*****The Official SL Benfica v Rangers Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JackAlex93 said:

Point would be a very good result for us over there. Think theyll be too strong for us though. Like others have said its a bit of a free hit this one. Dont see anyone else going there and winning in this group! 

I don’t expect anything either.  They have a lot of quality attacking players. Anything we get from the Benfica double header is just a bonus.  The final two games against Poznań and Standard is where we’ll get it over the line.  Ideally Poznań and Standard will draw at least one of their games against each other keeping their points tally low.

34 minutes ago, TMB said:

I don’t expect anything either.  They have a lot of quality attacking players. Anything we get from the Benfica double header is just a bonus.  The final two games against Poznań and Standard is where we’ll get it over the line.  Ideally Poznań and Standard will draw at least one of their games against each other keeping their points tally low.

Hopefully they draw twice,  that would put us in a great position,  even if we took nothing from Benfica,  if we take something from Benfica we should qualify. And we are capable of taking points off them, if we play to our potential,  

Would play Aribo and Alfie.....our best chance here is breakaway goal(s) as they are going to put us under pressure. The rest of the team should be defensive block....usual back 4 (Balogan or Helander),Davis,Jack,Kamara and Arfield with McGregor in goals.

Alfie has proved himself against big teams away from home in Europe in the past.

Hi guys, I'm a real Benfica fan and let me tell you that John Lima probably isn't "benfiquista".

A real Benfica fan wouldn't have voted for Luis Filipe Vieira to be our president, he is a thief and a fucking mobster that doesn't give a fuck about the club.

For the game, I really appreciate Rangers even if I don't watch the Scottish PL games because I really think it isn't competitive and has the same issue that our Portuguese League. It's strange that we have never met each other in an official game, 2 clubs that are the biggest ones in their respective country, 2 clubs of the fans and 2 clubs with a great history.

I think we're gonna win, to be honest, but I just expect a good game with goals, even if it's hard to score against a Stevie G team. One question, is Pete Love a member of this forum?

Good luck,

Viva o Benfica!

2 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Confirmed as no fans allowed (not even the 5k pilot scheme that was allowed for Liege last week).

Was reading there that their 20-million star man is out with a fractured foot and a couple of others too. Not too sure how good the others are though.

Effectively due to the pandemic situation that Portugal is going through, the government has banned the presence of a public in the stadium (including the 5%) who were in front of Liege! It is a pity, a stadium as beautiful, mythical as ours being empty!

As for Pedrinho hired Corinthias for 20 million, he is an alternate ... He has only played in the Europa League, he is still far from having a category to start.

I was already hired before Jorge Jesus took over the team. And even in an interview in Flamengo's time, he didn't see any qualities in him to play for Benfica.

It is not a relevant casualty!

Watch our game today at 21:00 (GMT). Boavista - Benfica, then the 11 best Benfica players will play today.

Aribo has to start. It's time to take the reins off him as he has now played a bit-part in 3 or 4 games. He was by far the best player on the park on Sunday before taken off.

It's time to get Roofe up to speed, so it is either him or Hagi.

On 01/11/2020 at 14:29, Rangers_no1 said:

It wont happen but Kent really could do with being on the bench for this. Might see him rested vs Hamilton next Sunday.

Yeah, he could definitely benefit from a rest but Hamilton makes far more sense than Benfica. Remember last year...similar situation prior to Braga away. He's got something that only needs a split second to inject into a game and very few players have that. His game and work rate are made for nights like Thursday.

38 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Benfica is playing tonight. I think the extra day of rest is a massive advantage for us.

Benfica prefer to have an extra day to prepare for a league game as they also did the same last week.

Will try to find this game to watch and see what Benfica are like. 

Hallo I am Portuguese man. I always like the teddy bears since I was a boy. Benfica are a big club just like the Glasgow Rangers. Hope we play a good technical game of football, and the Benfica CF scores a pure belter with his left peg right in the tap bin. 

I hope the management team go all out to get  points off Benfica, it would be great to get out the group with not having to bother about the last two games because we have a heavy schedule in December. Being able to play the bench guys in the EL in December would help us get max points in the drive for 55.

A draw between Standard and Pozan  would be perfect for us if we beat the Pork & Cheese.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

1 nil to Boavista.

Should be 2, Benfica might come back and win this, but I've seen nothing to suggest they are any better than the Porto side we faced last season.

There's a reason why they were knocked out of the CL qualifiers by PAOK with Chuba Akpom up front.

Only thing I can see is they have a bit of pace, so I would be looking to start Balogun and Goldson, which I think would be the case any way.

Archived