Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

They'll get leathered in Europe but the bread and butter of the SPL jobbers, they've got it right.

This.  

Any of their lot ive spoken to in work and tried to wind up about performance in Europe, they don't give a fuck.  

They are just happy to qualify for ANY tournament group stage and don't seem to care about how they perform once they are there. 

Their board have sussed this and all the focus is squarely on league as the priority at all times for them. Any results in Europe is a bonus.

Gio sets up for Europe at the priority imo and the league performaces suffers as a result.

1 minute ago, JCDBigBear said:

He should be removed but he won't be, instead he will be allowed to continue to take us backwards.   The Europa run last year and getting into group stage of UCL will keep him in the job until the WC split at least.  I don't know how bad things will have to get before the board realise he isn't the man for the job.  Sadly I also think Ross Wilson will dodge any bullets and continue to bring in a high percentage of overpaid duds.

He should be gone just now yep but the break for the World Cup might be our only saving grace, without it I could see them keeping Gio until the summer no matter what happens

13 minutes ago, RWB72 said:

Need to go back to an aggressive on the front foot style in the league.

If Gio can’t do it get someone in who will

this 100 percent. Gio has sucked the life right outta the team. they don't even look like they enjoying themselves. 

its the spl were playing in ffs. his football is too negative and defensive, there is a time and place for those tactics and its not in Scotland. 

I don't think he will change tho. 

5 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

this 100 percent. Gio has sucked the life right outta the team. they don't even look like they enjoying themselves. 

its the spl were playing in ffs. his football is too negative and defensive, there is a time and place for those tactics and its not in Scotland. 

I don't think he will change tho. 

Yet we are still terrible defensively 

25 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

We need improvements, yesterday some players looked like they didn't want to be there,. I hope Gio reacts to that in the same way he did with Morelos.

How do we move forward? Sadly we need time to have recovering injured players return, but we don't have that. Gio has options, changing formation and bringing in more youth to inject a bit of energy into what looked like a heartless team yesterday.

Kamara for me would be the first getting bombed out - he was the worst of the lot for me yesterday. Tell Ross Wilson to finally fucking sell him and have someone in mind to replace him in January. Ross Wilson shouldn't be there doing that - should be first out the door - but let's face it he will still be here.

I would be promoting McCann and let him play instead of Davis too and recalling McKinnon in January as a start. I've said it on here before I've no doubts McKinnon can play week in week out at this level. Whether that is to a Rangers standard I'm not sure but it's worth a go.

24 minutes ago, GabrielTomato said:

My reflections on yesterday, Gio and going forward.

The players need to shoulder responsibility and I stand by that point, it was literally school boy defending against a team who were clinical, but I don't even think they even needed to come out of 4th gear.

There has to be wider concern around Gio, I was his biggest critic on here after the February game - I wanted him gone. Europe and the last 2 OFs made me realise that tactically he can read a game very well and approach it in a different manner than the February drubbing, it gave me hope and made me believe in him. 

However, as highlighted by the above Tweet, his away form in the League is diabolical and that is where the questions need asked with real improvement required. A proper shift in his thought process for domestic away games needs to occur for him not to lose his job. 

This part is really horrible to type, but they have taken a massive gamble and it has paid off more than any of them could have imagined. They have given full control of their Club to a Manager 95% of OF fans hadn't heard of. Not only has he implemented a playing style that treats Scottish football with contempt, his recruitment has been up there with some of the best you'll see in Europe. They have gone from absolute turmoil to flipping us into that position after 18 months.

Have they got weaknesses, yes, they clearly struggle after 60 minutes and I believe when got at, their CBs can be shaky. But in order to expose that we need to ride our luck, keep it tight for the first 20 minutes and play like it was the last 20 minutes and we are holding out for a 1-0 victory. We couldn't have attempted to do that much worse yesterday.

We need improvements, yesterday some players looked like they didn't want to be there,. I hope Gio reacts to that in the same way he did with Morelos.

This post also neglects the huge portion of the blame that I believe lies with the Board & Ross Wilson, but I think those changes will require patience and (no laughing in the back) unity from the fans.

How do we move forward? Sadly we need time to have recovering injured players return, but we don't have that. Gio has options, changing formation and bringing in more youth to inject a bit of energy into what looked like a heartless team yesterday.

