Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

After reflection on that shit show yesterday. My main concern is attitude and energy levels. Comments were made about some abysmal defending by Dundee Utd. For me we were even worse, we have just qualified for the UCL and have a wage bill of terms of millions. Yet simple things like running and being switched on at set pieces has seen us being given a lesson on how the game should be played, particularly at domestic level.

The first half was like a team who had no real idea what the game plan is, and after losing the first goal by turning their backs to the play, they do it again at a free kick. Any real leadership on the pitch would of made sure that wouldn't happen again. Look at the second goal they haven't even the basic sense to stand in front of the ball and slow them down, they actually stand to the side and provide a clear pass which eliminates three players in one go. 

7 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

His peg has until christmas to keep us in a titke fight or hes offski

The heat will be too much. Can see protests coming against the board too thicj n fast 

our poor form in Scotland is down to the manager imo.  were a much better side than he has us playing.  

48 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

We really need to be more direct. A lot of people associate the word direct with Sam Allardyce Brexit football, but that’s doing it an injustice.

We are very possession based, but it’s slow, one dimensional and often very horizontal. There’s games where we feel like we could play for a week and not score.

celtic on the other hand are direct. They move the ball quickly, they get it forward quickly, basically every other pass is vertical and it doesn’t allow teams to settle but they aren’t just hoofing it forward to the big man either.

Gio is too clever to not see this, so I don’t know why it’s not being addressed.

It’s so fucking sad that some people are now only coming to this realisation. It’s been apparent since the away leg at USG, and continued in the league games at Livi and against Kilmarnock. The 4-0 games have glossed over it somewhat but the style of play was the same in them too.

55 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

We really need to be more direct. A lot of people associate the word direct with Sam Allardyce Brexit football, but that’s doing it an injustice.

We are very possession based, but it’s slow, one dimensional and often very horizontal. There’s games where we feel like we could play for a week and not score.

celtic on the other hand are direct. They move the ball quickly, they get it forward quickly, basically every other pass is vertical and it doesn’t allow teams to settle but they aren’t just hoofing it forward to the big man either.

Gio is too clever to not see this, so I don’t know why it’s not being addressed.

The “horseshoe” way of playing that the Feyenoord podder spoke about.

2 hours ago, GabrielTomato said:

My reflections on yesterday, Gio and going forward.

The players need to shoulder responsibility and I stand by that point, it was literally school boy defending against a team who were clinical, but I don't even think they even needed to come out of 4th gear.

There has to be wider concern around Gio, I was his biggest critic on here after the February game - I wanted him gone. Europe and the last 2 OFs made me realise that tactically he can read a game very well and approach it in a different manner than the February drubbing, it gave me hope and made me believe in him. 

However, as highlighted by the above Tweet, his away form in the League is diabolical and that is where the questions need asked with real improvement required. A proper shift in his thought process for domestic away games needs to occur for him not to lose his job. 

This part is really horrible to type, but they have taken a massive gamble and it has paid off more than any of them could have imagined. They have given full control of their Club to a Manager 95% of OF fans hadn't heard of. Not only has he implemented a playing style that treats Scottish football with contempt, his recruitment has been up there with some of the best you'll see in Europe. They have gone from absolute turmoil to flipping us into that position after 18 months.

Have they got weaknesses, yes, they clearly struggle after 60 minutes and I believe when got at, their CBs can be shaky. But in order to expose that we need to ride our luck, keep it tight for the first 20 minutes and play like it was the last 20 minutes and we are holding out for a 1-0 victory. We couldn't have attempted to do that much worse yesterday.

We need improvements, yesterday some players looked like they didn't want to be there,. I hope Gio reacts to that in the same way he did with Morelos.

This post also neglects the huge portion of the blame that I believe lies with the Board & Ross Wilson, but I think those changes will require patience and (no laughing in the back) unity from the fans.

How do we move forward? Sadly we need time to have recovering injured players return, but we don't have that. Gio has options, changing formation and bringing in more youth to inject a bit of energy into what looked like a heartless team yesterday.

But he must do something in the short term, he needs to find himself and implement a specific style of play on our team, which I strangely don't feel like he has after nearly a year in charge. 

I still hope Gio can sort it out, but I am worried now that in the league he cannot find the right way to play and get the results we need.

Your last two paragraphs are spot on I would say, which is concerning. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

In Walter's last season we got over the line eventually but the 2-0 defeat at Ibrox and the 3-0 away at Parkhead are two of the most gutless, terrible performances I've seen from us against them.

That 3 nil game McGregor was utterly pathetic. Mentioned it last night.

If its the same game I'm thinking of, he also had a howler for the opener in the 0-2?

3 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

If its the same game I'm thinking of, he also had a howler for the opener in the 0-2?

Don’t know if it was a howler but he rushed out to get the ball and Samaras beat him to it iirc

26 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I still hope Gio can sort it out, but I am worried now that in the league he cannot find the right way to play and get the results we need.

