Scott Arfield

Laudrup1984

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking player who is getting better and better with each passing season. He clearly loves the club and wearing the blue jersey.......one of the first names on Stevie Gerrard's team sheet these days..... and fully deserved.

We’re benefitting from the lack of trans-Atlantic travelling!  Much more effective than when he kept getting papped out wide right.  I do like him and the salute gets right on the nerves of non-Rangers fans.  If he had more pace, he’d still be in the PL down south. 

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Stand by that we brought Arfield back too soon after the Gold Cup last summer. Even though he missed the Kilmarnock game at the end of that previous season, he still travelled out whilst training daily with Canada and playing matches.

I don't think he fully recovered from that both physically and mentally and the break this year has been hugely beneficial to him. 

He's also getting most of his game time playing in the centre of a 3, which is clearly building his confidence up to the point that when he's asked to play out of position like last night, he can do it and still make a telling contribution 

On Sunday i hope we are back to a 4231, such a more open system for Scottish football that allows us to attack opponents from various positions etc, can see why we play 433 in Europe (although the defence last night didnt cover themselves in glory defending cross balls) 

I think I've watched his winner about 50-times.

It get's better every time.

That pass from Kamara. If it was Scott Allen it would be getting talked about for years.

It's a tougher finish than it looks too as the ball had pace and had to be a controlled finish, first time into the corner (even if it was almost an open goal).

Look at the run Arfield makes too busting a gut to make it into that space - and to think the experts in our support thought his legs were gone.

Also seeing him running past the big sea of union jacks hanging up in the Copland celebrating is the icing on the cake.

I love him and think he's been our most underrated player by management and fans alike until recently. Along with Davis I didn't think Arfield was done at all if I'm honest. I just think both had to have their game time managed a bit better which has happened this season.

In his first season he showed he could play this type of role and even a bit further when he and Defoe were a great partnership.

I think last season he suffered a lot in the first half with having to play through in the Gold Cup with Canada and then played way too much when he came back. I think this was due to us having a smaller squad and it seemed the manager felt he had no alternative which meant him being used on the right more than he should as well. 

After the break he seemed to be refreshed and was our most productive player but suffered because Alfie was suspended/no bothering his arse, Defoe got injured as did Tav and Kent was bang out of form. So as Arfield started to come into form our four most productive players were injured or off the boil.

This season we've started to play much more open than before with much more movement which suits his style of play. Some better rotation from the manager, a bigger squad and the 5 sub rule have all contributed to this as well. 

Amazing to think out with Tav he's our highest goalscorer this calendar year. There's a huge debate, and it comes down to personal preference, but he might be the toughest player to replace when he goes because the type of player he is doesn't exist too much anymore and if they do it's for big money.

5 hours ago, Dado'sMulls said:

That's nonsense mate, Arfield was our most important player in his first season here. His second season didn't match it but in Gerrards first year he was absolutely crucial.

Is this his 3rd or 4th season with us?

Its only been this season and last season that he has been the box to box player that we need in our system. 

Wish we got him when he was a couple of years under.

I really never wanted him to start with. I knew he was ok at Burnley, but I didn't keep a close eye on him. It was the fact that a team like Burnley who weren't that good at that time were letting him leave for free was what made me think he wasn't the standard of player that we needed at that time.

Turned out Burnley's loss was our gain.  A bosman from a (let's face it) a small shit team that had over achieved didn't seem like the place where we would get a player who can play like the best player on the Ibrox pitch on a European night. 

I judged him before I should have and got it wrong.  Thankfully it wasn't me who was making that decision though. 

He has turned out to be class when he's playing like he's playing now. Just a shame that he isn't a couple of years younger.  He may need to be replaced next season when we're hopefully hearing that Champions league them getting drowned out at Ibrox like we were used to hearing almost every year once again. 

Can easily see Aribo taking another step up again next season and Kamara doing the same. So having those two with Arfield being backed up with some other could be some midfield.  The champions league groups are going to be on a different planet to the Europa league groups and we will no doubt be in pot 4. 

Imagine this:

Real Madrid 

Tottenham 

Zenit

Rangers

We would be lucky to get 2 wins in a group like that. 

When we played Bayer Leverkusen, they beat us without getting out of first gear. 

But I digress (just a little 😁)

I was wrong about Arfield, I'm happy to admit that. We need to just keep playing games the way we have all season, and that is going to be extremely tough. 

The priority is the league. I genuinely believe if we put most of our focus on those games, win the Betfred to give the team a taste of what it's like to win a "real trophy" . We need to get rid of the memory of last season in that cup and we have as good a chance as we will likely get again for a good time so there's no excuses this year and the confidence boost that will give us is priceless. 

If we can keep up the league form that we have shown so far for the rest of the season then its impossible for anyone else to win the league. No one can win anything if we keep going unbeaten. 

It's easy to talk, but we still need to actually do it. That's the hard bit. 

I just hope we don't take the bait and go on a short winter break. We have momentum just now. It's hard to criticise any player, so when they're on fire we need to just keep playing games and keep winning and the league will just come to us. 

Sounds easy. Having players who can take the place of the player who is in front of him is what is going to be the difference this year.  

Bassey looks like he could go to the top.  

We need this league this year. These guys have the chance to be legends.

It would finally prove once and for all that we are properly back. Just in time for our 150th anniversary 😁😁

Hearing Bill Struths speech on that day over the tannoy would make me cry. 

Sorry for the book.

25 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

Fair enough, I always think of McCall as more of a defensive midfielder, and Arfield is clearly more of an attacking midfielder. Both class though!!! 

McCall would often get beyond the strikers so wouldn’t say more defensive 

Archived