** Last 16 Europa League **

BlueVanguard

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

I would agree if it was CL but I think last 16 should always be the minimum expectation in the Europa for a club like us, however it is amazing how far we have come in such a short space of time. 

Don't think any the teams you mentioned actually fluked there games as it's quite hard to do in a 2 legged affair, they all actually won quite convincingly in the end up. 

Molde/Granada fluked it, how Molde won that game with the chances Hoffenheim had i've no idea & Granada were holding on big time against Napoli. Young Boys did do well to beat Leverkusen though.

In years gone by I would agree that we should be a last 16 team but even back years ago that was seen as a good season, these days because of the money in football (lack of in the Scottish game) we're always going to be punching above our weight in these tournaments.

Aye money doesn't always equal success but when you see the amount some of these clubs have spent its ridiculous we're even going toe to toe with them. Benfica for example spent the best part of 100 million in the summer & from the teams left, Arsenal/Ajax/United/Milan/Roma/Spurs & even Villareal all regularly spend big money (in comparison to us) on players. Half the competition have squads assembled that are maybe 4x or 5x more expensive than ours & that's including the fact a few big names went out last night.

For context I think our 11 last night was maybe 20 million at a push...it's a credit to the management team/players that we're even still here & even more so the fact we put 9 by a team!

I think we have a 50/50 chance so I’m happy enough with that. I genuinely can’t believe how far we’ve came this season and I don’t want it to end. Credit must go to everyone who is involved with our great club, however, there must be a special mention to the fans. We’ve been through an absolute nightmare for the past 10 years but I can’t remember the team bus being attacked or the police having to dodge barriers in the car park. Steven Gerrard and his back room team and most of the players may think they know what’s coming when we finally clinch the league. However, they’re in for a shock because they will never have seen anything like it. There will be celebrations all over the world and I’ll be doing my wee bit with my neighbours to be part of it. I’ve been a proud Ranger for most of my nearly 70 years, but I’ve never had a better feeling than this. We should fear no foe at the moment and will definitely have a good chance against Slavia. Bring it on. 

1 minute ago, josmc said:

I think we have a 50/50 chance so I’m happy enough with that. I genuinely can’t believe how far we’ve came this season and I don’t want it to end. Credit must go to everyone who is involved with our great club, however, there must be a special mention to the fans. We’ve been through an absolute nightmare for the past 10 years but I can’t remember the team bus being attacked or the police having to dodge barriers in the car park. Steven Gerrard and his back room team and most of the players may think they know what’s coming when we finally clinch the league. However, they’re in for a shock because they will never have seen anything like it. There will be celebrations all over the world and I’ll be doing my wee bit with my neighbours to be part of it. I’ve been a proud Ranger for most of my nearly 70 years, but I’ve never had a better feeling than this. We should fear no foe at the moment and will definitely have a good chance against Slavia. Bring it on. 

I remember the cops having to dodge snowballs 🤣

12 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Yes we may be miles behind financially as a league and our domestic game is pish always has been but it hasn't stopped us going on good European runs, I think last 16 in the Europa league especially now we are back to where we are is a very realistic objective. 

We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and good runs in Europe only help that. 

I am delighted with our performances under Gerrard. But we have to recognise the brilliance of the job he is doing on the European stage with limited resources. 

The very DNA of Rangers is we want to win every game but the facts are we are punching well above our weight. Gerrard says that himself. 

I think to expect a “minimum” of last 16 is very very optimistic. Christ up until last year qualifying for the group stage was considered a success. 

I will be hopeful of reaching the Group stages of the CL next season and if we were somehow able to find a way of getting out of the groups that would be unbelievable. But for the size of our transfer budget and our wage structure I will always be hoping for the best

8 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Grandad didn't fluke the tie tbh. Fully deserved the 2 nil first leg win. Napoli had 1 shot on target. Got an away goal in Italy last night and killed the contest and seen it out quite comfortably.

Leverkusen got exactly what they deserved for signing and playing the utterly horrific Frimpong in both ties.

I'll agree with ye about the Frimpong part :lol:

Archived