Your last two paragraphs are spot on I would say, which is concerning. 

Sadly mate I expect us to drop more points at Pittodrie on Saturday. 

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t know if it was a howler but he rushed out to get the ball and Samaras beat him to it iirc

That's the exact one I was thinking about, clear howler imo, came right out of the box and got nowhere near the ball and gave him a tap in when two players were next to that greasy prick.

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Possibly could have came out a bit too early. Probably could have stayed on his line and let Bougherra and Weir try and push Samaras wide.

Bougherra was howling that day.

5 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

Gio needs to go on a 10 game winning streak in the lg. 

I think we've managed that once in the last 5 years.

Anything other than maximum points from Pittodrie and Tynecastle and he'll probably be close to an exit. If he stays, then hopefully he ships out several players who've been unable to put a run of wins like that together.

On the whole we play such passive football. Loads of passes/build up play resulting in the square root of fck off. Yesterdays game every time the taigs attacked you were fearing theyd score. Any time we had the ball we were usually ponderous compared to their quick style of play. Read a stat earlier about how little we have scored in the first 30 mins of games this season. We start games slowly for some reason 

7 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Anything other than maximum points from Pittodrie and Tynecastle and he'll probably be close to an exit. If he stays, then hopefully he ships out several players who've been unable to put a run of wins like that together.

Don't believe we will but we have 10 league games before the WC.

IMO we need 10 wins to stay in contention. Can't afford going further behind them.

I have tried to think why would Gio play with 2 DMs and the only thing I can think of is he does'nt trust the midfield and forward line to be switched on. He has inhereted a squad that is mostly average or below average. Some appeared to have downed tools before he arrived but he got them up of Europe. Players running down their contracts and putting in half hearted performances. This is not got a good feel to it.

How many of these players were Gio's choice ( IN :-John Souttar (free, Hearts), Zak Lovelace (Millwall), Antonio Colak (PAOK), Tom Lawrence (free, Derby), Rabbi Matondo (Schalke), Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich, loan), Ben Davies (Liverpool), Ridvan Yilmaz (Besiktas) Cameron Bell (Everton), Cammy Cooper (Partick Thistle), Bailey Rice (Motherwell), Connor Young (Hibs), Kieran Willox (Inverness))and how many were a compromise? We have brought in a few potientially good ones but I would like to know what the dynamic between Gio and RW is. Is Gio getting the players he wants or is he having to compromise and take what he gets and publicly declare he is happy as part of the internal politics.

If Gio wants to play a Horseshoe then we need  right and left wingers that are fast, can control the ball, get past their man, link up with the forward attacking players and attack the 18 yard box; I don't see that in our team.

I am not defending Gio but wondering what is going on in the back ground that we don't know about. My gut tells me that he does not have much sway in the recruitment, he may make suggestions, but RW decides.

Just now, Madina said:

On the whole we play such passive football. Loads of passes/build up play resulting in the square root of fck off. Yesterdays game every time the taigs attacked you were fearing theyd score. Any time we had the ball we were usually ponderous compared to their quick style of play. Read a stat earlier about how little we have scored in the first 30 mins of games this season. We start games slowly for some reason 

Thats exactly whats wrong, the build up is passive, ponderous, how many times have we had a corner that ends up back at our keeper, its really really frustrating because when we DO actually play quicker, the goal from the right against the Belgians, we actually look decent. Then its back to same boring shite. I think everyone knows that against the taigs you need to be more aggressive and assertive because the way the play is explosive, but its not unbeatable. Fucks me right off that we can we beat better teams, then come back to the drivel that is scottish football and be shite. I dont think the players get it, i really dont. 

2 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

well he has backed himself into a corner where he cant drop any points in the next 10 games.  watch every fan turn on him especially  if we drop points next sat. 

this system is clearly not working.  maybe 3-5-2 or something different but he wont change it.  

1 minute ago, sausagetrunks said:

well he has backed himself into a corner where he cant drop any points in the next 10 games.  watch every fan turn on him especially  if we drop points next sat. 

this system is clearly not working.  maybe 3-5-2 or something different but he wont change it.  

He didn't change at Feyenoord when hings turned sour and the fans were demanding it. Doubt he sees us any different 

Just now, sausagetrunks said:

Switching formations won't help our play become more dynamic, unfortunately. Although I'd welcome it to get Kent out of the side tbh.

Just now, The Godfather said:

He didn't change at Feyenoord when hings turned sour and the fans were demanding it. Doubt he sees us any different 

I know mate, our away record is abysmal, what is he seeing that every punter isnt?  its going to cost him his job.  i honestly think our team is far more capable and better than what were seeing but Gio is sucking the life outta them. 

if were out of contention in jan ? it would be best if he was moved on so we can start again because he will not change as you say. i blame him more than the players. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Don't believe we will but we have 10 league games before the WC.

I believe we need 10 wins to stay in contention. Can't afford going further behind them.

Not a fuckin hope we are winning 10 league games in a row mate. Fuckin disgusted