it as he started running with the ball and threaded it to Morelos through two RC players and kept his run going pulling defenders with him and arguably doing a lot more than Morelos for the goal. 

Posters on here don’t like us criticising him but I think with most of us is that we know he can give a whole lot more but isnt, even in this ‘new’ role.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Raligt said:

Hes still playing well. Think our fans just love something to moan about

See its in your opinion he's playing well and that's why folk are in your opinion moaning. Some don't see it that he's playing well (effort he is giving) and as such are critical. I think other than effort hes contributing little, certainly in an attacking sense, and that's why folk are having to talk about dragging players out of position as crucial contributions to his game which folk wouldn't really do if it wasn't a favourite in Morelos. 

15 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The pics below show there was more space around Morelos when Kent played a simple ball to him. He held it up, moved a few yards left, and played it back to Davis. At the point Davis received it he'd less space to pass it into than Kent had had. It was no opening up of space by a cunning dragging of a player away.. It needed an eye of needle pass to succeed and he delivered. Morelos didn't create space though he did have a defender follow him. Tav benefitted by the player near him (no43) ball watching.  Look at Roofes positioning, he's on his toes and seeing the gap between 2 defenders. 

Morelos played a part, but it was as much as Kent tbh. The 3 critical components involved Davis, Tav and Roofe.

20201207_090831.jpg

20201207_090846.jpg

20201207_090923.jpg

The guy tracking Morelos is their left centre back of the 3. If Morelos is in line with Kent/Roofe then davis can’t play that pass. 

It was a great team goal and what we’ve been crying out for rather than the previous couple of season where we’ve gone side to side trying to break down a packed defence 

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

Morelos done that absolute basics you would expect from any player at any club for this goal which was basically receive it, shield it and pass it.

We can go even go a pass backwards and give Kent some credit while we’re at it as he started running with the ball and threaded it to Morelos through two RC players and kept his run going pulling defenders with him and arguably doing a lot more than Morelos for the goal. 

Posters on here don’t like us criticising him but I think with most of us is that we know he can give a whole lot more but isnt, even in this ‘new’ role.

Davis passed a simple ball to Goldson who threaded it through to Tav for their OG. No one talks about Davis contribution, rightly so. But Morelos is to get praised for equally as much a role in our 1st, oh and his contribution in standing near a player at their OG.

It really is a case of scratching to find positives because its Morelos than being consistent and criticising where due or praising for key contributions in goals.

I prefer the Morelos of this season where he's not scoring as much, but playing better as a team player and the goals are more spread about, with much more fluidity running through our team.

Goals are great, but they aren't everything.

Kris Boyd in his prime used to do my nut at times. His goals were great, but I enjoyed the likes of Cousin, Naismith and Miller playing in a lot of the games instead because we'd play better and create more all round.

4 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

The guy tracking Morelos is their left centre back of the 3. If Morelos is in line with Kent/Roofe then davis can’t play that pass. 

It was a great team goal and what we’ve been crying out for rather than the previous couple of season where we’ve gone side to side trying to break down a packed defence 

Morelos is being praised on here for creating space, he didnt. He collected and passed, Kent actually filled the space. A belter of a pass, and their 43 sleeping allowing Tav the march on him then his cross and Roofe busting a gut were critical. 

Yes its a great team goal but Morelos input was to receive, hold for 3 secs then pass. Little more.

first goal

Hold up play and lay off to Davis

second 

deflected shot landed at Kent for the ball in

Third

His marker tried to clear knowing Morelos was in acres of space and a tap in

Team player right there. 

he’s started just about every game and our GD is +45 without him scoring regularly 

Tells me enough tbh. 

10 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Morelos is being praised on here for creating space, he didnt. He collected and passed, Kent actually filled the space. A belter of a pass, and their 43 sleeping allowing Tav the march on him then his cross and Roofe busting a gut were critical. 

Yes its a great team goal but Morelos input was to receive, hold for 3 secs then pass. Little more.

There's a difference between creating space and filling it. The point is that Morelos drew one defender right out, and kept two others hovering around him which allowed Tav to run in behind and allowed Davis to thread the ball through.

Kent might have filled the space where Morelos had been, but by then the entire defensive shape had changed. Watch it again.  

12 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

See its in your opinion he's playing well and that's why folk are in your opinion moaning. Some don't see it that he's playing well (effort he is giving) and as such are critical. I think other than effort hes contributing little, certainly in an attacking sense, and that's why folk are having to talk about dragging players out of position as crucial contributions to his game which folk wouldn't really do if it wasn't a favourite in Morelos. 

Clearly in Gerrard's opinion he's playing well, and to team instruction, otherwise he would be replaced in that role by the likes of Itten or Defoe. It seems very clear from the selection policy that Alfie is first choice in all of the key games and is generally taken off around about the same time as Kent to protect him and keep him fresh.

For me the front three with Roofe and Kent alongside is a million miles better than last season, and it's leading to more goals scored, and probably also contributes to fewer goals conceded as we don't seem to lose the ball in breakaway situations as much as we did previously - maybe because of the deeper role Morelos plays.