But he must do something in the short term, he needs to find himself and implement a specific style of play on our team, which I strangely don't feel like he has after nearly a year in charge. 

I agree with most of what you've said , the only difference is I'd put the onus on the manager more than the players . 

I see little difference in quality between both squads , the difference is how they've been used .

I've said on another thread , Gio concentrates on keeping possession which inevitably means going backwards or sideways , it's slow and predictable . They , on the other hand , are more direct and braver on the ball , willing to gamble on moving forward , and if it doesn't work out they don't panic knowing they'll win the ball back .

It's really about systems , and ours is far too conservative . 

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Absolutely pointless comparison. Pedro was here for ten minutes and never had to go to Parkhead. He lost a combined 7 goals at home to celtic in the league ffs.

Gio has lost 8 in 3 games with only 1 for at parkhead. Disgraceful.

10 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Absolutely pointless comparison. Pedro was here for ten minutes and never had to go to Parkhead. He lost a combined 7 goals at home to Celtic in the league ffs.

He’s in good company then as Gio has lost a combined 8-1 on aggregate away to Celtic in the league.

I hate drawing comparisons to Smith as that’s probably a once in my generation type boss. However, his players ran through walls for him and even on off days, the last thing they would have given up was effort. If the players failed to carry out GVB’s basics like the tweet above, that tells me he’s potentially lost the dressing room and they’re not invested in what he wants to do. Effort, desire, will to win, etc was not there from the first minute. Compare the desire during 55 where our team were hungry, if anyone doesn’t see the alarm bells just now then they need to wake up. 

11 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Kamara for me would be the first getting bombed out - he was the worst of the lot for me yesterday. Tell Ross Wilson to finally fucking sell him and have someone in mind to replace him in January. Ross Wilson shouldn't be there doing that - should be first out the door - but let's face it he will still be here.

I would be promoting McCann and let him play instead of Davis too and recalling McKinnon in January as a start. I've said it on here before I've no doubts McKinnon can play week in week out at this level. Whether that is to a Rangers standard I'm not sure but it's worth a go.

Honestly couldn't understand the people who were happy that Davis got a new deal.

Said at the end of last season McCann and Lowry should be getting the Davis and Arfield minutes next season.

Hopefully we don't make the same mistake next May and renew any of Davis, McGregor, Arfield, Jack or Helanders contracts.

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He’s not the first, and won’t be close to the last manager with a rotten record at Parkhead. Our record there as a whole is rotten

Got to be one of the worst start a manager has had against them tho. 1 point out of 12. 10 2 on aggregate. Winning in cup semi was brilliant but even then didn't do it in 90mins.

9 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think it’s the manner of it that’s worrying. The February game and the game yesterday felt like throwbacks to the Warburton/Murty era, and that’s not a good thing.

The players shat themselves as soon as the whistle went in February. I get he take the blame and he deserves a lot of it, but he could’ve set up to a tee and it would’ve failed that night.

4 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Got to be one of the worst start a manager has had against them tho. 1 point out of 12. 10 2 on aggregate. Winning in cup semi was brilliant but even then didn't do it in 90mins.

Doesn’t matter if he never done it in 90, that’s not the rules 

11 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

We really need to be more direct. A lot of people associate the word direct with Sam Allardyce Brexit football, but that’s doing it an injustice.

We are very possession based, but it’s slow, one dimensional and often very horizontal. There’s games where we feel like we could play for a week and not score.

celtic on the other hand are direct. They move the ball quickly, they get it forward quickly, basically every other pass is vertical and it doesn’t allow teams to settle.

Gio is too clever to not see this, so I don’t know why it’s not being addressed.

he hasn't got much time to sort it out. nothing but a 10 game winning streak is unacceptable. 

37 minutes ago, Moody Blue said:

I hate drawing comparisons to Smith as that’s probably a once in my generation type boss. However, his players ran through walls for him and even on off days, the last thing they would have given up was effort. If the players failed to carry out GVB’s basics like the tweet above, that tells me he’s potentially lost the dressing room and they’re not invested in what he wants to do. Effort, desire, will to win, etc was not there from the first minute. Compare the desire during 55 where our team were hungry, if anyone doesn’t see the alarm bells just now then they need to wake up. 

In Walter's last season we got over the line eventually but the 2-0 defeat at Ibrox and the 3-0 away at Parkhead are two of the most gutless, terrible performances I've seen from us against them.