them

MisterC

14 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I mean, it's already been explained to you why 'Jap' is specifically regarded as a slur. If you can show that Pole is, then it should be regarded the same way. Can you?

If it's regarded as demeaning or belittling, it's a slur. If it isn't, it's not. Why do folk make this out to be difficult when it's not?

I’ve been around a long time and this supposed offence is news to me.

Every nation has an abbreviation of sorts (Frenchman not “Man From France”) so what is the proposed “non-offensive” term equivalent to Finn, Greek etc for a player from Japan?

Serious question because, having been born not that long after WWII, I’ve never heard this theory about alleged offence before.

You've also got the whole “offence is in the eye of the offended, not offender” debate as another can of worms.

Just now, Colin Traive said:

I’ve been around a long time and this supposed offence is news to me.

Every nation has an abbreviation of sorts (Frenchman not “Man From France”) so what is the proposed “non-offensive” term equivalent to Finn, Greek etc for a player from Japan?

Serious question because, having been born not that long after WWII, I’ve never heard this before.

You've also got the whole “offence is in the eye of the offended, not offender” debate as another can of worms.

As psb said, 'Jap' is offensive to the Japanese, mainly due to ww2/post war use. It became a slur because of the manner of its use, same way as 'Paki' (fuck it, just saying it this context, don't want to make a cunt of it again) in a way that other shorthand nationalities haven't. 

If some Japanese find it racially offensive, surely anyone with common decency would just refrain from it?

Just now, MVRanger said:

The term ' Brit" is used as an insult by the southern Irish against northern Nationalists. Adopting the same principles that apply to the  Japanese case maybe "Brit" should be added to the ever growing list of banned country contractions...:whistle:

Ok it’s banned now, happy?

55 minutes ago, Inigo said:

As psb said, 'Jap' is offensive to the Japanese, mainly due to ww2/post war use. It became a slur because of the manner of its use, same way as 'Paki' (fuck it, just saying it this context, don't want to make a cunt of it again) in a way that other shorthand nationalities haven't. 

If some Japanese find it racially offensive, surely anyone with common decency would just refrain from it?

I understand your point but there are groups (absolutely not saying this applies to the Japanese as a race) who seek and find offence where none was intended by the party making the original remark or comment.

Our neighbours across the city are past masters at this.

Therefore my rule of thumb has tended to be that the offended can’t choose to be offended by a remark which was originally said in innocent usage.

How on earth can one race know what another race, on the other side of the world, finds offensive when using a similar method of contraction, eg Finn, Pole, Dane etc?

5 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

I understand your point but there are groups (absolutely not saying this applies to the Japanese as a race) who seek and find offence where none was intended by the party making the original remark or comment.

Our neighbours across the city are past masters at this.

Therefore my rule of thumb has tended to be that the offended can’t choose to be offended by a remark which was originally said in innocent usage.

How on earth can one race know what another race, on the other side of the world, finds offensive when using a similar method of contraction, eg Finn, Pole, Dane etc?

It's usually pretty obvious when someone is being belittled or demeaned, or has been historically. As I say, for whatever reason, people try to make it harder than it is. It's not hard. 

3 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

Was playing pool with a couple of locals in a pub in Newcastle. They started calling me 'Jock'. Said I didn't like that and I would never call them 'Geordies'. 

One of them said, "I'm sorry mate, we don't mind being called Geordies. We like it. But if you've got a problem with Jock, it's nae bother mate. Don't worry about it."

That was about 20 years ago. Good people.

Spot on. No offence was intended, none was taken.

Cant be a fucking mind-reader.

Genuine question from an Englishman with a Scottish side in the family - and correct me if I'm wrong, but do many clubs in Britain actually like "them"?

Down south, they might have a bit of a connection with one or two clubs like Liverpool (we don't consider them English anyway) but that's about it compared to Rangers who have proper loyal followers from all over the place. I know fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall and so on who cannot stand them green lot for many reasons. Sunderland even showed that a few years back when they came over and tried to cause trouble but got dealt with, still love the sight when one of their fans was laid out on a Union Jack pillow!

Don't get me started on flags either because that's another confusing and backwards view they seem to have with their "anti" stance on everything. I don't know how much I'm allowed to say though. 

Sorry, a bit of late rant but I can't sleep with this humid weather bollocks anyway. 

Arsenal/Rangers supporter.

7 minutes ago, Red White n Blue said:

Genuine question from an Englishman with a Scottish side in the family - and correct me if I'm wrong, but do many clubs in Britain actually like "them"?

Down south, they might have a bit of a connection with one or two clubs like Liverpool (we don't consider them English anyway) but that's about it compared to Rangers who have proper loyal followers from all over the place. I know fans of Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall and so on who cannot stand them green lot for many reasons. Sunderland even showed that a few years back when they came over and tried to cause trouble but got dealt with, still love the sight when one of their fans was laid out on a Union Jack pillow!

Don't get me started on flags either because that's another confusing and backwards view they seem to have with their "anti" stance on everything. I don't know how much I'm allowed to say though. 

Sorry, a bit of late rant but I can't sleep with this humid weather bollocks anyway. 

There's an affinity with certain clubs that goes both ways I think mate.

Man U and Liverpool from what I've seen and heard, at least among fans.

Bit confusing with Noel Gallagher supporting City and turning up for their games as well, have never managed to work out the Manchester thing.

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

Well, aye, I know you think it's ok to use racial slurs to someone you don't like, given I'm pretty sure you've done it. :lol:

you are an absolute arsehole as is the wank who liked your post i have never racially abused anyone in my life nor would i you know fuck all about me at all i could go on but you have really pissed me off and im sure you'll get off at that as will anyone who likes your post

i was merely pointing out thats what racism is 

you really are a fucking kunt

27 minutes ago, Red White n Blue said:

Iv worked all over the U.K. and noted that in most areas there is a leaning to Rangers .The only place is noted a stronger attachment to the taigs was around the West Midlands were I met fans of Birmingham,Villa and Coventry have them as their 2nd team .

What I did find most surprising though was the amount of folk who were not really arsed about football Nevermind us or them .

I would say’s it’s close to 50/50 the amount of guys I have worked alongside down south who didn’t really bother about football unless it was a World Cup or a Euros compared to those who were as daft about it as the majority up here 

10 minutes ago, Rowley Birkin said:

you are an absolute arsehole as is the wank who liked your post i have never racially abused anyone in my life nor would i you know fuck all about me at all i could go on but you have really pissed me off and im sure you'll get off at that as will anyone who likes your post

i was merely pointing out thats what racism is 

you really are a fucking kunt

Never said you racially abused anyone, said you used a racial slur to someone you don't like, which you did, mate. Sorry it makes you upset, but you did.

Maybe don't use it next time, if that's how being accused of it makes you feel. 

Just now, Rowley Birkin said:

when did i do that?

Few months ago iirc. A year. Whatever.

Now is always the best time to see your mistakes and move on. Sounds self righteous, but it's not. It's true.

I mean that genuinely btw. Probably said some things I shouldn't have at points in the past, realised it's wrong, stopped.