*****The Official SL Benfica v Rangers Thread*****

G.E.C.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think the EL games hinder our progress domestically, on the contrary they keep us sharp and allow game time across the squad. I for one desperately want us to do our best in Europe, it brings us credibility and money. We can fight on all fronts and we are already looking good to progress so we need to go as far as we can in this competition. This is a big test for us and one we should be eager to do well in. Let's think about Hamilton on Friday.

When you think about it Rangers and Benfica have a few things in common. Both have to share a city with Orcs who play in green and white hoops and inhabit the east end of their cities. Both are top of the league.

Amazing that we've never once played them in Europe. One of those teams i'd have been sure about playing if asked this time yesterday. 

Will be a tough ask against them but anything we get is a bonus as long as everyone is fit and ready for next Sunday. 

8 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We should be looking for 3 points at home, imo mate.

Of course many are solely interested in 55 this season and I understand that,  but I don't know how so many think Benfica are at a much higher level than us, I confess I don't watch or even check on Portuguese football,  but I do know we were a match for Porto last season and even if Benfica are better than Porto this season,  we are also a stronger team this season, so I expect to take something from them over 2 legs

10 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

First meeting between two historic football teams. Live on BT Sport 3, 1755 KO.

McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic; Arfield, Davis, Kamara; Roofe, Morelos, Kent

First official meeting but we have previous history of playing them in friendlies (been decades though).

1 hour ago, chris182 said:

We are better suited to teams who have a go and underestimate our counter attack.

Fingers crossed this is how Benfica set up.

Benfica are a good team. Our defence will have to do a hard shift. 

We should be aiming for 3 points. More than capable on a good day.

8 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Also signed Otamendi who's shit and lost Diaz and Vinicius. Two of their best players. The latter was top scorer in the league for Benfica.

Porto won the league last year and we took 4 points from them. PAOK beat Benfica in the CL qualifiers this summer.

Benfica are around the same level as Porto and are beatable especially Ibrox, some are definitely overrating them.

It’s the same with most teams we play in Europe tbf

Benfica are a decent team probably as good as Leverkusen but I still think this team is capable of taking a point- we shouldn’t be too down hearted with a loss of course but after going to Porto and braga and not losing either game there should be no fear from our players.  
fancy 1-2 for us

Archived