Would never have thought this would have been the way to play him but I think it works and the results tend to bear that out.

Anyway, it's all opinions and good to be debating whether a change of personnel would lead to four goals a game or five - I'm sure the wee tinks chasing buses down the Gallowgate would love to be in the same position this morning!!  :lol:

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

There's a difference between creating space and filling it. The point is that Morelos drew one defender right out, and kept two others hovering around him which allowed Tav to run in behind and allowed Davis to thread the ball through.

Kent might have filled the space where Morelos had been, but by then the entire defensive shape had changed. Watch it again.  

I've watched it plenty. I agree their structure had changed as a defender was with Morelos, but thats it. He didnt create space. He also moved only 3 or 4 yards, he didnt create space. 

Their no43 was more instrumental in the goal than Morelos, he had the run on Tav, but in the split second of going to Davis then realising Tav was on his way hed fucked it. I also see Roofe reading whats going on and getting the lead on 2 players nearest him.

There was less space, more of their players in the box but Davis Tav and Roofe showed amazing quality. Morelos did a basic function fine. Watch it all again 👍

13 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

Clearly in Gerrard's opinion he's playing well, and to team instruction, otherwise he would be replaced in that role by the likes of Itten or Defoe. It seems very clear from the selection policy that Alfie is first choice in all of the key games and is generally taken off around about the same time as Kent to protect him and keep him fresh.

For me the front three with Roofe and Kent alongside is a million miles better than last season, and it's leading to more goals scored, and probably also contributes to fewer goals conceded as we don't seem to lose the ball in breakaway situations as much as we did previously - maybe because of the deeper role Morelos plays.

Would never have thought this would have been the way to play him but I think it works and the results tend to bear that out.

Anyway, it's all opinions and good to be debating whether a change of personnel would lead to four goals a game or five - I'm sure the wee tinks chasing buses down the Gallowgate would love to be in the same position this morning!!  :lol:

I'm not sure who would do better than Morelos and I'm not wanting him dropped (though would like to see Itten get some more opportunities ). But that's not the same as thinking he's playing well which i don't think he is.

Put it a different way. If his only time with us had been since August what value would you put on his head? If you're honest it won't be particularly high, which suggests he's appreciated for what he has done and is capable of rather than what he's doing. Imho.

15 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Yes due to Kent continuing his run 

38 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

My thoughts exactly, mate👍

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

Yes due to Kent continuing his run 

I don't think anyone disputes it was a team goal and others contributed as much or more than Morelos. It's just simply not true to say he didn't create space. 

5 minutes ago, Raligt said:

He was unlucky yesterday and had a couple of chanes which the defender blocked. Especially the first one that was a great stop by the defender.

You’re right, but I feel the Alfredo we saw the last couple of seasons would have put ball, defender & keeper into the net.

6 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I don't think anyone disputes it was a team goal and others contributed as much or more than Morelos. It's just simply not true to say he didn't create space. 

He moved maybe 3 or 4 yards. The defender stayed with him, others moved into the space.

I've posted the pics showing him receiving, where he and others are at the time of him passing, and as Davis is passing the crucial pass. There's less space than when he received it, he didnt create space, he just retained and passed it and they had a midfielder rather than defender in the box who ran with Kent.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It wasn't a quick back pass. The space when he collected was actually less for Davis to play the ball into than when Morelos received it. Davis pass was the key to the goal. The stunning pass, wonderful cross and excellent finish really deserve the recognition for the goal.

for fuck sake if Morelos doesn't do his part in the goal you don't see the stunning pass, wonderful cross and excellent finish - fuckin give him a break - wasn't that long ago Tav was getting all the shit on here that the Buffs now getting 

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

I prefer the Morelos of this season where he's not scoring as much, but playing better as a team player and the goals are more spread about, with much more fluidity running through our team.

Goals are great, but they aren't everything.

Kris Boyd in his prime used to do my nut at times. His goals were great, but I enjoyed the likes of Cousin, Naismith and Miller playing in a lot of the games instead because we'd play better and create more all round.

Morelos scoring means we're playing one way and our tactics of previous seasons were built to feed him, if he wasn't firing - neither were we! 

This year we have goals throughout the team and everyone is helping each other. Including Morelos who has been excellent with his link up play. 

32 minutes ago, JamieD said:

everyone who gets man marked creates space especially if they are mobile 

should have assisted morelos for every goal for pulling a defender away.

morelos never once went into his own half and he had the least amount of touches on the ball. . he had 27 touches in 90 mins and his passing accuracy was 70 percent. look at his heat map in a game it is pretty much non existent. he also only had 20 passes in 90 mins as a forward who drops deep.

worst player in the team on high wages.

12 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

for fuck sake if Morelos doesn't do his part in the goal you don't see the stunning pass, wonderful cross and excellent finish - fuckin give him a break - wasn't that long ago Tav was getting all the shit on here that the Buffs now getting 

I'm acknowledging the part he played. Receive, hold, lay off. He did a simple function well. You seem irked that its as simple as this.

Archived